proportional valve - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > proportional valve

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
kramdog

proportional valve

Does anyone have pics or can tell me how proportional valve and auto trans arm fit together on 1984 CJ7 ? Thanks

kramdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

Are you talking about proximity? Everyone please please correct me if I am wrong, but the braking system proportional valve and the transmission have no relation to each other except location.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I wonder if he is talking about the brake proportioning valve or something to do with the tranny kick down linkage?
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
kramdog

the tranny kick down linkage maybe. Looks as though the linkage fits under the valve on frame. Thanks for your help.
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Good deal.
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
kramdog

84 CJ frame w/258 engine 93 YJ tub. Can I used the YJ master cylinder/booster and proportioning valve and do away with CJ proportion valve on frame? Thanks
Unread 10-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

What does the proportioning valve do? Mine on my 5 isn't hooked up to anything and I can't find anywhere it hooks up too... It just has a wire dangling from it. Also, I have manual brakes, so does the proportioning valve have something to do with power brakes? I don't understand it!!!
Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlaughlin8 View Post
What does the proportioning valve do? Mine on my 5 isn't hooked up to anything and I can't find anywhere it hooks up too... It just has a wire dangling from it. Also, I have manual brakes, so does the proportioning valve have something to do with power brakes? I don't understand it!!!
It is a "Combination valve: and has two functions:

- Pressure differential valve and sensor
- Rear brake proportioning valve / metering valve

The front and rear circuits pass through this combination valve from the two sides of the master cylinder.

If the pressure falls in one side, like a rear brake line failure, a light will come on the dash. You can continue on your journey with one circuit as the master cylinder has two sides to it. This switch is hydraulically resetting.

The wire you have found used to go to the warning light.

The proportioning part / metering valve is to provide less pressure in the rear circuits than the front, otherwise it will tend to lock the rear wheels and go into a skid. To this end it will as far as I understand interrupt the increase in pressure build up in the rear lines. There is a plunger on the side to hold it open whilst bleeding the brakes.

It is fitted to manual and power brake systems.

If yours is not fitted it will decrease the effectiveness of the brakes in hard braking conditions.

Whether you need a warning light is debatable but it is just above the temperature gauge in the central cluster.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.