Prothane motor mount + shim plates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Prothane motor mount + shim plates

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Orlie
1986 CJ7 

Prothane motor mount + shim plates

I bought a set of Prothane motor mounts for my 86 CJ7 258. One side had the shim the other did not but this is not the concern, if I need to make one no problem. My question is do I need the shim plates for support or are they for alingment. The shim sits between the motor mount and the motor mount bracket which attaches to the engine. The old motor mount measures 1.7160(I know it is compressed) with the shim and the new motor mount measures 1.7235 with no shim with the shim its 1.9115. Now the new motor mount flange is .1750 which is almost the same thickness as the old motor mount flange and the shim together. So after all that do I need the shims. Hope this made sense.

Orlie

Orlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Orlie, you approached it the same way I did. With those figures, I just left the shims out (I had 1 on each side) and really don't think I'll ever see an issue doing so.
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

I also ran into this problem. Prothane did not ship directions. I left out the factory shim plates also. The only problem it created is the exhaust is about 3/8 inch from the motor mount and that was after much adjusting of the pipe. So I wrapped the pipe in header wrap and hope it does not get too hot. The shims would give me another 1/4 to 3/8 I suppose.

One other thing, the gold anodized plates molded into the mounts need to point up. I did not know this and pointed them down. Later found a picture on prothane website with them pointing up. I wish they would have included some basic instructions
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Orlie
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the info, I agree with leaving the shims off the motor mounts. I did some research on the frame tie in bar to keep the frame from opening up. My
CJ7 did not come with one and was wondering if anyone has a good picture of it or know where I can get one. The picture would be great just incase I need to make one

Orlie
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlie View Post
Thanks for the info, I agree with leaving the shims off the motor mounts. I did some research on the frame tie in bar to keep the frame from opening up. My
CJ7 did not come with one and was wondering if anyone has a good picture of it or know where I can get one. The picture would be great just incase I need to make one

Orlie
I got one on ebay for $25 shipped. I'll post a pic later for you.
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

I almost posted this exact same question yesterday too. I have The energy suspension mounts, which are very similar. The metal on the aftermarket mounts is the same thickness as the shim plate. The only "structural" reason I would thing it woudl be there is on "stock" mounts the metal is pretty flimsy where on the aftermarket kits the metal is strong. Maybe the shim plate was in effort to help beef up the connection to the stock mounts? I left mine off as they seemed the right size without it.
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Orlie
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
I got one on ebay for $25 shipped. I'll post a pic later for you.
Got a Link

Orlie
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

Here ya go. I also included a pic of the exhaust pipe/mount clearance. I used a new Walker downpipe. My OEM pipe was crushed from the PO when the motor mount failed

You can see the motor mounts are installed opposite of how Prothane shows them on their website (thanks for including instructions Prothane) I plan to flip them when I do my RMS and oil pan gasket.

Excuse the mess of wires and jackstand storage area She is not quite in running condition yet
dscn4213.jpg   dscn4219.jpg  
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Mine don't have that extra extension of metal but I can't imagine why it would even matter how they're positioned. The reason they probably don't offer instructions with the product is because it doesn't matter if it's up or down.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.