Pull fuel and temp gauge from speedo cluster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pull fuel and temp gauge from speedo cluster

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-27-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pull fuel and temp gauge from speedo cluster

I found a site that tells you just about everything you need to know about these gauges except how to take them out and put them back. I can't see what hold em in. Do ya think I have to pull out the whole speedo cluster to do it?

Unread 02-27-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

If you are trying to replace your gauges in the speedo cluster, you need to take it out. the back of the cluster is held on by bending it around the front. carefully straighten the four crimps and the back will come off. The gauges are attached by a couple of nuts on the studs to the back. When you are done replacing the gauges, simply rebend the crimps and you are back in buisness.Good luck
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2002, 07:06 PM   #3
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks JeepDaddy2000. I just finished replacing the gauges. I'm somewhat successful. The temp gauge works now, but the fuel gauge is still working whacky. I know it's the sending unit now. I bought a new sending unit a couple of weeks ago, but it was defective from the get go. I tried to solder the broken wire but wound up trashing the thing. It was a cheep piece of trash anyway. I'll purchase a better brand next time. I guess it's time to drop the tank. I just filled it up with gas so I'll wait until I run it out of gas. At the same time I'll replace the filler tube and vent tube.

You ever drop a gas tank? Anything I should watch out for other than the usuall fire hazards? I know a guy that burnt himself up in his garage pulling his tank next to the water heater. I'll turn off the pilot and gas before I start that job.
Unread 03-03-2002, 11:05 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Just remember that all your wires and fuel lines attach to the sending unit that is located on the TOP of the tank.It is usualy a simple operation, just remember if it doesn't want to come out, check to make sure everything is unhooked. I know this sounds stupid but safety is common sense. Do it in a ventelated space away from fire. you will get some gas and fumes around as be ready. PS this is a good time to wear safety glasses as there will be dirt falling in your face.
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:53 AM   #5
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepdaddy2000:
Just remember that all your wires and fuel lines attach to the sending unit that is located on the TOP of the tank.
JD2000 - can the sending unit be removed without removing the tank? I vaguely remember reading something about an access plate under the back seat for fuel tank access. I don't have any idea how large it is, or if it exists. Also, Do you know of a quality sending unit. The last one I bought was trash before I got it out of the box.
Unread 03-05-2002, 12:10 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Well, you can cut an acess hole if you like(I've thought about it myself!)Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers used to carry a good unit, might try them

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.