Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project: Nameless

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  hutch1200 
#1 ·
Ok so where to start... Well I figured I should just start my own thread on my Heep....

I am not the most mechanically inclined but sure not afraid to learn and hack away at the thing... Hopefully I can keep it on the road during my adventure.

What I bought:

1984 CJ 7 258 i6 5spd manual and nuttered... <Knowns

Started out by doing exactly what everyone wants.. Got rid of most of that green and cleaned it up- lined the inside of the jeep with truck bed liner that we put in... Also fixed the radio and tossed a couple cheapo speakers in there so I have some tunes...

I really should at least paint those doors... Eh when I get to it.. Weather is changing and they are coming off soon enough anyway and I really need new doors these are very damaged and cracked... Maybe I should put the rest of the stuff back on like the spare tire swing and the rest of the markers and fender guards...

And so begins the rest of the adventure! I have a lot to learn...

So here is where I am, now- Next post- The real fun begins.

See less See more
#2 ·
Alright... 60$ paint job is done I don't feel like a fool driving around in a neon green jeep (except for the doors...).... Fuel line replaced after seeing the horrible condition of it and a discovering a decent amount of gasoline puddled under the thing... Note to self: drop the tank and finish that so it's not spliced into the old line.

First problem: key cylinder for ignition goes out- Mostly fixed still need to tear apart the steering column to finalize the fix... I will get to it! More importantly is getting it running to it's best. I need a hand in identifying this carb:

Saw this on the side of the carb:

Any assistance in identifying this would help, thank you :)

#5 ·
Timing was completed yester, timed to 8 (it was at 3 give or take) @ curb idle and what a difference a little twist makes! Power is back in the engine, no skips- and shifts smooth without bogging down. Best $40.00 investment ever! Just temp hooked up the tach to set idle and will have to install that correctly later... Maybe today as it is supposed to be nice out! I'm not even sure if I really need to tune up the carb, I thought it was running to rich before but after just cleaning in earlier and bumping the timing up to 8 seems to have made a world of difference...

Wow cold start this morning was great too, didn't stall out at all during the cold start! Although I did have to turn it over a couple of times to get it to fire on, I'm thinking an ignition upgrade may be in order and resolve that- I don't really know so I'll just put that on my todo list!

I think later today I may start pulling out all the extra wires nolonger needed for where the computer was and the smog equipment was that isn't on the jeep anymore.

---

About the paint job? It's really nothing special- I used a combination of using a roller with rustoleum mixed with mineral spirits and rattle cans with my stock favorite rustoleum color "regal red" and the liner I just bought a gallon of rustoleums truck bed liner product and a rattle can of it as well.

Prep: I could have done a better "prep" job but I just wanted to get it painted! I sanded down used a palm sander on every surface with some rough grit sand paper laying around. Roughed it up good, but didn't worry to much about getting all the old paint off. Made sure any rust spots were sanded down completely and removed, there were not many just a couple small spots that I had noticed that were painted over without being removed by the previous owner. There was a spot or two I really should have fixed that had been previously welded poorly and a little bondo would have gone long way, I will likely go back and fix that later but not important right now. Made sure surfaces were smooth, especially around where there were paint chips before so they don't show now. Apply super thin layer of paint - let dry and get solid (finger nail scrape test) wet sand @ 400, then you repeat @ 680, 800, 1500, and 2000.... Then polish away to get that final finish.

I haven't done the last two coats or the final polish. I used the rattle cans for the "odd" spots... Eh its not perfect and I should do two more coats then polish and wax but not to concerned about that right now mostly concerned with the rest of what I want to do to the heep. Doesn't need to be perfect it's not the final product its just making it not so ugly for now. If I decide I really want to keep the red, once I get the rest of the stuff I want done I will likely go back and redo the entire job and take my time on it a bit more than I did for this run- My 60$ paint job mentioned is for the paint job not the bed liner, that stuff is spendy- that alone was like 40 or 50 bucks for the gallon that I used (still have a lot left and will thicken it up by doing another coat or three inside when I get another break long enough to do it and let it cure but this is my daily driver so... I need three days to cure then put the stuff back in all before work!

