Project: SBC 350 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project: SBC 350

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Project: SBC 350

I’ve had this in the works just as soon as I decided the 258 / 4.0 head / HEI /Borla header / Crane cam motor was just not enough. Finally sold off the last of the great blue 4.2.

So my goodest friend let me work off some debt for his spare 0010 4 bolt main 350. History on the block was from a 69 Vette. Good news there, but somewhere along the lines it lost the Vette body and the heads as well.

This isn’t going to be your typical pull a motor from the junk yard and bolt it in to the Jeep thread. I’ve got my T18a all set up for the swap as well as the D300 built up as well.

So I strip the block down after it’s sat in my shop all winter, and take it up to the machine shop for the once over. Turns out it’s been .030’d already and run hard as hell since then. Foreman asks if I want to find another block or go .060. ….. .060 it is. Sentimental value here, this block was basically a gift and I’m going to make it work. So we square it, check the deck, and measure up the rest. Turns out the crank is way out of spec as well. So I order up a new crank, main and rod bearings, new set of .060 pistons, and a host of other goodies while I’m at it.

Summit has everything to my door in three days so I’m back up to the shop with my pistons so Foreman can bore it and hone it.
Two days later and I’m picking up my block and my pistons are pressed in to the rods.

Back at Casa de Fatman, I get out the aircraft paint remover and kill this thing with a good layer of paint be GONE ! Brake cleaner, compressor running full time and my new lil brushes, I have this tang el spotless and ready to play. Five coats of Cheby orange and it’s look’n good. An hour of thread chase'n and we are ready to build !

New RMS upper installed and sealed in place, lubed up w waterproof. One new crank washed down and installed w new set of std bearings. Plastigage reads .002 across the caps, so feeling good. Pop the caps off, a good dose of oil to lube things up, bottom half of RMS sealed up and torque these caps down.

Ring the pistons, then clean em up again, set the upper bearings on the rods, a good coat of oil on the skirts after a 60 second dip in the oil bath, and we are thumping pistons into the holes. Plastigage again and pleased with eight readings of .0015 to .002. Clean up the journals and oil em up. Five cycles of the crank and everything feels A+. Torque to rotate is a consistent 32 #’s.

Wash down of the cam, bit o assy lube on the lobes and oil up the bearings and we have our new cam slid in place without a bump. Lil bit mo assy lube on the lifter flats and a dip in the oil bath and 16 tappets are ready.

Tomorrow I’ll set the heads, push rods, rockers, water pump, 710 pump, intake, oil adapter, and anything else I can get to. Sure, it won’t take long to work up to whatever it is I forgot to order.

Pics, ... you knew they were coming
On the way to the shop

Back at my shop and cleaned up:

Fresh paint:

Santa comes early (or late ?):

Like a candy store:

Compressed:

Half:

Udder half:

Cam in place:

Dropping tappets:

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I"ve been waiting for this!

Subscribed!

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal73 View Post
I"ve been waiting for this!

Subscribed!

Jeff
I just found your thread. Looks like a nice job you've done. And what a plus to be able to do it with the boys !
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

looking forward to your progress...
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
airtime262
1979 CJ7 

I just pulled up a chair myself...this is what I want to do also, however, for now it pains me, but I dont have the time or money to go your route. I know my 350 runs, so just the basic intake, carb and dress up for now. Carry on Fatman, the drool is starting....

I now live vicariously thru you.....it's cheaper that way

"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Last edited by airtime262; 03-31-2010 at 06:05 AM..
airtime262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

Nice choice on heads! I love building new engines...that's half the fun of the whole deal!

What do the cam specs look like? I KNOW you dint stick no stock bumpstick in 'ere...
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
TRex
1979 CJ7 

Always the consummate craftsman, Fatman! Can't wait to follow this one! Whoohooo!

Is that Chevy orange a metallic? The second to last pic makes it look deep and glossy. Me likey!
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did you stroke it too???

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
1983 CJ7 

Good, I got in on the first page!

Looking great
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicr1 View Post
Did you stroke it too???
I stroked it...

Build this thing bro...
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter402 View Post
Nice choice on heads!
What do the cam specs look like? I KNOW you dint stick no stock bumpstick in 'ere...
Thanks, I have always wanted a set of these angle plugs.
Some specs below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex View Post
Always the consummate craftsman, Fatman! Can't wait to follow this one! Whoohooo!
Is that Chevy orange a metallic? The second to last pic makes it look deep and glossy. Me likey!
Tanks Rex, just regular Plasti Cote High temp, hope it holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicr1 View Post
Did you stroke it too???
Nope, When I had the decision to get the new crank, I thought about it, but it was a passing thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Good, I got in on the first page!
Looking great
Welcome Dave, I like watching your build as well.
At least I can keep an eye on my old harmonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedupinc View Post
I stroked it...
Build this thing bro...
hookedupinc, you better go wash those [Richard Beaters], no one is going to shake your hand.

Specs on the build are as follows, Included Summit's #'s for the hell of it.:

Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Cam Kit
Gross lift .462 In .480 Ex
Duration 262 In 270 Ex
Lobe Separation 111.0 Going to set it at Zero advance.
CCA-CL12-239-3

Steel Internally Balanced Crank
Stock SBC Specs 3.480 Stroke
SES-3-48-05-000

Speed Pro TRW Pistons Hypereutectic Flats 4.060in
TRW-8KH631CP60

Proform Gear Drive
PRO-66917C

All bearings are Federal Mogul A-series Bi-metal
FEM-2555CP ROD BEARING
FEM-4663MA MAIN BEARING SET
FEM-2100M CAM BEARING
FPP-2912 REAR MAIN SEAL

Edelbrock Angle Plug Heads 64cc chambers, 185cc intake runners
EDL-60999

Edelbrock 7501 Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifold
EDL-7501

Summit OEM Harmonic 8”
SUM-161358

Short Water Pump High Volume
SUM-311005

Summit 1.5 Ratio Roller Rockers
SUM-G6910B

Holley 670 Avenger Carb Single Feed
HLY-0-90670

MSD HEI Distributer
MSD-8474

MSD Ignition 6200 - MSD 6A CD Ignition
MDD-6200

Hedman Headers Elite Shorty’s
Steel Thermal Coated
HED-69648

K&N X-Stream Air Flow 14” Wide 4”Tall
Part Number: KNN-66-3020

Everything else is pretty much cosmetic
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

hookedupinc, you better go wash those [Richard Beaters], no one is going to shake your hand.
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

what kind of cost are you looking at overall just on the motor and accessories for this build? I'm looking to throw something similar into the Scout 800 I'm going to build
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
what kind of cost are you looking at overall just on the motor and accessories for this build? I'm looking to throw something similar into the Scout 800 I'm going to build
SBC in a 'Scout'? Shame on you.
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedupinc View Post
SBC in a 'Scout'? Shame on you.
well if you or anyone in the houston area has an IH 304 or 345 they arent using I'd gladly take it off their hands and keep it all IH...but I havent seen much available lately...and to say SBC is plentiful is an understatement.

I'm 90% sure the 304 currently in there is toast...
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
350 , horse power , over kill , sbc , small block chevy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.