Purchasing 1977 CJ-7. I have some questions about the drivetrain. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Purchasing 1977 CJ-7. I have some questions about the drivetrain.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
BigDizzle005
1977 CJ7 

Purchasing 1977 CJ-7. Questions about the Quadra-Trac.

Hello. I'm new to the Jeep world at the age of 26 lol. I do have a full grasp of mechanical knowledge and own a couple of hot rods and a nice rat rod truck. Anyway, my father and I are purchasing my cousin's late father's 1977 CJ-7. It's seems like a good deal (he wants $4500). It has the AMC 304 V8 that has been fully rebuilt. Supposedly, it was restored a few years back. The body is nearly perfect with no filler anywhere. The interior is nearly perfect, with all functioning gauges, new factory seats, new factory steering wheel, and all polished pieces on the dash. I crawled underneath to inspect the frame and look for leaks. Frame is solid and clean. The front axle looks slightly wet, but no drip marks.

HOWEVER, I decided to do some research on the drivetrain. This year Jeep came with the Quadra-Trac system instead of the traditional transfer case of old. From my understanding, it acts like an AWD system, distributing power to the front and rear axles. For full time lock action, you turn the dial in the glovebox to "Emergency Drive"...for use in slippery or rough terrain. Then I remembered that the front axle had locking hubs on it. I wondered how it would work with locking hubs installed. I know they didn't come this way from the factory. With these hubs installed, how would I go about driving it safely for cruising and "not so" everyday driving? Could there be a part-time conversion installed on it? I know MileMarker has one. I did NOTICE a plug in hanging down beside the transmission. I tried looking for a place to plug it in but could not find anything near it for it to plug into. Could that be something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by BigDizzle005; 04-30-2013 at 11:33 PM..
BigDizzle005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I don't have your answer but here's a bump for you...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

Well the dead give away is if the rear diff is offset to the passenger side. This would indicate that it is still a q-trac. Those tubs usually do not have a transmission access cover between the seats nor a transfer case shifter. If you're lucky, it'll have a small flip lever just in front of the drivers seat on the side of the transmission tunnel. This was an optional low range switch for the q-trac.

Over the years a lot of people just yanked out the turbo 400, q-trac and off set rear axle and replaced them with conventional setups. During the late 70s and early 80's, several companies, including Doug Nash and Milemarker, that made a conversion kit to convert the case to part time...which included locking hubs to replace the front drive flanges. Search this site and you should get plenty of threads.

It's not a bad setup depending on your intended use however. Just my .02.
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

It may be setup to run like I do. I Unlock the front hubs, flip the switch to "emergency drive" and run with the rear wheels only driving it. I do it this way because of a front locker.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

It is a Jeep, which is Latin for "must upgrade".
First, verify it has the q trac system.
The q trac will be an aluminum t case with both drivelines offset to the passenger side.
QT systems will need to have a part time system in order to run with hubs and the e drive disengaged. You can verify this by unlocking the front hubs and with the e drive disengaged, try to rotate the front driveline. It should spin by hand (assuming the e drive vacuum operating).
It is not a bad full time system. It's biggest downfall is stretching chains. This is due to the entire weight of the vehicle being driven by the chain, instead of only part, in the case of t cases where the rear is direct drive and the chain only runs the front driveline.
The chains are getting difficult to come by and may be of inferior quality. The plus is they can be changed with the case still installed in the rig.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Does it have an automatic or manual transmission? Only the automatics had the q-trac.
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
BigDizzle005
1977 CJ7 

It's an automatic. I plan on crawling underneath it again tomorrow to see what I'm dealing with in terms of drivetrain. After that, I'll take it for a spin. I know it still has the control knob in the glove box for the normal/emergency drive. All I plan on doing is cruising it around town with the occasional trip off-road. I have another vehicle for the extreme stuff. It's something I and my dad can have fun with. Take my little nieces out for some fun and what not. It's not gonna be a serious rig or anything.
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
The chains are getting difficult to come by and may be of inferior quality. The plus is they can be changed with the case still installed in the rig.
I bought a Crown chain from Ebay, and it lasted a grand total of four hours before it stretched to the point of slipping. The seller was cool and refunded my money, and didn't even ask me to send the chain back.
I know of a place that has a handful of the good Morse chains, for $375. One less, after UPS lost mine.
The new Morse chain I have now has taken a beating, with no signs of stretching.
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
BigDizzle005
1977 CJ7 

