pro's only - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > pro's only

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-18-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
off-road arkie

pro's only

what would a 79 cj 304, auto, 68200 miles, original paint, no rust, hardtop and hard doors be worth? thanks ...

Unread 03-19-2003, 07:03 AM   #2
pontiac58
1980 CJ7 

I have basically the same jeep, 80, 304, auto, 75,000 miles, but the rust is to a minamial.

I paid 2500 for mine, but i stole it. It wasnt running and when it did, it ran so bad is scared everyone away from it. The jerkoff that let it start rusting (carpet in a CJ ) wanted 5000 for it. Well with it not running i finally got him down to 2500. If it was running the way it runs now, i would have paid him the 5,000 for it. Finding a good almost rust free CJ in New Jersey is like finding a needle.

After i got it home, cleaned it up, dropped the tank, rebuilt the carb, gave her a tune up. I was offered 6,500 for it the first time out of the garage. Since i have lifted it and built rears for it and on and on, i have been offered 9,000 for it. So depending on how nice the body is and how it runs, will really make it what it is worth.
pontiac58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2003, 11:58 AM   #3
rustyCJ

there is a tremendous difference between an '80 and a '79. a '79 has an AMC bolt pattern th400, QT and an offset rear diff. the 80 prolly has a 999 with a short rear dana 300. the '80 is much more diserable.

it is worth however much someone is willing to pay for it. i have seen rust free stock CJs go from $10,000 to $500. your question is way too vague to give you anywhere close to a close guess.
Unread 03-19-2003, 06:37 PM   #4
pontiac58
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyCJ
there is a tremendous difference between an '80 and a '79. a '79 has an AMC bolt pattern th400, QT and an offset rear diff. the 80 prolly has a 999 with a short rear dana 300. the '80 is much more diserable.

it is worth however much someone is willing to pay for it. i have seen rust free stock CJs go from $10,000 to $500. your question is way too vague to give you anywhere close to a close guess.
No **** there are differences. Tremendous difference i dont think so. You call a ttemendous difference a tranny, rear and a tcase. You make it sound like the difference between a CJ and a YJ. Most people that are just getting into jeeping that would buy that jeep wont even know the difference between a 80 and a 79. I sure didnt. I knew it was a basically rust free CJ and it was a factory v8 auto, that had never been modded.
Unread 03-19-2003, 08:37 PM   #5
off-road arkie

thanks.. i like the the way you tell it like it is , thats what makes use different from the rest. jeepers are ususally honest. my main concern is the auto, i dont know if i will like it and is the 304 costly to rebuild? how many miles are they good for? i have only ran yj's with fourbangers and this cj deal is a whole other world. thanks again...
Unread 03-19-2003, 09:33 PM   #6
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally posted by pontiac58

No **** there are differences. Tremendous difference i dont think so. You call a ttemendous difference a tranny, rear and a tcase. You make it sound like the difference between a CJ and a YJ. Most people that are just getting into jeeping that would buy that jeep wont even know the difference between a 80 and a 79. I sure didnt. I knew it was a basically rust free CJ and it was a factory v8 auto, that had never been modded.
he asked what it would be worth, not what a jeep newbie would know about it or buy it for.

when speaking about value, there is a tremendous difference between the 80 and 79 because of the tranny, tcase, and rear. sorry if you took offense to my post, i was only trying to get the point across that the 80 would be worth more than the 79 even if the 79 was rust free and perfect paint.
Unread 03-20-2003, 07:45 AM   #7
pontiac58
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyCJ

he asked what it would be worth, not what a jeep newbie would know about it or buy it for.

when speaking about value, there is a tremendous difference between the 80 and 79 because of the tranny, tcase, and rear. sorry if you took offense to my post, i was only trying to get the point across that the 80 would be worth more than the 79 even if the 79 was rust free and perfect paint.
No offense i really could care less and love a heated debate, so bring it on .

Any way for round 3.

Why would a 79 be worth less when it is rust free. What is the first thing you look for when buying a CJ, THE RUST FACTOR. Nobody wants to fix rust, but just about anyone will change a tranny or tcase. Heck i know three guys that only will run a quadratrac, for some reason i dont know, but that is what they want, for a daily driver. So to them that 79 would be worth more then my 80. So see it really doesnt mean crap about the tcase. The biggest thing is the rust. Nobody wants to put sides, corners, floors boards on there jeep, but they will swap out a tcase and a rear faster then you can say do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.