Push Rod/Lifter Replacement Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Push Rod/Lifter Replacement Question

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Jonesie
1981 CJ5 

Push Rod/Lifter Replacement Question

I am in the process of rebuilding an AMC 360 from an 88 Wagoneer, and during disassembly, I found a bent push rod and that lifter was messed up on the same valve.

I'm going to have a local shop do the block and heads, which includes polishing the cam shaft. I seem to recall reading that if you replace the lifters, that you need to replace the cam. And if you replace the cam, you need to replace the lifters. Furthermore, when I disassembled the engine, I kept the rods and lifters in order, so they could be replaced in the same valve.

Can I replace just the one lifter, or do I need to replace all 16? Similarly, can I replace the one push rod, or do I need to replace all 16?

Also, if I can replace just the messed up parts, do I need a new cam shaft?

Thanks - David

Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

If you have a faulty lifter and are rebuilding the engine I would just replace then all while you have it apart. As for the push rod you only need to replace the bent one.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Ditto.
New cam is better than trying to 'Polish' an old cam, and the same price.
New cam should ALWAYS get new lifters.

You CAN put a new lifter on an old camshaft if you have a lifter that goes out,
But NEVER reuse lifters on a cam if you can keep from it.
Lifters get wear patterns on both the cam face, and the lifter bore sides, and once 'Broke In' should never be moved around or reused with different camshaft.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Jonesie
1981 CJ5 

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to ask my engine guy about this. As for the push rods, I should be OK replacing just the bent rod, right?

Thanks - David
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.