Purchasing a 1979 Jeep CJ5 Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Purchasing a 1979 Jeep CJ5 Top

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Purchasing a 1979 Jeep CJ5 Top

I need some advice. I have a 1979 CJ5 but I do not have a top for it so I have to cover it up with a huge tarp and strap it down every night. I need to purchase a top before this winter hits and I have a couple of options. I have the factory original hardware but one of the bars has a huge bend it and will need to be repaired. I can buy a used factory top and some hardware for my jeep off of Craigslist for $150.00 or I can buy a new Besttop $500-$900 off the internet. I know the factory tops had all kinds of button snaps that I'll have to put back on the CJ if I purchase the used top. Any words of wisdom on this?

rollmodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

I have a bikini top but it still leaves an inch gap inbetween my doors and I need somthing over the back. Should i purchase a new top or find a used one?
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i always try to find a good cheap used anything before buying new but some people might tell you differently.
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I would look for a used super top in good condition first.
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

I have found a few on Craigslist but I am having trouble getting responces.
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Found one on Craigslist, frame and top for $150.00 Factory top not a Bestop I think.
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Ok, I bought an original 1978 model softtop with doors, frame, and the top. Its tan, but I can live with that. My Jeep at one time had a Bestop on it I believe because it has the "lip frame" like a newer jeep where it would snap underneath it. It also has the doors that connect at the bottom instead of latch at the middle of the door. I have to get this top on but I'm not sure exactly how everything works and attaches with a factory top. I also have to drill snaps into my Jeep for the top to connect. Does anyone have any advice on this or pictures you could post for me of the inside of your CJ so I can see how all of this connects please? If you could just take pictures of how it connects to the windshield, how the doors latch and how the top connects to the frame I would really appreciate it!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.