Is propane conv. Worth it? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is propane conv. Worth it?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
LibertyJeeper
1985 CJ7 

The engine needs to be designed to run propane. Propane becomes more efficient with higher compression engines. It is also a super clean and much cooler fuel, not uncommon for many vehicles that run it to get easily get several hundred thousand miles on the engines.

Looking for axles 4.10's or higher
LibertyJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Jeepit85
1985 CJ7 

Look at the rear ground clearance you will pick up after your remove your gas tank.
85 CJ7, Howell TBI, Twin Stick, 4:10's, 35" Pitbull Rockers, Clifford 6=8, Detroits, Matkins Level II, BDS 4", Summers Brothers. Skynyrd rocks.
06 Rubicon
06 Lance Camper
02 Dodge Cummins
06 VW Jetta TDI
Jeepit85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepit85
Look at the rear ground clearance you will pick up after your remove your gas tank.
That is a plus. But 875 bucks for 5 inches of clearance i don't know if that Alone is worth it.
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepit85 View Post
ground clearance don't get any better with the axles being at the same height
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

You lose about 1-2 mpg in mileage, its octane is around 110 or above, so you can build a very high compression engine to make more power with it if you only run the propane. It also burns very clean and efficiently, oil changes will be much less frequent and only needed ro be changed because its worn out, instead of from contaminants that gasoline leaves behind with incomplete combustion and liquids getting into the oil, that is what turns oil dark and black. The oil will look clean when you drain it even after thousands of miles. It's basically cheap fuel injection, I would like a duel fuel setup on my CJ7 but the tanks do take up a lot of room, so I'd prefer a CJ8 since I drive my 7 every day to work.

You might also need a small tank Heater to wrap the tanks in the winter, like the ones used to heat reptile tanks underneath. When propane is cold it loses its volumetric efficiency I believe. And it won't flow from the tank very well. Ive experienced this with propane garage heaters in the winter, you can pick up the tank, feel the liquid slosh about, then the heater will start to work better again.
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
LibertyJeeper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6CJ7 View Post
You lose about 1-2 mpg in mileage, its octane is around 110 or above, so you can build a very high compression engine to make more power with it if you only run the propane. It also burns very clean and efficiently, oil changes will be much less frequent and only needed ro be changed because its worn out, instead of from contaminants that gasoline leaves behind with incomplete combustion and liquids getting into the oil, that is what turns oil dark and black. The oil will look clean when you drain it even after thousands of miles. It's basically cheap fuel injection, I would like a duel fuel setup on my CJ7 but the tanks do take up a lot of room, so I'd prefer a CJ8 since I drive my 7 every day to work.

You might also need a small tank Heater to wrap the tanks in the winter, like the ones used to heat reptile tanks underneath. When propane is cold it loses its volumetric efficiency I believe. And it won't flow from the tank very well. Ive experienced this with propane garage heaters in the winter, you can pick up the tank, feel the liquid slosh about, then the heater will start to work better again.
I got turned on to propane by a bunch of Canadians. They would use set up, gas/propane. They would use propane in the winter because it would flow better than gas. They kept their tanks in the bed of their pick ups.
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

As I said earlier, It's not worth it.
Plus I'd be scared of an accidental mishap.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...F4OsjALy5cDVCA
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Not sure how it would "flow" better than gasoline?
Maybe because it turns into a gas its start better, and burns leaner, therefore cold starting may be improved?
But you have to run a coolant heated vaporizer for the propane. That, heats it to make sure it all turns to a gas state as it enters the engine, so your not sucking liquid propane. Im sure your guys run fine, but I bet they would see better performance from heated tanks up there in canada.

Ever shot a paintball gun woth cO2? If your shooting a lot of rounds very quickly for an extended period, in rather cool air temps like the fall... the tanks starts to ice up... and you lose considerable pressure until the tank has had a chance to warm back up. That's why most use nitrogen to shoot now, more expensive, but is unaffected by air temps or extended shooting. Its all gas, and doesn't ice up going from a liquid to gas state.

You'd be hard pressed to get a propane tank to actually explode, most just rupture and shoot all the gas into the air. Ive shot many tanks... even tossed a few into fire pits....they just spin around and fly up in the air, or become a flame thrower if you stick a flare next to it and shoot it... now if the safety valve didn't vent the propane as the tank became heated... well then you'd have a good explosion.
But when's the last time you saw a propane powered car explode? CNG on the other hand... is compressed at a couple thousand Psi, and that might make me a little nervous

Id rather have a flame thrower go off next to me than be covered in gasoline that's more volatile and unable to get off me in a severe accident!
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #24
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

If it's got a spark/flame source, It will ignite.
You ever see the LPG rail tank car explosion ?
I assume not, If you think it will only spin around.
I'm no expert on gasses, But I am certified in hasmat and have seen several LPG explosions and see the damage it does
http://www.youtube.com/results?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=w1
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
LibertyJeeper
1985 CJ7 

The colder the temperature to more sluggish a liquid will flow.

Propane is stored as a liquid. For propane to undergo a phase change into a gas it needs to absorb heat from the surrounding area. In cold weather this proposes a theoretical problem that can be fairly easily over come by increasing the size of the tank, and adding surface area. The tank size needs only to fit the application. People use propane to heat their homes in very cold locations. My understanding is that atomization of the propane still takes place in the vaporizer regardless of temperature or phase. Unless you are getting super cold days below -44 F (the boiling point of propane) then I doubt you need a tank heater. If you are driving a CJ7 in -44.....

In regards to the CO2 analogy, if you had a larger tank, such as the ones people carry on their backs, the icing up becomes much less problematic. Paint balls guns work on rapid discharge of bursts, cars operate on slower steadier controlled pressures. A better comparison would to examine the tank temperature of a forklift that has been working hard on a cold day.
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Huh, cool stuff liberty. The bigger tank and slower usage rate does make sense. I'll have to read up some more on this... interesting stuff!
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

sure a lot of them out there

my son's company sells natrual gas.

they just gave away to 31 lucky employees new chevy vehicles equipment to run on both regular gas and natural gas

company based in conway, ar.

he said the new trucks would run about 300 miles on natural gas, then flip a switch on the dash and it was seamless to run on regular gas.

the company built 2 natural gas stations in conway for the vehicles and future business as more and more vehicles are being equiped to run on natural gas.

natural gas is much cheaper and the US has it stockpiled.
we do not have to buy it from other nations.

also gave the lucky employees a fueling pump for their home that installs in the garage (if you have nautral gas at your house)

just fill the tank at home and cost is added to your home natural gas bill.

my son did not win one of the vehicles, but one of the guys that works for him did and he is loving it.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
CoryA
1977 CJ7 

Gotpropane.com

They sell kits also have a lot of info

Even have a propane/gas kit
CoryA is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.