Putting in a new defroster hose. 84 CJ-7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Putting in a new defroster hose. 84 CJ-7

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
quade
1984 CJ7 

Putting in a new defroster hose. 84 CJ-7

Am I missing something. This has got me frustrated to no end. I cannot get the new hose to fit and stay. The aftermarket hose's plastic clamps will not close and stay on. Has anyone else faced this problem and what did you do about it?

Thanks

quade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
CoryT
1984 CJ7 

I am about to replace this on my 84 as well, as soon as it gets here, should be any day now. If the hose clamps they provide don't work, I have some big ol' tie straps that i will use. That and some duct tape and you should be good to go
CoryT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
scooter
1982 CJ7 

I bought one from quadratec,same issue you have. Either end looked the same size,finally got it on the top section and clamped,the bottom clamp ripped off the hose and at that point I gave up on it. Its shoved far enough on the ducts it hasent come undown yet but it still pisses me off. If every part I had to replace on my Jeep was like this Id douse the bastage and gas and light it up.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

I bought one from 4wd.com and had the same issue. I used a heat gun set on low and lightly heated one end at a time. I put the top end on with the duct out of the jeep. Then I put the other end on the heater box, then mounted the duct. It was a PITA, and I did split the tube on one end, but it split where it is on the duct, so no air leak. It was tough, and frustrating, but doable. Plus, the duct and heater box had 2 small tabs that you slide the tube over before clamping so it won't come off. And I hate duct tape for permanent repairs. Sooner or later you have to go back and reapply the tape or fix it right and I hate doing things twice.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
VaCJ79
1979 CJ7 

I remember it being a PITA but it ended up going on. Its been over a year and still there with no problems. I'm not sure if this will help but when I put mine on I had the heater blasting to keep warm ( I did this in the middle of winter). The heat probably helped stretch the plastic.

Looking for : Please PM, Carter 2 barrel Carb before you through it out
VaCJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Same problem here but I used aluminum foil duct tape. Having been in the HVAC industry for years this stuff works great as a permanent duct closure tape. This can be found in any store like Home Depot or Lowes in the duct isle.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
Mike1084
1979 CJ7 

Same problem here. Seems the hose is a tad to small to slip over the duct and get it to clamp shut. I ended up braking the clamp on one end it was so tight. I finally gave up and just used some zip ties.
Mike1084 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
quade
1984 CJ7 

I believe that the zip tie thing is the way I'm going. I'll post later to let y'all know how it worked.
Thanks
quade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I had to use duct tape.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

If we're talking about the flexible duct from the HVAC box to the plactic defroster nozzle in the cowl, don't they still sell those at the dealer? I have a couple NOS Mopar pieces in the garage that I got a couple year ago.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Zip Ties definitely FTW
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.