Project: SBC 350 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 103 Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
swatson454
1983 CJ7 

ms198,

You can get a whole lot done with a solid/flat cam if it's well-spec'd. I really like solid rollers but they're not for the faint of heart or light wallets.

If you can give us some details on the Jeep and the heads, I'll see if I can help you out with cam specs and a good engine combo.

Shawn

Edit: You may want to consider a new thread rather than us stomping all over Fatmans.

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 02-18-2011, 03:27 PM
ms198
1985 CJ7 

ok i posted a new thread in the engines and drivetrain section. if anyone can give me some more help i would appreciate it.
post #93 of 103 Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 PM
swatson454
1983 CJ7 

I posted over there but you sure might get a whole lot more traffic and some other opinions/ideas for your build if you were to move it over here.

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #94 of 103 Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 PM
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

fatman, did you have any plug wire clearance problems with the angle plug heads, and the shorty hedders? i just bought a like new set of dart iron eagle 64cc angle plug heads, and i'm worried about clearance with my shorties,were you able to run all plug wires with a 90 degree boot? thanks
post #95 of 103 Old 02-19-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Fatman
Web Wheeler

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
fatman, did you have any plug wire clearance problems with the angle plug heads, and the shorty hedders? i just bought a like new set of dart iron eagle 64cc angle plug heads, and i'm worried about clearance with my shorties,were you able to run all plug wires with a 90 degree boot? thanks
No clearance issues at all. Boots all fit w/o any problems. Plugs all come out w/o any special sockets. You'll like those dart heads !
post #96 of 103 Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM
SpringPro
1977 CJ7 

That engine looks awesome. Just a quick question for you. Why did you go with the Ford Starter Solenoid instead of the Chevy Solenoid? I am looking into the Chevy swap right now and trying to learn as much as possible. Your build has offered alot of insight. Thanks. Also, is that a battery disconnect on the firewall below your battery.
post #97 of 103 Old 05-22-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Fatman
Web Wheeler

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringPro View Post
That engine looks awesome. Just a quick question for you. Why did you go with the Ford Starter Solenoid instead of the Chevy Solenoid? I am looking into the Chevy swap right now and trying to learn as much as possible. Your build has offered alot of insight. Thanks.
First off, thank you very much. It means a lot that others get something outta this info being shared.
Chevy's have always had a bad problem with starting a hot motor .... actually it's got zip to do with the motor and everything to do with the chebby solonoid failing. I've been doing remote Frod starter set ups since i learned of it in the 70's. Header heat, lack of engine bay venting all play hell on the Chev starters

Quote:
Also, is that a battery disconnect on the firewall below your battery.
It is. Ssshhhhhhh. now only 653 people know. Just a simple measure to stop an amature thief, and save a jeep from a roll over fire on the trail ...
post #98 of 103 Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM
SpringPro
1977 CJ7 

I was thinking that was the reason but wasn't sure. I posted another thread earlier and was hoping that you would chime in. I am looking at the 350 swap and was going to use a crate engine to start with. I am looking at a ATK crate engine.

http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=HP32

I was thinking along the lines of Performer intake (air gap?) 600 or 670 cfm holley, and MSD HEI ignition. What are your thoughts?
post #99 of 103 Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Fatman
Web Wheeler

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringPro View Post
I was thinking that was the reason but wasn't sure. I posted another thread earlier and was hoping that you would chime in. I am looking at the 350 swap and was going to use a crate engine to start with. I am looking at a ATK crate engine.

http://high-performance-engines.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ATK&Product_Co de=HP32

I was thinking along the lines of Performer intake (air gap?) 600 or 670 cfm holley, and MSD HEI ignition. What are your thoughts?
ok .. first, I know someone is going to get their tits twisted over this but I'm not a fan of the gen iii motors. The ls and vortec stuff flows well and can make good numbers, but I'm just old school. Plus I can make higher HP for less $$$ with good iron and good heads.

So ... If buying a snap in works, go for it. If you have a good machine shop, you can give life to a 70's early 80's 4 bolt and make the project yours .
post #100 of 103 Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM
SpringPro
1977 CJ7 

Thanks for the reply. I will keep looking but I have not found a good machine shop around me so far. Thus the reason for the crate motor.
post #101 of 103 Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 PM
cdmiller2
1981 CJ5 

I know its an old thread but did the headers clear the front driveshaft fine? The number you posted comes up as for a yj on summit.
post #102 of 103 Old 12-07-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Fatman
Web Wheeler

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmiller2 View Post
I know its an old thread but did the headers clear the front driveshaft fine? The number you posted comes up as for a yj on summit.
No issues with the drive shaft clearance.

Ah Yes ! the infamous square light jeep with the stock bowtie 350 !
post #103 of 103 Old 12-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Mavsjeep13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so i am doing a 350 small block swap in my YJ and i need some help in looking for the right transmission for it, i am looking for one to withstand both high torque as well as high horse power. That being said im making mine into a crawler so i need something with a good gear ratio, but that can be worked out after if need be. i would prefer a 5 speed manual transmission and then i will have to find a new transfer case to top it off because i have already purchased front and rear axles. and as far as my budget is concerned there really isnt one, i would prefer something that requires as little maintenance out side of servicing it.

Tags
350 , horse power , over kill , sbc , small block chevy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.