Pull head with intake/exhaust attached? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pull head with intake/exhaust attached?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
CoastieCJ

Pull head with intake/exhaust attached?

Like the title states, is it possible to pull the head on a 258 (currently with mopar MPI) with both intake and exhaust manifolds attached? I've got a hoist and this seems to be a much easier solution than trying to mess with all the lower bolts. I'm assuming I'll need to unbolt the PS pump bracket, disconnect the wiring harness and fuel lines. Anything else?
Thanks!
-Lloyd

Unread 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

What's your plans on disconnecting the exhaust pipe from the header? The worst part, is getting that re-attached. I spent a hour trying to get those two flange bolts to line up. I ended up cutting the exhaust pipe, bolting it up, and re-welding the pipe.

On the manifolds, I used a 5" 1/4 drive extension, snaked in there, to get the tricky manifold bolts loose. I had to pull the carb to get any decent access, though.
trillobite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
CoastieCJ

While I've got the head off, I'm going to swap it out for a 4.0. If it can be done with the manifolds bolted to the head, I'll just switch everything over and then put it back in. The current exhaust is fully welded, so I'll need to cut it, put on the new 4.0 downpipe and then take it to a muffler shop to re-connect everything.
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
TRex

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieCJ View Post
While I've got the head off, I'm going to swap it out for a 4.0. If it can be done with the manifolds bolted to the head, I'll just switch everything over and then put it back in. The current exhaust is fully welded, so I'll need to cut it, put on the new 4.0 downpipe and then take it to a muffler shop to re-connect everything.
I'm sure working on the heads can be done without removing the engine but I think the problems you may run into will be:
1. Safely handling the weight of the heads while removing/installing
2. Completely removing the old gasket from the block (you'll be super cramped).
3. Replacing the gaskets and situating the heads without damaging either.

That said, I'm sure a number folks have done it successfully. I'm just giving you a heads-up on the issues you may encounter. Take your time, use the correct tools (hint: engine hoist) and be diligent and you should be good.

Best of luck!
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I do it usually. I also like to have a helper or a hoist when putting it back on so the headgasket doesn't get damaged, sucker is heavy.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

If I had to pull the head for a head gasket or something like that, I'd do it with the manifolds attached. If you could, even use a couple studs (or cut heads off a couple old head bolts) to help align as it is lowered on. Just make sure you are able to remove them once the head is in place.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.