Project "Reassembly" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project "Reassembly"

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Project "Reassembly"

Well today is the first day of final assembly for the CJ. We have done all the mock up, we've painted, welded, sanded, tweaked, all the major parts that are going to be messed with for the most part. (Sorry the tub is not done yet) but we've got to get the roller ready so we can go pick it up soon.

I'll be brief in a lot of this thread as most of the sub assemblies have been done and discussed in other threads, ie. you will see the suspension go in as a whole but I not be going into detail about regearing, caster, hubs, brakes, etc, as I have threaded this information in the past and a majority of this was done in mock up. I'll try to hit on some of the details that you won't see on most other jeeps, why I'm using or making a certain product as well as providing information on the products and distributors that I use.

In 3 days 11/27/07, I will have had this Jeep for one year, I'm sure I could have done this project quicker and spent more time working on it, (ask my wife, she'll tell ya this is where I spend ALL my time) but truthfully I have to balance this with family and work. I am estimating that I have four more months of work before I am 100% complete and ready to road test.

This is thanksgiving weekend so, I do want to thank some people who have been a tremendous help in the past year. My Son who has done ALL the stuff I didn't want to do, he has been great and I think has learned a lot in the process. I can't wait to give him the keys. I'd also like to thank my buddy Eric who comes over and helps every time I ask, he's helped me with parts on my jeep, tools, vendors, just a great friend. Eddie has also been just an incredible asset with the products he makes to custom one offs he's done for me and being able to bounce ideas I had for this Jeep off him when I was first planning the build, THANKS BESRK! And there are another 10 dozen of you guys out there that have sent tools, needed tools, bought, sold or traded parts as we all needed them. Thanks to all you guys for making this an enjoyable platform to receive and provide information. !!!!!

OK, so I finished the 2nd coat of Chassis Black on the frame and misc parts on Wed (nice 75* day), rolled everything into the garage and cranked the heat up until I got back in town last night.

This morning Aryn & I moved the frame out to the driveway and put the suspension back in place. Completely rebuilt, regeared D30 & D44 with new everything! Rebuild and gearing was done by Ted Wendel of Richmond VA.

Brakes, were all reinstalled, sway bar, shocks, pitman connection, bump stops, ...

Brake lines, prop valve,

One thing I'm doing is running the rear lighting harness inside the frame as well as the tow electrical setup:

Last edited by Fatman; 11-25-2007 at 07:07 AM..
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

I’ve set up the rear with a set of 55 watt lights and build a license plate bracket that should hold up well to abuse. Lights for the plate connect in to the tow harness:

These lights sit under the frame and in front of the rear wheels, Eric’s been helping me figure out the wiring and relay setup.

Got the dash started, I’ll start putting in my indicator lights. And adding switches.

More to follow soon.
Unread 11-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Lookin good Fatman. We all cant wait to see the finished product.

About the license plate... it looks awesome, but what if you guys want to tow something? Do you have an alternate spot for it in this case? Also, I am assuming you have a quick connect cannon plug for the light on the plate bracket too?

***EDIT*** Just read the part where you say you have the light tapped in to the trailer harness. However, my question still remains about you alternate plate location for when you tow??
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets

Last edited by jatepper; 11-24-2007 at 10:45 PM..
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
tsujeeper

Lookin good! I hope to be where you are within a few months but I'm just now at the disassembly stage! Couple questions, where did you get the brake and fuel lines? Did they come prebent? What about the fuel tank, is that an aftermarket 20 gallon tank? I'm looking forward to the next installment in the series!
tsujeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
rokcrawler3203
1974 DJ 

Lookin' forward to seeing it fininshed!

