Project: SBC 350 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project: SBC 350

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #91
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

ms198,

You can get a whole lot done with a solid/flat cam if it's well-spec'd. I really like solid rollers but they're not for the faint of heart or light wallets.

If you can give us some details on the Jeep and the heads, I'll see if I can help you out with cam specs and a good engine combo.

Shawn

Edit: You may want to consider a new thread rather than us stomping all over Fatmans.

Unread 02-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #92
ms198
1985 CJ7 

ok i posted a new thread in the engines and drivetrain section. if anyone can give me some more help i would appreciate it.
ms198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #93
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I posted over there but you sure might get a whole lot more traffic and some other opinions/ideas for your build if you were to move it over here.

Shawn
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #94
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

fatman, did you have any plug wire clearance problems with the angle plug heads, and the shorty hedders? i just bought a like new set of dart iron eagle 64cc angle plug heads, and i'm worried about clearance with my shorties,were you able to run all plug wires with a 90 degree boot? thanks
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #95
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
fatman, did you have any plug wire clearance problems with the angle plug heads, and the shorty hedders? i just bought a like new set of dart iron eagle 64cc angle plug heads, and i'm worried about clearance with my shorties,were you able to run all plug wires with a 90 degree boot? thanks
No clearance issues at all. Boots all fit w/o any problems. Plugs all come out w/o any special sockets. You'll like those dart heads !
Unread 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #96
SpringPro

1977 CJ7 

That engine looks awesome. Just a quick question for you. Why did you go with the Ford Starter Solenoid instead of the Chevy Solenoid? I am looking into the Chevy swap right now and trying to learn as much as possible. Your build has offered alot of insight. Thanks. Also, is that a battery disconnect on the firewall below your battery.
SpringPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #97
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringPro View Post
That engine looks awesome. Just a quick question for you. Why did you go with the Ford Starter Solenoid instead of the Chevy Solenoid? I am looking into the Chevy swap right now and trying to learn as much as possible. Your build has offered alot of insight. Thanks.
First off, thank you very much. It means a lot that others get something outta this info being shared.
Chevy's have always had a bad problem with starting a hot motor .... actually it's got zip to do with the motor and everything to do with the chebby solonoid failing. I've been doing remote Frod starter set ups since i learned of it in the 70's. Header heat, lack of engine bay venting all play hell on the Chev starters

Quote:
Also, is that a battery disconnect on the firewall below your battery.
It is. Ssshhhhhhh. now only 653 people know. Just a simple measure to stop an amature thief, and save a jeep from a roll over fire on the trail ...
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #98
SpringPro

1977 CJ7 

I was thinking that was the reason but wasn't sure. I posted another thread earlier and was hoping that you would chime in. I am looking at the 350 swap and was going to use a crate engine to start with. I am looking at a ATK crate engine.

http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=HP32

I was thinking along the lines of Performer intake (air gap?) 600 or 670 cfm holley, and MSD HEI ignition. What are your thoughts?
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #99
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringPro View Post
I was thinking that was the reason but wasn't sure. I posted another thread earlier and was hoping that you would chime in. I am looking at the 350 swap and was going to use a crate engine to start with. I am looking at a ATK crate engine.

http://high-performance-engines.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ATK&Product_Co de=HP32

I was thinking along the lines of Performer intake (air gap?) 600 or 670 cfm holley, and MSD HEI ignition. What are your thoughts?
ok .. first, I know someone is going to get their tits twisted over this but I'm not a fan of the gen iii motors. The ls and vortec stuff flows well and can make good numbers, but I'm just old school. Plus I can make higher HP for less $$$ with good iron and good heads.

So ... If buying a snap in works, go for it. If you have a good machine shop, you can give life to a 70's early 80's 4 bolt and make the project yours .
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #100
SpringPro

1977 CJ7 

Thanks for the reply. I will keep looking but I have not found a good machine shop around me so far. Thus the reason for the crate motor.
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #101
cdmiller2
1981 CJ5 

I know its an old thread but did the headers clear the front driveshaft fine? The number you posted comes up as for a yj on summit.
cdmiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #102
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmiller2 View Post
I know its an old thread but did the headers clear the front driveshaft fine? The number you posted comes up as for a yj on summit.
No issues with the drive shaft clearance.

Ah Yes ! the infamous square light jeep with the stock bowtie 350 !

Tags
350 , horse power , over kill , sbc , small block chevy

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.