Project "Vote Utilitarian" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project "Vote Utilitarian"

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

Project "Vote Utilitarian"

I should have called this build Project "It started out replacing the windshield"!

I used to drive (lol) a mild manored cj-7 with a few dings on the fenders, a couple rust spots, a solid jeep that got me around town and down a few trails when camping or cruising in the woods. She was solid, ran great, and was purchased for 2 grand. It sat in my friends garage 24/7, so I convinced him to sell it. It is my 3rd cj. I never had any plans for it other than to be a nice
2nd vehicle.

One day I decided to replace the windshield. Thats when it started. Maybe it was all the nice projects I have been following lately (Jayhawkclint, Fatman, Molsonice, etc...), Or maybe it was the need to get greasy and drink beers in the driveway. But probably it was the need to not have the CJ as a 2nd vehicle, and have it as my daily driver.

So one day I ordered a windshield and removed the old one because it was rusted out in the bottom. Well, there was more rust than I ever imagined under the hinges. I now believe the windshield to be held in place by paint and rust.

Well from there, I had to do it right. if I fix the body under the hinges, I better fix the rest of the body, then I better replace the fenders, then I better take the tub off and do a full restoration. Its a slippery slope. But I know the end product will be worth it....

It is my first restoration of this magnitude, I look forward to receiving the knowledge and comments of anyone on the forum who is willing to share. Cheers.

What I am starting with.

Gold under dem der hinges! (Looking for a donor tub to saw off cowl line up, I'd like to replace the corner instead of fabing new one. Purchase. ANYONE?? PM me)

Dash. Came with the ultra-rare OEM bottle opener. I believe the previous owner to be a sherrif.

GM 4 cylinder. No plans to swap. SR-4 tranny. Possible swap.
Yup thats POR-15 on the fender. Not sure if I like it yet, has a tendancy to be shiny at first and then fade, and transfer onto clothes when wet.

Dash out. No rats went running, but there was evidence of a nest.
All wires were properly labeled and photographed.
I will remove the heater setup since it has failed, and I live in Florida. No real need for it. Girlfriend will also appreciate legroom.

Ahh, my first of many busted knuckles

Rear corner not bad at first look. But I later found it to be rusted out under the light.

Hmmm... where to go from here?

More pics to follow soon...

Last edited by Floridazed; 07-08-2008 at 08:51 AM..
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Lupo10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I need one of those OEM bottle openers. You can replace the spot where the heater is with a built in cooler
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
BlueFalcon
1980 CJ7 

how do you take the fenders off/on? Lookin like a fun project so far. good luck with everything
BlueFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

There are a row of bolts on the inside of the fender to the firewall. Then a couple underneath that bolt through to the grill. You can get new fenders online at verious places. Usually made by a company called Omix-Ada. Not same quality as OEM, but come rustless!
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

WOOOOHOOOO - another BUILD

AHHH... I LOVE BUILD THREADS

you gonna need that OEM opener? hahahahahah - I gotta add one of them, wait a minute - I have snap tops or twist offs hahahahaha

already suscribed to the thread

Good luck and update often
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

We need some bumper stickers like that one!
Maybe with the AMC logo on one end...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

More pics (Just trying to catch up to present stage...everyone loves pics):

Grill bolt was stripped inside. Just spun around. So I lifted the little plate on top of it and got in there.

Starting to clean front bumper and parts of frame with metal wheel and paint stripper. At this stage, I had only planned on cleaning up what was seen. Leave the body on, get new fenders and paint her up.

Cleaned and POR15'd. Nice. Better do it all then, If I am going to do it right.
Didnt use rust killer or metal etcher. Just painted th stuff over sanded surface rust. Should I regret this? Will it be OK or should I strip it down?

At this point I can still push it in and out of the overhang. Brother dropped off his pressure washer.

POR15'd the Firewall. tough to do with everything attached, like wires and brake pannels. Looks good. But I think I will strip it off and do it satin.

THe work area. I should get a nice shot of the underside of that windshield. It acts as a paint tester at the moment.
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

Tub is not that bad of shape. Some of you guys have fixed waaaay worse. I shopped for a new tub for a while. Willys Overland would be the way to go new, but figured I'd save a few grand.

So thats whats under there!

1st of many parts to paint.

Reference shot. Send to kin after I pass away so they can finish this job.

ROLL BAR OUT!!!! Screw torx. Worst idea ever. I wound up using a grinder and grinding down the bolts. Took a few hours. Tried the PB Blaster, the torch, the BFH. Time to grind.

Yeah, thats Collard Green. Mr. CJliscious himself. Dont see the resemblance to Cousin Eddie. We are doing a Nutter Bypass to his 7.

More pics to come. Tub Removal coming soon.
Unread 12-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridazed
Ahh, my first of many busted knuckles

You mean that's NOT What knuckles are supposed to look like?
I had no idea!

Maybe too many years with ALL mine looking like that is what confused me!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
jpfaris
1979 CJ7 

I don't know........ Are you guys hiding something......
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #11
Collard Green
1983 CJ7 

Build thread is lookin good brother---remember body off/frame up resoration--nice pic of me and the 7--CJLISCIOUS!!!!!!---CG
Collard Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

More Pics.

Finally, Tub is off. two helpers cost my 2 pizzas.
If anyone has yet to lift a Tub, it can be done with 3 people, every thing removed from it. Inc. Windshield. Suprisingly light.

Frame shot. Suprised to see a shiny new gas tank from PO. Odd how the gas guage was never working.

Cleaning bottom of tub.
Here is the thread on what works...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cleaning-bottom-tub-what-did-you-use-493994/

Started working on the replacement bumper sticker for when done.
I did the original, there are a few other jeeps and trucks around town.Hopefully all done by "election" time.
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Ill be sending those pics to ya asap..I pulled the windsheid brackets off tonight to see what was under it...Ah..ill let you decide..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

cant wait. Not liking the sound of it though. Doesnt sount like a flesh wound.
Unread 12-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

pics sent..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.