Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project Jeep-Saw-Puzzle

9K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  -jeep-jeep- 
#1 · (Edited)
1947 cj2a Restoration

Project Jeep-Saw-Puzzle

I bought my 1947 cj2a on january 24, 2009. i just got it home a few weeks ago and started work. The Previouse owner had it for 3 years, and was restoring it, but had to sell.

What i got

1947 cj2a - serial number 106562
Front dana 25 axel
Rear dana 41 axel
4.3 vortec v6 engine
SM465 transmision
Dana 18 transfercase
New fenders
New hood
New tailgate
New tool box
original tub, (most work done, sandblasted)

I know some of you have been waiting for my build so i got to work as soon as i could. enjoy :2thumbsup:

Picture Time

Before the PO started work

The Day i got it home

New Floor Panels

driver side

Passanger side/ new tool box

Rear section

Drivetrain

Rear Axel

Front Axel

Tranny (sm465)

Other Peices

Windsheild/frame

New Hood

New Fenders

New Tailgate

Gas Tank, Need a new one this one has rust holes

See less See more
#2 ·
Update 1

The First day of work

Body off

Removed leafs of axels

this stuff is my new freind (got them bolts right off)

more frame pics soon

#3 ·
Update 2

The second day of work

Took the wire wheel to the rear axels and painted

getting ready to start the front

found a place for the grill

my mom hates it, :rofl:

#6 ·
Update 3

got the front axel almost finished today, wire wheeled it and first coat of black paint went on.

Also got if a new center consol for when its finished.

Thanks for the comments, ill be sure to keep you updated,

-J-J-,

#9 · (Edited)
i have been using zerorust to coat and will use it on the frame aswell. The plan is to rebuild the tranny and probably the diffs aswell. The tub is one of the main reasons i bought this one over the others, because i knew what i had right away.

The veiw here is great its very calming to looks at that while working, we actually just moved here last month. i dont know if you can see it in that pic but theres a lake down there.

thanks for the comments

#10 ·
J J

I realize this is a little off topic, but, On the mantel in the middle there appeares to be a 50 cal round, what are the ones to the right and left?

It looks like you're off to a good start. Looks good keep the pics coming.

bill

#11 ·
those are my dads he says there, 37 mm pompom's from the boar war.

#14 ·
the windshield in the first picture is from a CJ-3A, not a CJ-2A.
yes i noticed that, it was swithceh out by one of the po's i believe.

jayhawkclint said:
Wow. Really nice, solid project, and all the hard work has already been done for you! (floors)
www.thecj2apage.com
thanks, thats another reason i got it, saves me a little work, and thanks for the link

The plan so far it to keep it stock looking as much as i can, but with the vortec and sm465 and not the original engine, it wont be all original so it will also be for mild weekend trail use

#17 ·
thanks, i didnt notice that, ill be sure to check,

John Strenk said:
I might be missing something here but are you keeping it 2WD?
no its going to be 4wd,

#18 ·
looks like your doing very well on it. Best of luck!

#21 ·
The t-case is going to be the dana 18 for now unless i decide otherwise later.

JoonHoss said:
please politely explain to your mom that in this day and age, nobody likes a hater...

Hoss
Its ok my mom wont be moving back home untill august.

Thanks guys,

-J-J-

#22 ·
well i started the frame today, got most of the rust of which was only minor surface rust. Only had one small section left when the grinder flew out of my hand and got caught in my paint and cut my leg up :rantscream:

but heres the pics before i paint tomorow

I now know that the color it is in the pic below is not the original color as there was a hole lot of it driped on the frame. From what i can tell the jeep has been restored once already. Lots of welding on the frame that was under the rust so it wasnt done by the PO i bought it of as he hadnt started the frame yet. but over all its in great shape

-J-J-

#24 ·
The plan so far is to make it look good but i will be used, like you said "get a new suspension and some skinny tires and hav fun" but of course that might change when i get closer to the end and dont want to scratch it.

I got first coat of grey on (imdoing 2 grey then 2 black) this morning. in about half an hour i will tart thee second. here are the pics

-J-J-

#25 ·
Today was a good day i got both coats of black on the frame.

Picture time

After First Coat Black really shiny for some reason, the second wasn't very shiny at all :confused:

After 2nd Coat Black

There are a few drip and brush marks but overall its good :2thumbsup:

I finally found out were my forth shackle was, its broken off and still in the frame and leaf. does anyone know were i can get another one?

-J-J-

#27 ·
Thanks. Havnt done much, been working since im on summer break. Ive got the leaf packs cleaned up and painted, i am planing on mounting the axels soon, i just need to go buy some u bolts and one shackle, i mihgt also need to replace the front leafs there kinda flat. After those ill be bringing the tub out of the basement and finish the little body work it needs. thats the plan for the rest of the month, i realy hope i can finish it all befor going back to school.

#30 ·
I havnt done much, moneys has slowed me down. I got the Axels mounted and on saturday it will go in a different dirrection. I found a good deal on a L-134/t-90/dana 18 combo so ill be puting that in it and getting rid of the 4.3l and sm465. After that it should be going alot faster. will take some pics this weekend

The grill is no longer there my mom took it down and put a clock up :thumbdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.