Is pump air check valve neccesary? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is pump air check valve neccesary?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 03-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
larock
1983 CJ7 

Is pump air check valve neccesary?

The pump air check valve for my jeep was rusted in half and they stopped making it ten years ago so finding a replacement has been impossible. I know it's part of the emissions system an I know I don't have to pass emissions do is it even necessary? When its not in the engine runs a lot louder so if its not necessary can I just plug it up with something? And if so any ideas for what to use as a plug?

larock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

I assume your talking about the pulse air check valves? While not necessary to make your engine run, they will lower emissions by injecting air into the exhaust stream. People have clamped the tubes shut with no ill effect on engine performance.

You can read about the system here:

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/pulseair.htm
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

You can get plugs to put into the manifold where the tubes were. Remove the pump and any associated plumbing and call it a day.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Plugs I used were NTP brass plugs from Lowes or Home Depot, fairly cheap. Buy a few extras incase one works itself loose and blows out. that will scare the h*ll out of you when driving.

[IMG][/IMG]

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larock View Post
The pump air check valve for my jeep was rusted in half and they stopped making it ten years ago so finding a replacement has been impossible. I know it's part of the emissions system an I know I don't have to pass emissions do is it even necessary? When its not in the engine runs a lot louder so if its not necessary can I just plug it up with something? And if so any ideas for what to use as a plug?
does your jeep have a smog pump or pulse air system?. if it has the pump i have the valve and it's brand new! it is yours free, i bought it last year while searching for a decel valve for my 83. it is OE nos part# 271071133296. ill be back in the states april 1 and can simply mail it. i have no use for it. if you have pulse air it isnt what you want.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Maybe look at one for an 88 F150 5.0. I know they have a check valve similar to the one I had on my 78. Mine rusted out, but since the pump wasn't hooked up right anyways and in the way for my P/S I took it all off. You may have to adapt it some how, but it will at least get you back to working legally again.

I can tell you that the F150's uses a 3/4" pipe thread to screw to the air manifold. Don't remember the top side though. It is located at the rear of the engine above the bellhousing, there is a manifold that goes into the rear of each head. Maybe even a trip to the JY can find you one?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.