"Of course I keep my dishwater clean, it just looks like chocolate milk and lettuce when I'm done" --Chance; A fellow employee
NITECREW #245
rokcrawler3203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

That thing is so clean! I don't think I'd even drive it when finished.. I'd just park it in the living room on the carpet.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

You obviously did not use the same Gallon can of industrial strength Rustoleum that I used on the frame. Mine's shinier.
Those bumpers look really good on there.
The question- to make or buy?
84MSRB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
vtjeeps

hey light question

im a little behind u on your build in just getting dune all my welding on my frame and getting ready for paint.. my question is im putting under carriage light also but im facing mine to the rear so the rocks flying do not smash my lights .. y did u face them forward?....

oh second ? how long did the por take to dry between coats did u do it in one day?
Unread 11-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper
Lookin good Fatman. We all cant wait to see the finished product.
About the license plate... it looks awesome, but what if you guys want to tow something? Do you have an alternate spot for it in this case? Also, I am assuming you have a quick connect cannon plug for the light on the plate bracket too?

***EDIT*** Just read the part where you say you have the light tapped in to the trailer harness. However, my question still remains about you alternate plate location for when you tow??
Well the way I figured it, if I'm towing something then there's not much of a chance someone (cop) would be able to see the license plate anyway.
As for the kid, I don't want him towing with it till he's got more experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujeeper
Lookin good! I hope to be where you are within a few months but I'm just now at the disassembly stage! Couple questions, where did you get the brake and fuel lines? Did they come prebent? What about the fuel tank, is that an aftermarket 20 gallon tank? I'm looking forward to the next installment in the series!
Brakes - pre bent 4WD.com
Fuel line is 5/16" stainless 20' roll, also from 4WD.
Fuel tank is a 24 gal from Trail Quest trailquest.com 800 770 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84MSRB
You obviously did not use the same Gallon can of industrial strength Rustoleum that I used on the frame. Mine's shinier.
Those bumpers look really good on there.
The question- to make or buy?
I originally shot mine with Rustoleum bare metal primer and their flat black. I did not like the result, Yours is shinier because I shot mine at low pressure for texture.
Bumpers, make or buy? - There's no better than BESRK's !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjeeps
im a little behind u on your build in just getting dune all my welding on my frame and getting ready for paint.. my question is im putting under carriage light also but im facing mine to the rear so the rocks flying do not smash my lights .. y did u face them forward?....

oh second ? how long did the por take to dry between coats did u do it in one day?
I put my under carriage lights in that way because I don't like to drive in reverse much.
I'll have covers on them when not needed and if they take a hit, they were not bank busters.
The POR is tacky enough for a second coat after 2 hours. You want to avoid letting it set up between coats or before the UV coat. I shot their Chassis Black paint at 20 PSI after a 2 hour wait. Then the final coat 3 days later.
Unread 11-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
Fuel tank is a 24 gal from Trail Quest trailquest.com 800 770 2617
I have to be missing something here.
I can't seem to see what the price is for the gas tank.
I see that it says oversized 23 gal. hevey duty tank for a CJ or YJ, but no prices...

Do you remember how much the tank was?

Thanks,
cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep
I have to be missing something here.
I can't seem to see what the price is for the gas tank.
I see that it says oversized 23 gal. hevey duty tank for a CJ or YJ, but no prices...
Do you remember how much the tank was?
Thanks,
cb
http://trailquest.com/Jeep_tanks/price-list.shtml

CB, give em a call, they'll work up a $ for a custom.
Unread 11-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

When I put on my new frame I had my whole harness attached to the tub. Not a single wire on the frame at all. Makes it real easy as almost none of the wiring is exposed to elements. But since I drive in winter salt all the time, that was the whole idea. If I need to lift the tub I just have to disconnect a couple of wires on the tank of tranny and lift the tub off again.

Is that how the fuel pickup sits in the bigger tank or can you change the direction of the outlet connections? Thinking about going to a bigger tank but hate to re-rout he whole fuel system.

Awesome job though. I wish I had welded my roll bar tie ins before I finishe painting my frame. I hate to gring off all that epoxy primer and frame paint.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #13
vtjeeps

cool

cool thanks for the info .. i wanted to buy that tank also but they are no longer in bizzness .. so no more making tanks .. so i was going to start making them but no market go figure thats y they stoped ..lol
Unread 11-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Wow! That's purdy! Sorry.. no other constuctive input. Looking great Fatman.

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #15
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Looks great. I've really got to come by and check it out if I can ever get done being perpetually sick.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.