Well I finally got the chance to drive it. It drove fine. Should it be able to move with the Quadra-Trac with the front hubs unlocked and "Normal drive" engaged? And I did verify it has QT. The front and rear differential are both positioned on towards the passenger side.
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDizzle005
Well I finally got the chance to drive it. It drove fine. Should it be able to move with the Quadra-Trac with the front hubs unlocked and "Normal drive" engaged? And I did verify it has QT. The front and rear differential are both positioned on towards the passenger side.
No. It will burn up the differential in the transfer case . It should move a little if your on level ground, but you will hear it slipping and groaning.
It will get destroyed in a hurry.
In "emergency" drive, it will drive fine with the hubs I unlocked. That's how I drive mine on a daily basis.

Unread 05-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #11
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
No. It will burn up the differential in the transfer case . It should move a little if your on level ground, but you will hear it slipping and groaning.
In "emergency" drive, it will drive fine with the hubs I unlocked. That's how I drive mine on a daily basis.

Unless it has a part time kit installed.
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
BigDizzle005
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post

It definitely moved more than a little. I took it up and down a couple of hills. I did a couple of hard accelerations and what not. I made sure the hubs were set to "Free" before I moved it an inch. She drove, so I decided to leave them unlocked. Does this mean a part time system has been installed? It never groaned or felt like it was slipping.

JEEPDADDY2000- You said to verify if I have a part time system on it, I should have the hubs unlocked (free) and the E-Drive disengaged. I should be able to spin the front driveline by hand. Does the Jeep need to have the engine running for this test to be done? I assume I can just put it on stands or a rack to see if it spins. Also, with the part time system, is there a gear lever or switch mounted somewhere inside the cab or does it just use the existing Normal/E-drive switch?
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDizzle005 View Post
It definitely moved more than a little. I took it up and down a couple of hills. I did a couple of hard accelerations and what not. I made sure the hubs were set to "Free" before I moved it an inch. She drove, so I decided to leave them unlocked. Does this mean a part time system has been installed? It never groaned or felt like it was slipping.

JEEPDADDY2000- You said to verify if I have a part time system on it, I should have the hubs unlocked (free) and the E-Drive disengaged. I should be able to spin the front driveline by hand. Does the Jeep need to have the engine running for this test to be done? I assume I can just put it on stands or a rack to see if it spins. Also, with the part time system, is there a gear lever or switch mounted somewhere inside the cab or does it just use the existing Normal/E-drive switch?
The fact that it drives fine indicates that either it has a kit or the E drive is engaged, regardless of what the knob says.
With the hubs unlocked and the E drive in the normal mode, you should be able to rotate the front driveshaft by hand, just like a standard part time case. If not, then check to insure the E drive is operating properly, and not permanently engaged.
It uses the E drive to engage the front axle. No other procedure is necessary.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
The fact that it drives fine indicates that either it has a kit or the E drive is engaged, regardless of what the knob says.
With the hubs unlocked and the E drive in the normal mode, you should be able to rotate the front driveshaft by hand, just like a standard part time case. If not, then check to insure the E drive is operating properly, and not permanently engaged.
What Jeepdaddy said.
When I got mine I had to figure out why it wouldn't go INTO E-drive.
Traced the vacuum line to the switch, it was unhooked. The vacuum lines from the switch to the T-case were broken and rotted. Took the cover plate off of the vacuum actuator on the T-case, and it fell right out. The clips that hold the shift fork were both missing.
Just some things to look for to make sure it is shifting in and out of E-drive.

Hopefully you have the part time kit. It would be nice to have.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
BigDizzle005
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Well, I crawled underneath it Friday and checked the front drivetrain. I was able to rotate the front drive shaft by hand with the drive in normal mode. I guess that means a part time system has been installed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.