Pull fuel and temp gauge from speedo cluster - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-27-2002, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Jeep Daddy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Post Pull fuel and temp gauge from speedo cluster

I found a site that tells you just about everything you need to know about these gauges except how to take them out and put them back. I can't see what hold em in. Do ya think I have to pull out the whole speedo cluster to do it?

2004 Rubicon, 6" lift, 35s, winch, hard top, full doors, bumpers, tire carrier and rock sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-27-2002, 11:30 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

If you are trying to replace your gauges in the speedo cluster, you need to take it out. the back of the cluster is held on by bending it around the front. carefully straighten the four crimps and the back will come off. The gauges are attached by a couple of nuts on the studs to the back. When you are done replacing the gauges, simply rebend the crimps and you are back in buisness.Good luck

bazinga
post #3 of 6 Old 03-02-2002, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Jeep Daddy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thumbs up

Thanks JeepDaddy2000. I just finished replacing the gauges. I'm somewhat successful. The temp gauge works now, but the fuel gauge is still working whacky. I know it's the sending unit now. I bought a new sending unit a couple of weeks ago, but it was defective from the get go. I tried to solder the broken wire but wound up trashing the thing. It was a cheep piece of trash anyway. I'll purchase a better brand next time. I guess it's time to drop the tank. I just filled it up with gas so I'll wait until I run it out of gas. At the same time I'll replace the filler tube and vent tube.

You ever drop a gas tank? Anything I should watch out for other than the usuall fire hazards? I know a guy that burnt himself up in his garage pulling his tank next to the water heater. I'll turn off the pilot and gas before I start that job.

2004 Rubicon, 6" lift, 35s, winch, hard top, full doors, bumpers, tire carrier and rock sliders.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-03-2002, 11:05 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Just remember that all your wires and fuel lines attach to the sending unit that is located on the TOP of the tank.It is usualy a simple operation, just remember if it doesn't want to come out, check to make sure everything is unhooked. I know this sounds stupid but safety is common sense. Do it in a ventelated space away from fire. you will get some gas and fumes around as be ready. PS this is a good time to wear safety glasses as there will be dirt falling in your face.

bazinga
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2002, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Jeep Daddy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepdaddy2000:
Just remember that all your wires and fuel lines attach to the sending unit that is located on the TOP of the tank.
JD2000 - can the sending unit be removed without removing the tank? I vaguely remember reading something about an access plate under the back seat for fuel tank access. I don't have any idea how large it is, or if it exists. Also, Do you know of a quality sending unit. The last one I bought was trash before I got it out of the box.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2002, 12:10 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Well, you can cut an acess hole if you like(I've thought about it myself!)Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers used to carry a good unit, might try them

bazinga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.