Busy weekend and with the help of my buddy Eric we got the motor set in place. I guess the overall accomplishment was the fabrication of motor mounts but with installing the motor twice as well as all the measuring that went into making sure everything was right, it made for a long and successful day. Nothing caught on fire for an extended period of time, and nothing got banged up other than a couple of knees. I pulled a stick of 2” bar out of the scrap bin and fabbed up some stabilizers that we mounted to the front of the motor, cut them with a 25* on one end and a 35* on the other. Even with the 25* side bolted up the motor it still sat too low and we had to shim it up 3”. In the future I’d use 3” stock and look at 5 & 10* cuts for a CJ.
Anyway, started out by setting the front clip and marking the rear most point of the fan, I wanted the 350 as far forward as possible for dizzy clearance and driveshaft angles, so one inch was decided for fan to pulley gap.
With the motor finished, we bolted up the empty bellhousing, T18a, and clocked the D300 as high as it would go. After a few yanks and pulls we had everything centered between the rails and lined up. Mounted the stock skid plate for fab purposes and shimmed the front of the motor to get a 3* rake from front to back. Checked the front fan clearance again, popped the headers on to check side clearance and all’s good.
With the bushings installed on the Moroso motor plates we measured up and cut the spacers to go between the ˝” frame plates and tacked them into a unit while the plates were clamped to the frame. After they cooled, they were pulled out and welded up completely without the poly bushings. Then they were reinstalled, bolted to the motor and clamped to the frame. Wrapped the motor up with a welding blanket and tacked the motor mounts in place.
Lil bit more difficult pulling the motor /trans/ t-case combo with the new motor mounts but we had things out in no time and without any damage.
Finished up welding the plates into the frame, cleaned things up and sprayed a base of etching primer. After that dried a coat of Rustolem flat and let that all dry.
Installed a new pilot bearing and oil wick. Stuck on the Lakewood backing plate, installed the Centerforce flywheel and torqued it down with some red locktite, Centerforce 2 disc with the alignment tool, and a Centerforce 2 PP torqued also with red LT. Assembled the arm and throw out on the bell and bolted it up to the motor. A few jiggles of the trans and it also slipped into place.
Decided that installing the T-case at this time will be an issue so it sat on the floor to be installed when I start making the new rear cross member and skid plate, or tomorrow… we’ll see what comes up.
Motor dropped in and with a bit of persuasion and assistance the new motor mounts / bushings all agreed with their new resting place. With a jack under the trans the stock skid was bolted up, output centered and trans mount block installed underneath.
Quick check on the engine confirms a 3* pitch to the rear and level across the carb mounting surface. Still a lot of little things to do, even a few big things, exhaust, D-shafts, electrical, etc. Just glad to have the motor mounts done and confirm the headers fit without any problems.
Some pics for the hell of it:
Eric getting things lifted:
Fabrication Brackets, this was three inches too low:
Front of motor shimmed up & motor plates / bushings:
Setting things to spec:
Getting ready to tac the right side mount:
Welds finished up: