Push Rods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Push Rods

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 11-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

Push Rods

Kind of a mechanical noob here trying to learn. Can somebody tell me why push rods spin while the engine is running? What purpose does that serve? I googled it and didn't find much.

cj7red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

To keep it concentric, if it stayed in the same place it would eventually wear oblong. Probably not critical in a pushrod but it matters for the lifters.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

If you look down the lifter gallery at the camshaft you maybe able to see that the lifters ride on about 50% of the cam lobe. The camshaft is cast iron and the lifters are hardened steel. Cast iron is pretty soft as metals go but it also has some outstanding properties for the application.

Please try to picture in your mind the lifter rides on about 50% of the camshaft, now as the camshaft rotates imagine the lifter spinning on the camshaft because the lifter is rolling on the edge of the camshaft. (almost like a ring and pinon gear)

This is done so that the lifter does not wear away (machining)the camshaft lobe.

The lifter will machine the cam lobe to the bottom profile of the lifter which has a slight rocker to it. Each lifter will wear to its corresponding lobe and when you change the location of the lifters on the camshaft or put new lifters on a old camshaft it starts the machining process again. The pushrod just happens to transfer this motion to the rocker arms.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra
If you look down the lifter gallery at the camshaft you maybe able to see that the lifters ride on about 50% of the cam lobe. The camshaft is cast iron and the lifters are hardened steel. Cast iron is pretty soft as metals go but it also has some outstanding properties for the application. Please try to picture in your mind the lifter rides on about 50% of the camshaft, now as the camshaft rotates imagine the lifter spinning on the camshaft because the lifter is rolling on the edge of the camshaft. (almost like a ring and pinon gear) This is done so that the lifter does not wear away (machining)the camshaft lobe. The lifter will machine the cam lobe to the bottom profile of the lifter which has a slight rocker to it. Each lifter will wear to its corresponding lobe and when you change the location of the lifters on the camshaft or put new lifters on a old camshaft it starts the machining process again. The pushrod just happens to transfer this motion to the rocker arms.
So if one push rod is spinning slower than the others, there's probably something wrong with the lifter or camshaft?
Unread 11-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

No, just as long as it spins
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra
No, just as long as it spins
Even if it's severely slower/barely spinning?
Unread 11-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7red View Post
I'd be calling that lifter and lobe done. Time to plan on a cam and lifter swap, IMO.

Shawn
Unread 11-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7red View Post
Just the pushrod or the lifter as well? I would think it would be possible for the pushrod to be slowed by the rocker and not turn as fast.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

This isn't happening with my engine (that I know of). I saw a video where a guy was trying to diagnose what was causing one of his push rods to rotate much slower than the rest, and at that point I didn't even know they were supposed to spin.

I am planning on doing a 4.0 head swap and a performance cam at some point in the future, so I'm trying to learn what I can in my free time. Thanks for the all the info.
Unread 11-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Maybe the others are spinning too fast because the rocker is out of adjustment? Was it a roller rocker you saw in the vid? They are SOMETIMES, more prone to needing adjustment.
Unread 11-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200
Maybe the others are spinning too fast because the rocker is out of adjustment? Was it a roller rocker you saw in the vid? They are SOMETIMES, more prone to needing adjustment.
No it was a flat lifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.