Project update - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project update

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
badge1236
1978 CJ7 

Project update

It is late winter here in Michigan and I have been thinking about getting my project moving along so I can enjoy all of my work. A little background about this. I purchased a 1978 CJ7 with a 258 engine. It had been sitting about 5 years and needed help. When I looked at it I was unable to see how bad the frame was until I got it home and rolled the body off. I had planned on changing the tub so this was not big deal to have to take the body off. When it came off, I stood on the frame and it bowed in the middle where it was covered from the underside by the skid plate. I was bummed to say the least. I took a break trying to figure out what I would do and came to the conclusion that instead of parting out the salvagable parts I would replace the frame. Then I purchased a '91 yj frame from a guy not far from my house. Loaded it up and brought it home. Then, with the help of a friend I stripped the frame down. The frame coupled with a set of d44 axles where then sent to be blasted and primed. Time to start reassembling. Yesterday the new springs where waiting for me when I got home from work. It will take me a while but at least it is going back together now and not being torn apart. I will include pics when I have enough post counts and a few more pics. By the way I am being assisted in this project by a good friend of mine who has all the tools and a heated garage. To cold to work on it outside in Michigan winters.

Unread 02-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge1236
It is late winter here in Michigan and I have been thinking about getting my project moving along so I can enjoy all of my work. A little background about this. I purchased a 1978 CJ7 with a 258 engine. It had been sitting about 5 years and needed help. When I looked at it I was unable to see how bad the frame was until I got it home and rolled the body off. I had planned on changing the tub so this was not big deal to have to take the body off. When it came off, I stood on the frame and it bowed in the middle where it was covered from the underside by the skid plate. I was bummed to say the least. I took a break trying to figure out what I would do and came to the conclusion that instead of parting out the salvagable parts I would replace the frame. Then I purchased a '91 yj frame from a guy not far from my house. Loaded it up and brought it home. Then, with the help of a friend I stripped the frame down. The frame coupled with a set of d44 axles where then sent to be blasted and primed. Time to start reassembling. Yesterday the new springs where waiting for me when I got home from work. It will take me a while but at least it is going back together now and not being torn apart. I will include pics when I have enough post counts and a few more pics. By the way I am being assisted in this project by a good friend of mine who has all the tools and a heated garage. To cold to work on it outside in Michigan winters.
Sounds like a work in progress is coming to the light. Spring is right around the corner. Set up a photobucket account and post the links to the pics here, one of us can post them for you.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Red_Ak_Ranger
1984 CJ7 

Yah pics would be wonderful!
Red_Ak_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
sefh

Badge1236 where in Michigan are you located?
sefh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.