Project Reassembly has inspired my project WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project Reassembly has inspired my project WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
jcooley7
1985 CJ7 

Project Reassembly has inspired my project WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING

After looking at the Fatman project it inspired me

I'm abou 90% sure of doing a off frame restore my self with my job i work 4 days on 4 off so i thinking it wont take me long I now in the preplaning stage i hope to start within rhe next 2months I plan on getting what parts i think i need i have access to a body shop and supplys my dad has worked in auto body for over 40yrs he rolled his eyes when I told him what I was thinking but he said he would help.

i thought i could have the body off and down to the frame in under a day and have the motor and tranny and tcase ,axels out in about the same and I know i can have the frame, axels sanded primed and painted and ready to go in a day also

maybe i over estimate my time a abilites but I post pics and threads when i offical get started

i about as nervous as a one eyed cat watching 2 mouse holes

jcooley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Good luck with the build! Looking forward to it.

Yeah.. Dave's (Fatman) build caused me to change plans midstream. I was originally going to just swap a drivetrain into my new CJ and run with it. His buildup caused me to yank the tub, redo a bunch of stuff, shoot paint..etc. I blame Dave for turning my 30 day "quick build" into what's probably going to be a "year long" project.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Ya know I'm chuckling as I read this. Glad to be an inspiration to anyone that picks up a wrench and makes improvements to their Jeeps.
I'm sure I'd get hate mail from many of your wives.

Still trying to figure out how I work the Vendors and suppliers for some kinda royalty split. You'd think with all the parts I recommend that I'd be gett'n sumpt'n back.

Let's go Cooley, I want'a see some progress pics soon!
and seriously, take LOTS of pics, back em up! and bag and tag everything!
Have a plan from start to finish. You don't want to get half way into a build and change your mind mid stream.

My biggest change was getting talked into 35's right after I built my diffs with 3.73's. Drives well, very streetable, but I would have gone 4.56's
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Two things:

DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY!!!! (Yes, I'm yelling...Sorry...Bad-$$$-Experiences thinking I could get replacement parts.)

Digital camera. It will be your memory when your 'quick resto' ends up going from weeks...To years...

Okay... A couple more:

Bag/Tag and have a dedicated storage 'spot' for all the junk that you've removed. And another dedicated spot for the new stuff you've bought, but haven't installed.

When you get pizz'd at the whole project, walk away for a week (or a month). Doing work when you're frustrated and mad, is going to result in more money being flushed down the AMC toilet.

Okay... One more (but I make no promises):

Try to limit the amount of alcohol you consume while working on the 'project'. For various reasons, including the increase in total cost of the resto....

Good Luck bro, post some pics, 'cause misery loves company.....
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
ConleyTD
1980 CJ5 

I agree with Hack. That's sound advice! Take tons of pictures from lots of angles before you tear anything apart.

Plan on taking twice as long and spending twice as much...then you won't be dissapointed in the end.

Good luck and post those pics and progress like Fatman did!
Unread 05-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

bagging all the bolts! FLASHBACK...ahhhhh!!!!
You might get lucky like I did and find a bolt store that will go through each bag and replace them with new. But keep the old bolts, nuts washers, parts. They will be used again. Not everything can be replaced. Just cleaned and painted.

Organization is key. Take pictures of EVERYTHING. Just cause it was easy to take apart, you might not remember how to put it together.

side note: There are so many parts you never even knew about our could fathom. I just recently discovered the metal cubes inside the lower steering joint. I felt like I discovered a new species of animal living in my back yard.

Be prepared to learn how everything works. Its a great ride.... enjoy. And send pics!
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.