PSC steering kits? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PSC steering kits?

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

PSC steering kits?

Anyone running one? I just picked up one for $120 on craigs list. It uses the oem pump, but I picked up the steering box, hoses, and the ram. I'm curious if anyone else uses this kit, and am curious how to set up the ram??? I know I'm suppost to mount one side to the axle tube and the other to the tie rod, but how do I set it up?

Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

You're running the booster type kit in addition to the normal steering box, right?

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

No clue! This is what I got, the guy told me it would work with my factory pump... That I just have to weld tabs to mount the ram
image-173627278.jpg  
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

OK... That's what I was asking.

That kit allows you to keep your power assisted steering while adding a ram for the extra turning power. You will need to replace your current steering box with the one in the kit.

Turn the steering fully to the right.

Then mock up your setup and tack weld the tabs to the tie rod and mount the ram to that mount (do not place the other). Then have someone turn the steering lock to lock and see if the ram moves the same direction as the steering.

If it does, turn the steering fully right and mount the other end to the axle tube where it will clear the pumpkin.

If it doesn't, flip the hoses or the ram and mount it where it will clear the pumpkin.

When you're sure it travels the full distance freely, finish welding the tabs.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

Thanks, one question though. The kit is foe the wide track axles, I have the narrow tracks... Is this a problem?
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Probably not. Clearance will be your main concern. You'll need to mount it where it will travel the full range and not strike other components.

The narrow track axle may make that more of a challenge but the steering range is identical.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.