All in all the entire job was a hair over a hundred bucks and I have plenty of paint left. If I scratch it... I grab a rattle can spray it wetsand and you can't even tell where it was scratched... its cheap and easy to fix so if you mess it up on trails---- no worries it was a cheap paint job! 2k+ into a paint job at a shop and I might just cry if I scratched it! If you want it to look professional you can get pretty close and really have a much better paint job for the same cost with the same products doing what I did but taking much more time to do it meticulously and thin thin thin (many many coats!). After I'm done with everything and I fully decide this is what I want color wise I will make the job look more professional, but always keep in mind a home paint job without good equipment and spraying skills is never going to come out looking like it came from a shop- I don't have a sprayer, and have never used one so I opted for the 'cheater' method of rollering and spraying with rattle cans.

I found the rollering technique on some other forum I was bumped into on a thread called 'fifty dollar paint job' or something like that. I can try to dig it up and post it if anyone's interested... The thread was very long and goes through peoples successes, testing different ways, and failures. Eventually all the guys that failed to apply it correctly figured it out and got it done correctly with paint jobs that look much better than mine!

Cheap, but not looking to cheap is the name of the game here! I would rather spend what money I can on the performance and things I want to do to it over time.

P.S. Everywhere I write *I* I really mean my gal and myself, *we* have done most of the work together on my jeep.

#6 ·
Does anyone know where I can order the front fender markers for the blinkers? I stepped on mine and none of the auto parts stores in town carry anything that even comes close and I really don't want to put on some crummy looking marker that doesn't look good on the jeep, I liked the ones on it for the front fenders.

#7 ·
You just about order everything you'll need for your new jeep on Amazon. If you become a Prime member then shipping is free and easily pays for your membership. But just about any "jeep" parts retailer, Quadratec, JCWhitney, Morris4X4,, the list is enormous. You can completely build a new jeep out of any of those catalogs. That's one reason I love my jeep. Side marker lights are 7.30 on amazon. I hope to follow your new adventure!

#10 ·
Ha I just couldn't handle that green it was... too much!

Here's what I did today:

No idea what this round can thing is I pulled out? Anyone know?

Ok OK!!! I know a tach shouldn't be installed there... But come on? It's rad! Actually I grabbed the tach to do the timing and check idle speed and I'm not ready to do my dash yet so just I just set it on the floor for now....

Plenty of "clean up" work to do on the engine compartment and I need to re-run some wires that the PO kinda left laying around all over the place to make it look really good but low and behold, I am out of wire so that will be another day.... Likely will re-cover all of the wires and rerun the ones that are to short into a new wrap to make it look all clean later.... I also removed the old ignition gizmo under the radiator reservoir since the PO replaced it and installed it on the firewall above the engine and just left the old one there. Engine compartment is already looking better... which unfortunately makes me want to pull the engine and do some painting but that's not going to happen as I don't have the time or equipment to do that at the moment......

All in all, good day, ready for another beer and some burgers or something!

#13 ·
Yes, it's a vacuum canister. It provides a buffer or reserve of vacuum, although I don't know specifically why it was needed.

I think that round thing is a charcoal girl cleaner add well based off what my brother told me. Going to ditch it to the garbage pile I believe..
Whatever you do, don't throw out the wiring you removed. That's good copper wire. I always save that kind of used wire as long as it's more than a foot or so.

#12 ·
I think that round thing is a charcoal girl cleaner add well based off what my brother told me. Going to ditch it to the garbage pile I believe..

Got board and had to do something else so I pulled out the coke cable and cleaned it a little wd40 on it and its actually got more than open or closed now ha ha ehat a huge improvement all of these little things do

#15 ·
Yeah I actually tossed all that stuff in my "I pulled it out of the CJ" box... haha Wire is always handy!

They do smog checks here however I am fortunate enough to have a way around that one... I've never been up to Elko but I hear a lot of people like it out that way.

#16 ·
ok So never enough time to work on these things.

My Carb says 38 DPO 100 (its a legit weber stamped and have the made in italy on it)- I've been having some difficulty with auto part stores trying to get anything for it, am I correct in just saying this is a weber 38 when telling them?

Had a leak with the gaskets and it looks like I'm going to have to order the parts online. I have the pictures of the carb up above in one of my firsts posts. Can anyone just give me a sanity validity check that I should be ordering weber 38 stuff for this thing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.