Proper ground after nutter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Proper ground after nutter

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
thirstybob
1986 CJ7 

Proper ground after nutter

Request for a little guidance please. I performed the nutter bypass, removed the excess wiring and reloceated a new ICM to the passenger side fender well. I'm experiencing a few electrical issues and I'll say, that I had no issues prior to this. One is that after this modification I have no back up lights and the e-brake light stayed on or flickered. Two, I now have back up lights??(I don't know when they came back on??) but the passenger side brake light does not work. Three, the turn signals do not flash with the head lights on, they do flash with the head lights off.
I'm suspecting that it's a ground issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

thirstybob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Did you remove the battery to tub ground when you removed all the computer related wiring?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
thirstybob
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Did you remove the battery to tub ground when you removed all the computer related wiring?

Matt
Thanks for the quick response.
I don't recall. Where would I look? Is it as simple as the Neg cable pigtail grounded to the tub?
Unread 09-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Ooopsie! did we remove more wires than needed or mayhaps unplug or disturb other connectors in the process.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
thirstybob
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
Ooopsie! did we remove more wires than needed or mayhaps unplug or disturb other connectors in the process.
Kinda what I was thinkin, hence my original question.
Unread Today, 06:59 AM   #6
thirstybob
1986 CJ7 

I wanted to post my findings in hopes to help others with a similar struggle.
After extensive research, a post by John Strenk (thank you for your wisdom!) put me on the right path. He made mention that the brake light switch wiring goes through the turn signal switch before going to the brake lights. Low and behold, a poor wire connection on the lower steering column where the turn signal switch plugs in. All lights functional!
Thanks John and thanks Matt, for your response.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.