quadratrac - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > quadratrac

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 03-12-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
Taylor

quadratrac

I have a 79 Cj7 with quadratrac, the only problem is the guy who owned it before me seems to have disengaged the 4 wheel drive mechanism. It seems that he just took out the shaft(sorry dont know terminalogy) that connects the front axle to back, but i dont know. I feel pretty stupid owning and driving a jeep with only 2 wheel drive. I am only a student, so dont have the money to really rebuild the jeep, I am just wondering what my options are, and if there is really anything wrong with it. If u think u can help but need to know more, write me back, and ask me the question, I will try to find u an answer thnx Taylor

Unread 03-12-2002, 09:54 PM   #2
Jacob

if he took out the driveshaft you would just need to install another one. you should probably check the front diferential for oil before you engage the 4WD

but this is assuming the "shaft" you are talking about is the driveshaft that connects the transfer case to the front differential
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 11:07 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Rember to "unlock" the transfer case when you do. The control should be in the glove box.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2002, 08:20 AM   #4
Taylor

Thnx, for the replies, I will check the front differential this afternoon
Unread 03-13-2002, 12:36 PM   #5
Bulletproofcj7

It soundslike he removed the front driveshaft to save on fuel mileage as i once did when i had Quadratrac. The font diff is still spinning however as they dont (normally) have lockout hubs.
I think i still have my old front driveshaft if you need one. It is in peices and cleaned and painted so it will need to be built, it is the cv joint type and is in sound condition the pin is not worn,and was out of an automatic, i dont know if that makes a difference or not, maybe someone on this board knows? $50. bucks if you want it.
jason
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.