Q-Trac with 80/90 in it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Q-Trac with 80/90 in it

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Chili4me
1979 CJ7 

Q-Trac with 80/90 in it

Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but.....

I have a 79 CJ7 that was gutted by a PO. I have been working through his mess, and got to the transfer case this past weekend an it was filled with 80/90.

Any ideas on potential damage if any?

Chili4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
ccbhunter14
1984 CJ7 

Not sure why there'd be any damage from the oil, anything around GL4 80/90 should run fine
ccbhunter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Chili4me
1979 CJ7 

From what I can tell it should take 30W
Chili4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
rishar1
1973 CJ5 

If he ran anything but GL4 in it you could have problems. Check for any filings/shavings in the oil. If alot are present I would recomend a tear down for further inspection.
rishar1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
CSP

No, GL4 80/90 is not fine! Only the recommended Qtrac TCL-1 lube should be used on a Qtrac unless it has been converted to part-time drive via MileMarker conversion kit.

The Qtrac has brake cones and clutch plates inside it that require a certain level of lubricity to provide the differential action necessary for full time 4WD. Without the right fluid these parts will wear prematurely and once they are shot the tcase is essentially shot and forward motion will cease to exist unless you engage the emergency drive.

Look here for detailed info on the BW-1339 Qtrac tcase: http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm

edit:rishar you need to quit telling everyone that GL4 is the recommended oil for tcases. It isn't recommended for every tcase or necessary unless the tcase and transmission share fluids.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
ccbhunter14
1984 CJ7 

CSP ur right, i misread the OPs thread title
ccbhunter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
rishar1
1973 CJ5 

CSP sorry for what I believed to be correct I have run GL 4 in all of my vehicles and have not since had any problems. I run it in everything from ford's to chevys and have not had problems. But I appologize for any incorrect information.
rishar1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
CSP

Sorry if that sounded harsh, but just because you've never had problems doesn't mean that GL4 is a one-size fits all answer.

FWIW, there are tcases like the Qtrac in this case that require a very specific fluid. There are others that require ATF, of which some are synthetic only (my pickup is one that uses synthetic Mercon for example). GL5 is ok (not the best choice, but still OK) for some that don't share fluid with the transmission.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishar1 View Post
CSP sorry for what I believed to be correct I have run GL 4 in all of my vehicles and have not since had any problems. I run it in everything from ford's to chevys and have not had problems. But I appologize for any incorrect information.

Generally
speaking, a good rule of thumb is gear oil for cast iron cases and ATF for aluminum. I can't think of a cast iron housing that doesn't call for 80/90.There are onesie twosie exceptions to aluminum as this thread shows (some Fords call for engine oil) but for most 4X4's of this era, it will apply.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
travisrda
1984 CJ7 

I did the same thing as what the previous owner did and just threw some 80/90 wt gear oil in mine and ran it. for about 6-8 months then I found out that you were supposed to run the special lube in it so I drained out the 90wt and put in the "special stuff" now it wound much happier I have been running that in it for about a year now and luckily I haven't had any problems with it yet this is in a 1977 wagoneer that is my daily driver.
travisrda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisrda View Post
I did the same thing as what the previous owner did and just threw some 80/90 wt gear oil in mine and ran it. for about 6-8 months then I found out that you were supposed to run the special lube in it so I drained out the 90wt and put in the "special stuff" now it wound much happier I have been running that in it for about a year now and luckily I haven't had any problems with it yet this is in a 1977 wagoneer that is my daily driver.
And you never notice a problem? Geez. My 78 Cherokee was incredibly sensitive to having the right lube. I tried the homebrew recipe for Quadratrac fluid (30W non-detergent motor oil plus a tube of limited-slip differential friction modifier) and found significant binding and poor driving characteristics. Switching back to regular TCL-1 solved the problem. BJ's carries TCL-1 for only $6.50/qt. View the Quadratrac Fluid at http://www.bjsoffroad.com
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.