Project P.O. the H.O.A. has begun - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Jeep'nSon

Project P.O. the H.O.A. has begun

Hey guys,

I posted the other day about the two jeeps my wife found for us while I was out fishing on an overnight out of San Diego.

We have moved the 1969 CJ-5 to the house and have officially started the Piss Off the Home Owners Association project.

We are begining with what will be my wifes Jeep.

Although rough in appearance, the Jeep is actually pretty solid and should make for a fun project.

This jeep is equipped with a Chevy 327 from a 1968 Camero per the block code.

It also has the seats and stearing wheel from the Camero.

We only had a short bit of time to start on it tonight, so we began removing parts.

As can be seen above, what is left of those 68 Camero seats are not to comfortable, so they were first to go.

We removed the old gas tank, which was still pretty solid but filled with rust/dust.

Next, we removed the tailgate and the rear bench seat brackets.

We also removed about 50 snaps that had been used to hold down a soft top.

We had to grind out a few of the bolts holding the seats and gas tank in place, so it took a little while to get this far.

Our next task is going to be to drain all the fluids and remove the radiator. Looks like the radiator may need to be rebuilt or replaced, so while that is occuring we are going to work on running some tail lights to the rear. We are then going to replace the gas tank with one mounted under the rear. (Any suggestions???)

We are also going to need to figure out what kind of seats to put in to make it drive-able. What are you all using??

Once we get the radiator back and all of the fluids replaced, and a gas tank, seats, and lights installed we are going to drive this thing around for a little bit to get a feel for it and decide on the next course of action.

Once this jeep is on the road, we will begin to work on the 1963 that she also found so that I have something fun to drive around.

We look forward to working on this and keeping you all posted as we make progress on these two fun projects.

Thanks,

Jason

ps. this project is already starting to pay for itself, I found $0.66 in all of the dirt and dust on the floorboards.

Our New Jeeps: 1963 CJ-5 w/ Buick V-6, and a 1969 CJ-5 w/ Chevy 327 (275 h.p. whoo hooo!!), both run but also need a ton of work.
My Old Jeep: 2005 Unlimited Rubicon, ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5xp winch, Warn Rear Tire Carrier, Rubicon Express 3.5" SuperFlex lift, 285/75/16 BFG MT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 AM
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep'nSon View Post
Hey guys,

I posted the other day about the two jeeps my wife found for us while I was out fishing on an overnight out of San Diego.
So you are hanging out all night with your buddies fishing and your wife is out finding/buying you a Jeep...she's a keeper

Dave's 78 Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Ok, I have a couple questions. What is the little stick up by the firewall, to the forward right of the t-case lever? And can you post some pics of the tailgate, the mounting brackets and latch brackets? I am wanting to make one for my trailer based off of that era CJ tailgate. Thanks!

I have read on here something about a DJ gas tank fits, but you might want to verify that though

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Ok, I have a couple questions. What is the little stick up by the firewall, to the forward right of the t-case lever?
The smaller shifter up by the firewall is the original factory transfer case shifter. The larger shifter (the one you called the t-case lever) is for an aftermarket overdrive.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 02:32 PM
bconrad5150
2010 JK Wrangler 

Great start. I am in the process of rebuilding a 78 CJ5. Good luck.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Jeep'nSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
The smaller shifter up by the firewall is the original factory transfer case shifter. The larger shifter (the one you called the t-case lever) is for an aftermarket overdrive.
Yep, that is it.

Our New Jeeps: 1963 CJ-5 w/ Buick V-6, and a 1969 CJ-5 w/ Chevy 327 (275 h.p. whoo hooo!!), both run but also need a ton of work.
My Old Jeep: 2005 Unlimited Rubicon, ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5xp winch, Warn Rear Tire Carrier, Rubicon Express 3.5" SuperFlex lift, 285/75/16 BFG MT's
post #7 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Jeep'nSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Ok, I have a couple questions. What is the little stick up by the firewall, to the forward right of the t-case lever? And can you post some pics of the tailgate, the mounting brackets and latch brackets? I am wanting to make one for my trailer based off of that era CJ tailgate. Thanks!

I have read on here something about a DJ gas tank fits, but you might want to verify that though
I'll try to get some pics of the tailgate info tonight.

Jason

post #8 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Bakunin

1985 CJ7 

When I first moved into an old home of mine it needed a complete remodel. I parked the Jeep on the front "lawn" (really a patch of weeds at the time) and was remodeling both bathrooms so I put both of the replaced toilets right out there with the Jeep.

The homeowners were not that amused by it.

post #9 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 05:26 PM
pmccoy9876
1997 TJ Wrangler 

As a formed resident of a HOA community, I fully support your efforts. Stick it to the man, then laugh when they get angry

Also, V8 CJ5s are my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNate View Post
Are you insane? Do you have any idea how many slip-and-fall accidents are caused by carelessly discarded banana peels? This is a crime of Vaudevillian proportions and must not be tolerated in a civilized society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCJ2A View Post
I have no input of any value to this thread but those are awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.