Pulls to the right when I brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pulls to the right when I brake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
David2012
1985 CJ7 

Pulls to the right when I brake

My jeep pulls REALLY badly to the right when i hit the brakes. I have been mudding recently, could their be dirt stuck in the caliper or something? Its not the tire pressure. If im pulling right does that mean that its the left brake or that the rights brake is sticking? Its actually kind of dangerous because any hard braking makes me severely vere to the right, need a fix soon. Any help is much appreciated. David.

Unread 11-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Kind of hard to say what is going on. If you have help, jack up the front and turn the front wheels to make sure no brakes are dragging. Then have someone push the pedal and see if both brakes are able the stop the wheels from being turned. If everything seems ok then I'd suggest pulling the calipers to physically check the pads for contamination
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

You could have ruined a wheel bearing, but most likely it is a sticking brake caliper. Take it for a short run and look at the rotor. Which ever one smells bad, that's the one sticking.
Don't touch it, they stay hot for a while.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Typically if it dives one way or the other it is the opposite side that has the problem. Make sure you didn't pinch a line shut during your wheeling, check the calipers and the slide. Again typically it is going to be in the front if it's that drastic. Wheel bearing is a thought or lose play in the front end, when you brake the tire will snatch to any area of free play.
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Pulling to the right means the right brake is working more than the left for some reason... stuck caliper, contaminated pads, or line leak/kink.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
sbc61
1986 CJ7 

I vote for the left brake caliper. Brakes are very important in most situations, so make sure they are in good working order. I would be a shame to dent your Jeep because you could not stop.
Unread 11-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
wes97
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Fix it asap. You might be able to salvage rotor/pads if you take care of it soon. Most likely sticking calaper. Either on the slides or the piston itself sticking. Either one is a pretty easy fix
wes97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #8
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

could be this:

rubber brake hose at wheel starting to deteriorate inside the hose.

normal issue with this problem:
when you release the brakes that wheel will continue to have braking as the brake fluid cannot flow backwards to the master cylinder, because the inside of hose has collapsed and holds the brake fluid under pressure, therefore, not releasing the brake.

but at this point anything is possible,

remember: "a vehicle that will not run will not hurt you, a vehicle that will not stop can kill you or someone else".

Giter her fixed~!!!!
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #9
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

forgot to mention:

when you do get the brake issue fixed, please post what the problem was, others of us may need that information at a later date

thanks and have a safe day,
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David2012 View Post
My jeep pulls REALLY badly to the right when i hit the brakes. I have been mudding recently, could their be dirt stuck in the caliper or something? Its not the tire pressure. If im pulling right does that mean that its the left brake or that the rights brake is sticking? Its actually kind of dangerous because any hard braking makes me severely vere to the right, need a fix soon. Any help is much appreciated. David.
I just LOVE those unschiduled lane changes when you step on the brakes,
And again when you let off the brakes!

It's pulling towards the brake that IS working.
If it tries to spin the steering wheel, it's a front brake.
If it just drifts towards the ditch or curb, it's probably a back brake.

Where I would start...

1. Check your master cylinder.
When you get low on brake fluid, one brake will stop getting fluid before the other, so you get a sideways dart.

2. Anytime you do brakes, you MUST start in the REAR!
Make sure your rear brakes are adjusted up, they have pad material on the Shoes, and there aren't any leaks.

3. Once the back brakes are checked/adjusted,
Move to the front.
Inspect ALL LINES FOR LEAKS! Front and Rear.

Then check the caliper on the LEFT SIDE.
Take it off the rotor, pump the brakes, see if the piston is working.
Be sure to leave the pads in place so you don't shoot the piston out of the caliper, which would be BAD.

Sometimes, the pistons get rusted into the bores, and they won't move.

Check pads, make sure they aren't shot.

Check rubber lines, look for leaks, cracks, ect.
A rubber line CAN degrade internally.
I've seen them NOT pass brake fluid they are so damaged internally...
If the rubber is cracked, or they are more than about 10 years old, CHANGE THEM.

When you are done with visual inspection, try bleeding the fronts, stating with left side, see if you get any air bubbling up out of the bleeder.
If you find air, then you have a leak.
Start looking for a line leak or leak at the piston seals.

The fact that you have ONE front brake working means your master cylinder is doing it's job, so it's probably NOT the master cylinder,
But I suggest you pull the carpet back, look INSIDE the vehicle, and between booster and master cylinder for fluid leaks.
Often times, when something goes, the rest of the system isn't in good shape either...

Mudding usually isn't a factor, other than to pack mud in everywhere you want to inspect now...
Mud is hard on pads, rotors, wheel seals, ect.
But it usually doesn't effect the brake calipers.

Since you use the brakes before the mud dries solid, it's usually pushed out of the way and doesn't effect the brake function.
Mud and Rust can effect the ability of the pads to move in the caliper,
And the caliper to move on the caliper mount, so while you are there, don't forget to use 'Never-Seize' on the moving parts of the brake brackets/caliper when you re-assemble. (Just keep it off the pad faces and rotor!)
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.