Quadratrac Emergency Control Mech - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quadratrac Emergency Control Mech

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
DirtyBen

Quadratrac Emergency Control Mech

How do I tell when the Emergency Drive is engaged? I turn the knob and no difference in 4-wheel performance. I found a vacuum hose disconnected, fixed it & inspected the others with no change.

Can it be manually applied?

DirtyBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
CSP

What difference were you expecting? There really isn't that much difference to be felt, depending on what driving conditions you are in.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
DirtyBen

Well if it really worked and was worthy of the "emergency only" sticker. Something should happen, a clunk at engagement, or chirping of tires on firm ground. Maybe a indicator light comes on or the steering feels heavier.

If its there it should work, do something ... If not its like breasts on a bore, useless.
Unread 11-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
CSP

Doesn't sound like you know what it does. It's fulltime 4WD. There will be no clunk as nothing additional is engaging.

Being fulltime 4WD the transfer case allows slippage between the front and rear driveshafts which will want to be at different speeds as you go around a corner. It will also allow slippage if one axle has more traction than the other.

The Emergency drive eliminates the allowance for slippage between front and rear driveshafts. There's nothing that really "happens". Go make a tight uturn on hard dirt with the e-drive off and then make one with it engaged. You should feel some binding with it engaged, but that's about all that you will notice.

If you're stuck somewhere and it doesn't appear that either the front or rear axle is getting power this is where you engage the emergency drive to send some power to the axle that does have traction.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The easiest way to find out whether it is working or not is to take the drive flanges off of both sides of the front axle.

Put it in drive or reverse, and very GENTLY try to move up a slight incline. You should feel it slipping in the transfer case. There will be a groaning noise. DON'T OVER DO IT. The slipping and groaning is the clutch cones doing their job. You don't want excessive wear on them. A seconds worth of slipping will tell you they are working as they should be.

Now lock it in E drive. Do the same thing. This time it SHOULD easily drive away with no slippage, IF everything is working correctly. If it still slips, STOP, do not try to keep driving it. It's now time to figure out where your problem is.

You could also do the same thing as above by putting the front up on jack stands with the only the front tires off of the ground. Just feel for the "push" and be careful not to drive off of the jack stands if you do it that way. When you try to move, the power should go to the easy to spin elevated front tires in normal mode. When in E-drive, the power is locked 50/50 to the front and rear, and you will drive off of the jack stands.

You could be looking at a broken vacuum line to the switch of actuator. Switch hooked up wrong. Broken/frozen actuator. Or as I found, the clips on the shift fork on mine were missing, the actuator moved but didn't move the fork.

Or everything may be working correctly, and it's your light that doesn't work.
Unread 11-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
DirtyBen

I jacked up the front and the wheels just spin when engine idling & put in gear. Is there a way to manually switch it? Or do I have to replace the lines & actuator?
Unread 11-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The only way to manually switch it is to remove the small access cover from the tcase, right above the actuator. You can get to the shift fork from there. Not sure if you can get to it or not, it was a tight fit to the floor even with my 1" body lift.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.