Quadratrac problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quadratrac problems

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
michel1972
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quadratrac problems

Hello,

I am the happy owner of a cj8 scrambler with a LS6 big block in it. I have the car for 1 month now but i am having problems with the quadratrac. For street use i dont have any problems but when i am driving offroad my quadratrac can not handle the power.

I have a front dana 44 axle with passengerside offset and a 9 inch rear axle also with a passengerside offset. The previous owner spend a lot off money on these axles so changing these axles is not that easy.

What can i do? Is it possible too buy a dana 300 transfercase and still use my offset rear axle? Or must i buy a dana 18 transfercase but will a dana 18 transfercase be a better solution instead off the quadratrac transfercase.

All suggestions are welcome.

michel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

You need to explain the actual issue. Is the chain jumping? this is a common problem and is easily fixed by replacing the chain. Are you engaging the emergency drive? If you don't, the front won't positively lock up with the rear and slippage can occur from a single tire. There are also part time kits available if you don't like the full time feature.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
michel1972
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The problem is that the chain is jumping. The previous owner and me changed the chain 3 times the last 6 months. The chain keeps ok onroad but when going offroad for the problems start again and the chain begins jumping. The previous owner also replaced the quadratrac because it was smacked too pieces. I know this cj8 has a big engine with very much power. Could that cause the problems? The engine is producing 450 bhp. Could the quadratrac handle that much power.

I have the ermgency drive but when i hit the throttle than the problems start and the previous owner destroyed his quadratrac when he engaged the emergency drive. It seems like too much horsepower than the emergency drive can handle.
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The q trac is a good case. While the 401 is a big engine, the t case should handle it fine. The fact the chain has been repeatedly changed smacks of another problem. I would inspect the sprocket bearings and the splines on the transmission output shaft/t case input.
Might also insure the splines on the drivelines aren't slipping as well. You can do this by locking up the wheels with the brakes and loading the drivetrain till something gives. Observe the drivelines. If you see either the front or rear yoke rotate then you have found your problem.
If you see either driveline turn, then that axle has a hub slipping.
Bear in mind that repeated heavy abuse of any component will eventually cause it to fail.
You can replace the t case with a D18 from an early CJ, however, the adapters can be kind of spendy. Try the Novak website for more adapter info.

Last edited by jeepdaddy2000; 10-18-2009 at 09:03 PM..
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
michel1972
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanx for your help! I will check the shafts and bearings. I was also thinking about buying a mile marker too convert it from 4x4 too 2x4. The problem is that the price for a mile marker here in Europe is expensive. Buying a mile marker in the USA and transport it too Europe an paying 25% taxes will cost me around 1000 dollar. A dana 18 with converter will cost me around 1450 dollar here in Europe. So i think it is maybe better too replace the quadratrac for a dana 18 or not ???

If i buy a dana 300 will it work with my offset 9 inch rear axle?
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel1972 View Post
Hello,
I am the happy owner of a cj8 scrambler with a LS6 big block in it. I have the car for 1 month now but i am having problems with the quadratrac. For street use i dont have any problems but when i am driving offroad my quadratrac can not handle the power.
I have a front dana 44 axle with passengerside offset and a 9 inch rear axle also with a passengerside offset. The previous owner spend a lot off money on these axles so changing these axles is not that easy.
What can i do? Is it possible too buy a dana 300 transfercase and still use my offset rear axle? Or must i buy a dana 18 transfercase but will a dana 18 transfercase be a better solution instead off the quadratrac transfercase.
All suggestions are welcome.

While the shafts/bearings may have caused the original problem, and still may be the source of the problem, check the teeth on the sprockets themselves. They will become rounded if the chain slips (or multiple chains slip) over them much.

Quote:
A dana 18 with converter will cost me around 1450 dollar here in Europe. So i think it is maybe better too replace the quadratrac for a dana 18 or not ???
Possibly, but that will introduce other issues since it doesn't differentiate between front and rear axle like the quadratrac. Here's a good explanation of what you may be getting into.
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ase/index.html

Quote:
...If i buy a dana 300 will it work with my offset 9 inch rear axle?
The sideways deflection angle on your driveshaft would be quite a bit. That, coupled with the deflection angle for any lift would make using your offset 9" axle very problematic.

That being said, you could make it work with a CV joint on both ends of the driveshaft but I don't think I'd do it.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.

Last edited by gojeepin; 10-19-2009 at 08:19 AM..
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
If i buy a dana 300 will it work with my offset 9 inch rear axle?
Nope. The 300 output is centered, not offset like the dana 18 and quadratrac.
ElZorro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

Quadr track pictures by fuzzgremlin - Photobucket
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
John N
1981 CJ8 

Don't let having to switch the rear axle keep you from using a Dana 300. Find a cenetered 9" and swap your center section into into it and move on. Still a cost, but better than using inferior parts.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Just like John^^^... For simplicity's sake later on, if I were doing it I'd switch to the Dana 300 and a centered axle... Ford 9", Ford 8.8", Dana 44, etc.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.