push rod issue with 4.2l - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > push rod issue with 4.2l

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
JimNut
1986 CJ7 

push rod issue with 4.2l

86 Jeep CJ-7 with a 4.2l

Jeep was running great yesterday like it has been for a few months now. Went out today to pull it into the garage to work on some lighting and as soon as it starts it is backfiring/popping through the carb.

First thing I did was a compression check which turned out good. (All cylinders within 5% or so and around 110 psi) Checked a few other things and then decided to pull off the valve cover to make sure I didn't have a broken valve spring or something and found this:

Looked a little further into it and the push rod is not bent,valve spring seems okay, rocker is good. My question is what would cause this? Only thing I can think if is a collapsed lifter or something along those lines. As of right now the only way to get the push rod back under the lifter is to loosen the rocker and re-adjust.

Should I just put it back together and see what happens? I have a trip this upcoming weekend so I really want to get this figured out..

Thanks for the help!

JimNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

if the push rod wears into the rocker and you see the wear pattern touch the hole in rocker... it will cover up the oil hole, no oil to rocker, it gets hot and not lubricated. That would be my guess.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

Pretty sure over reving can also make that happen. Do that lately?
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
JimNut
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
if the push rod wears into the rocker and you see the wear pattern touch the hole in rocker... it will cover up the oil hole, no oil to rocker, it gets hot and not lubricated. That would be my guess.
I'll definitely look into that! I just put the push rod back under the rocker and re-torqued everything and fired the motor up and everything seemed fine. Before I put the valve cover back on for good I will check that

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJunk View Post
Pretty sure over reving can also make that happen. Do that lately?
Nope. Yesteday I just moved it around in the backyard and today I went to pull it into the garage to work on a few other things. Good thinking though

JimNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
GeCJ7
1984 CJ7 

This happen to me, however I thought the reason was that my motor had high miles. I too just reinstalled it, but it drop out very soon after. I took to a engine mechanic and they replaced the lifter and rocker arm with a new one. After that, all was well. Before all this, I used to have a bad lifter knock from a cold start for many years. I figured that the lifter was on its last leg.
GeCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.