Project: SBC 350 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project: SBC 350

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 04-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #31
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Few updates, getting ready for the install tomorrow.
Got the FP block off plate installed

Made some alternator brackets, now to find a Heim joint setup at a fair price

Tacked the oil pump pickup

Cut off the bump stop and cleaned up the frame for the new motor mounts

This was almost a casualty

Got the fan brackets made for the new 4 core radiator

Not too deep

Finished

Unread 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #32
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

lookin good man. that exploded cutting wheel is why i wear a full face shield when using those.
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #33
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Busy weekend and with the help of my buddy Eric we got the motor set in place. I guess the overall accomplishment was the fabrication of motor mounts but with installing the motor twice as well as all the measuring that went into making sure everything was right, it made for a long and successful day. Nothing caught on fire for an extended period of time, and nothing got banged up other than a couple of knees. I pulled a stick of 2” bar out of the scrap bin and fabbed up some stabilizers that we mounted to the front of the motor, cut them with a 25* on one end and a 35* on the other. Even with the 25* side bolted up the motor it still sat too low and we had to shim it up 3”. In the future I’d use 3” stock and look at 5 & 10* cuts for a CJ.

Anyway, started out by setting the front clip and marking the rear most point of the fan, I wanted the 350 as far forward as possible for dizzy clearance and driveshaft angles, so one inch was decided for fan to pulley gap.
With the motor finished, we bolted up the empty bellhousing, T18a, and clocked the D300 as high as it would go. After a few yanks and pulls we had everything centered between the rails and lined up. Mounted the stock skid plate for fab purposes and shimmed the front of the motor to get a 3* rake from front to back. Checked the front fan clearance again, popped the headers on to check side clearance and all’s good.

With the bushings installed on the Moroso motor plates we measured up and cut the spacers to go between the ˝” frame plates and tacked them into a unit while the plates were clamped to the frame. After they cooled, they were pulled out and welded up completely without the poly bushings. Then they were reinstalled, bolted to the motor and clamped to the frame. Wrapped the motor up with a welding blanket and tacked the motor mounts in place.

Lil bit more difficult pulling the motor /trans/ t-case combo with the new motor mounts but we had things out in no time and without any damage.
Finished up welding the plates into the frame, cleaned things up and sprayed a base of etching primer. After that dried a coat of Rustolem flat and let that all dry.

Installed a new pilot bearing and oil wick. Stuck on the Lakewood backing plate, installed the Centerforce flywheel and torqued it down with some red locktite, Centerforce 2 disc with the alignment tool, and a Centerforce 2 PP torqued also with red LT. Assembled the arm and throw out on the bell and bolted it up to the motor. A few jiggles of the trans and it also slipped into place.

Decided that installing the T-case at this time will be an issue so it sat on the floor to be installed when I start making the new rear cross member and skid plate, or tomorrow… we’ll see what comes up.
Motor dropped in and with a bit of persuasion and assistance the new motor mounts / bushings all agreed with their new resting place. With a jack under the trans the stock skid was bolted up, output centered and trans mount block installed underneath.

Quick check on the engine confirms a 3* pitch to the rear and level across the carb mounting surface. Still a lot of little things to do, even a few big things, exhaust, D-shafts, electrical, etc. Just glad to have the motor mounts done and confirm the headers fit without any problems.

Some pics for the hell of it:

Work space:

Eric getting things lifted:

Fabrication Brackets, this was three inches too low:

Front of motor shimmed up & motor plates / bushings:

Setting things to spec:

Getting ready to tac the right side mount:

Welds finished up:

Header clearance:

Unread 04-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #34
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

*Some last shots:

Welds finished and primed:

Clearance from the fan:

Money shot:

More to come ...
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #35
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

I hate you! Looks awesome! Can't wait to hear it running, I hope you post a clip of it..
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #36
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Fatman for PRESIDENT !!!!!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #37
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

GAWD, that's pretty! Is it okay to say pretty!?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #38
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

That is sweet. Looking good and should be a hoot to drive.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #39
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Where did you get those motor mounts?
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #40
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Wow, that's incredible. Nice work man.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #41
TRex

1979 CJ7 

Great... Another Fatman standard that we'll all need to live up too. I think you need to fab set of clear plex fenders and hood to show that beauty off. I bet you're looking forward to cranking that beast over for the first time.
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #42
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Spent most of the day working on the clutch, getting the brackets extended, shortened, and working out the mechanical linkage.

After clocking the D300 to the top, I went to heat up the acetylene torch only to find the tank dry, quick run to the tank farm and we are reshaping the T-case shifter into a vertical position.
Going to have to cut another trany cover.

Had a worn out adjuster on the clutch, should have grabbed the camera sooner, but it was 1/2 way through. Filled it with the mig and the file reshaped it in no time

Bracket work:

Things are getting real tight, think I'm going to have to move the prop valve:

Some shots of the alternator brackets I've been working on, just have the plates cut so far:

Unread 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #43
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Was able to work on the ignition today.
Got the new MSD ignition box wired in, MDS coil, dizzy.
Wired in the ignition circuits, alternator, and starter.
Put the Ford solenoid back in and ran a jumper to bypass the GM solenoid.
Finished most of my grounds.

Still need to run the fuel pump circuit and switch it off the oil pressure switch.
Couldn't find my box of relays or I'd have that finished today.
Need to run an ignition hot and a ground for the Holley choke.

Flowmasters, and Magnaflow Cats should be here any day.
Run the fuel as soon as the exhaust is complete.

Unread 04-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #44
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatterman View Post
Wow that is tall, looks like we are going to have to put a scoop on the hood. I will bring the plasma cutter.
lol
Ya, Tall, but looking good fatman.
Gotta get out on the trails this season
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #45
jeepman4804
1984 CJ8 

Where did you get the bellhousing from? I am about to do a 454 swap in my Scrambler and I have been trying to find a bellhousing like that to work with a ford butterfly pattern transmission.
jeepman4804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
350 , horse power , over kill , sbc , small block chevy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.