Pull or twist horn button to remove? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pull or twist horn button to remove?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
ProdigalJeeper
1979 CJ5 

Pull or twist horn button to remove?

Need to remove steering wheel on 1979 CJ5 (Silver Anniversary Edition) to replace the turn signal arm.

I've read several places about removing the horn button and some say, after disconnecting the battery, "twist" the horn button and some say, "pull" on the horn button to remove it. I've tried a little pressure for both but haven't really put any oomph into it yet as one site cautioned if you guess wrong, the horn button will break and might as well go in the trash.

The Jeep is all stock and I'm hoping to keep it that way.

Any advice?

ProdigalJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
hicks1983
1985 CJ7 

Pull. It has four or five plastic teeth that hold it in place. Be gentle because they snap easily but twisting will do nothing. It pulls off
hicks1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
ProdigalJeeper
1979 CJ5 

PM for a pic for clarification

I do not picture posting privileges at this time.
Unread 04-08-2014, 03:31 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Pull

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
ProdigalJeeper
1979 CJ5 

Thanks John! You're article will save me a trip to the local Jeep mechanic. The pics are of the exact same steering wheel and steering column on my Jeep so there won't be any "I guess this is what he meant" moments. Thanks again.
Unread 04-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
ProdigalJeeper
1979 CJ5 

Hey John,

Update: Got it apart and put back together thanks to your pics. One suggestion on removing the horn contact spring would be to remove the entire plastic bracket holding it (3 small screws) rather than popping the metal piece out. The 35 year old plastic ring that holds it in place was brittle and couldn't take the pressure and a 1/4" long piece cracked off. Not enough to make anything non-functional though ...

While I was in there, I noticed that the turn signal switch is cracked ... still works so I'll replace it later. At least I know how to get in there now.

Many thanks!
Unread 04-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
CSP

Just an FYI that Jeep used GM Saginaw columns from '76 and up. You can find many of the parts to this day as every GM car back then as well as Jeep vehicles had the same basic columns in them.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.