Quadratrac to Dana 300 conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quadratrac to Dana 300 conversion

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 10-14-2002, 04:28 AM   #1
sdavis

Quadratrac to Dana 300 conversion

I'm a converting a 1976 CJ7 (quadratrac) with AMC 20 rearend to a Dana 300 with 44 rearend. I have everything except the shifter I have looked at the double stick shifter, but I don't really think that I want this. I have some concerns about mounting the shifter through the floor of the jeep, because I have a t4 auto trans. I don't have a hole already there, has anyone done this before that can give me some advise. I know that I can order the shifter but I didn't see the metal retainer that goes over the boot in my catalog,will this come with the boot if I order it?

Thanks

sdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2002, 10:29 AM   #2
Bulletproofcj7

Davis,
The tranny is the TH400 (turbo 400) auto (texas pan) the t-4 you mentioned is a standard 4 speed.
There is an impression on the floor of the tunnel a large square or rectangle. this is cut out completely on standard jeeps and is replaced with a steel pan that is screwed down to the tunnel it has the holes cut for the two shifters.
you can find one from another jeep but will need to fill in the tranny shifter hole, or make your own pan from scratch.
or you could just cut a slot in the floor for the shifter and open it up as much as you need to be able to engage all ranges.
The shift boot comes with everything but the screws, the metal retainer is molded into the rubber on the replacement boots.
HTH
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2002, 11:14 AM   #3
rustyCJ

hey, id like to hear what happens with this swap. i dunno why but i was under the impression that with a 258 and th400 tranny that anything besides a quad transfer case would be too far back, unless you wanted the transfer case shifter between your seats. maybe im thinking of something else, either way let me know how this turns out, i might do the same thing.
Unread 10-14-2002, 11:59 AM   #4
sdavis

I started out with a AMC 304, so far I have installed a chevy 327, I did have to change the torque coverter on the 400 and also the tail shaft, I ordered a adapter from Advanced Adapters to adapt the 300TC with the th400 tran. the tail shaft came with it. I found a 44 under a 75 CJ5 in a salvage yard and had it rebuilt. I haven't put everything back together yet but I've been told that it will work. I also have bought a new radiator and edelbrock performer intake and headers. I just rebuilt the power steering box I've got a fortune in this now and can't afford to stop. Hopefully it will be nice when I'm finished.

Thanks for the comments.......

ps. I'm very interested in hearing anything about any simular conversions so Ya'll don't hold out!!
Unread 10-30-2002, 06:50 PM   #5
Brock

I want to do the same thing with the transfer case and rear axle swap. Let us know how it going and post any pictures if you have them.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2002, 08:23 PM   #6
rustyCJ

I had forgotten all bout this thread. sdavis, how is your swap going? I would love to hear what you have run into. keep us posted
Unread 11-20-2002, 12:08 AM   #7
sdavis

Just found out that I have to move the rear spring perches on the Dana44. I haven't done much yet, I'll keep everyone updated. I guess if the shifter has to be between the seats then thats were I'll have to put it. Has anyone ever done this????????
Unread 11-20-2002, 07:40 AM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Isn't the rear portion of the 76's frame wider than the earlier CJ frame that the D44 came from? You might run into problems of the rear tires rubbing the frame. Suppose you could go with some deep rims or even wheel spacers. Something to check out... good luck

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2002, 09:43 AM   #9
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by BESRK
Isn't the rear portion of the 76's frame wider than the earlier CJ frame that the D44 came from? You might run into problems of the rear tires rubbing the frame. Suppose you could go with some deep rims or even wheel spacers. Something to check out... good luck
All '72-81 CJ's have the same width rear axle whether it's the Dana 44 or AMC 20. Yes the frame got wider in '76 and some people have trouble with rubbing if they have too much backspacing on their wheels. With the right wheels or lift it's not a problem though.

sdavis you need to find someone with a '80-86 CJ and look at where their shifter is. Yours will be in the same plane from side to side, but not necessarily front to back since your T400 is longer than any CJ manual tranny or auto used in those years.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2002, 02:30 PM   #10
rustyCJ

Re: Quadratrac to Dana 300 conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by sdavis
I don't have a hole already there, has anyone done this before that can give me some advise. I know that I can order the shifter but I didn't see the metal retainer that goes over the boot in my catalog,will this come with the boot if I order it?

Thanks
there is a blank cover plate on ebay right now that would be perfect for this.
Unread 11-20-2002, 10:29 PM   #11
rustyCJ

um, so a pre-76 axle wont be a direct bolt-in replacement to a 76-81 CJ? the spring perches will be closer together?
Unread 11-20-2002, 11:25 PM   #12
CSP

Yep, the pre-76 frame rails are 27.5" apart on center front front to rear. The '76-86 frame rails get farther apart starting right behind the firewall.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 05:11 PM   #13
duitinmud

been there..

Here you go, don't get nervous but take your cover off and put the 300 in N or 4L which is forward. I heated the stick with a blue tip wrench and bent it so it was about 2.5 inches from the dash, now when you shift into 4H it will be just touching the back of the hole in you tunnel. Have I lost you? It's going to take a few bends and about a half hour to get it just right but it'll work and with min' cutting on the cover. It's got the curve of a Hurst shifter and it works, after bending dunk it in oil to harden it and your there. You've got a nice setup, should do real good.GL
duitinmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2002, 09:08 AM   #14
Brock

How far along are your swaps? Post some pics if possible.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2002, 07:03 PM   #15
sdavis

Hello everyone,
I work in Angola,Africa on a drilling rig 28days on 28 days off. I'm just arriving at work for a 28 day stay. While I was home I had my spring perches moved, no problem if you have a torch and a welder. I had a wedding anniversary plus Thanksgiving so I didn't get much else done. ya'll know how it is....
I don't have a digital camera yet I may get one after new years and I'll try to get some pictures. I'm looking forward to getting things rolling when I get home this time. I'll keep ya'll posted.
Ya'll have a Merry Christmas and A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.