hello all, hope all are doing well and adjusting to the fall conditions. We've been socked in in a cloud of smoke for weeks now, lots of fires pushing smoke into the basin. I've been waking up with a sore throat for the last week and a half, starting to get a bit old.
I am finally starting to see the end of the tunnel on this back panel that I've been working on FOREVER. Man I really wish the PO wouldn't have smashed it up as bad as he did, but if it weren't for him I wouldn't have ever gained any of this experience.
Lets take a look at what I accomplished this weekend shall we...
First we will take a look at the left top corner and the little patch that I made to remove the cancer that was in this location.
had a small piece of square tube laying around so I got a bit creative and clamped it, cut it, clamped it again, and yes you guessed it cut again. Last little tweak before it was ready for showtime was a quick trip to the vise to bend the leading edge down to match the contour of the existing lip on the jeep.
Here is the cancer that I am replacing with the above channel, used another piece of stock I had laying around as a guide for my skinny wheel and cut it out.
after the old material was removed I got the patch fitted in place and welded it in place. Much better.
the right side was more of the same so I'll save you all the pain of having to view it all again and just cut to the chase, as usual this side came out much nicer than the left side. I'm used to it by now so I'm past letting that bother me, just going to get a lot of experience using body fillers here in the near future is all.
smaller section of cancer was cut out on this side, and the patch fit nice and snug.
welded in place and ground smooth.
shots of both sides after a bit of work with a flapper disk.
more work with the flapper disk and it is as good as I am willing to get it at this point.
after I had the outside all welded up I moved inside the bed and strengthened things up a bit more, should hold up just fine now. It feels pretty solid to me at least.
ok so now all the time, agony, and pain has been put into this rear end what does the finished product look like you ask? Well let me show you...
Like I said it's going to need a lot of body filler.
Thanks for stopping in, I'll catch you all next time!
Not sure if you mentioned it yet, sorry if you did. Did you have to do anything or are you doing anything with the rear body mounts?? I built a new body mount piece that replaces the whole area behind the valance with access too the body bolts/nuts. I hope it works... I also replaced a small section of the rear floor and added an upward lip to smooth out the transition from floor to rear pannel on the inside. I'm prob going to do like you said about the rear support.
Pics showing up with the link. Thank You, David. Your work is very good! I am impressed with what you have accomplished. Keep it up Dewd!
Hoping we haven't all lost our pictures from the server? You know anything about that. Looking back through everyones threads all our pictures are showing up as red x's. Thanks for stopping in and checking on my progress, it feels nice to be back working on the heep again.
I will try to post some pics I took with my phone. Basically after repairing the rear floor, I welded in a base plate accross the back underside to have something sturdy to attatch the body mount. I also welded in two L brackets (wing section with bigger holes), one on each side under the base plate just for stability. The mount is made from 16 g metal I bent into shape. Seems thicker than factory. The inside has gussets for added strength. I also over-lapped one of the long sides and doubled the thickness on the mounting pad areas.
The body bolt access is threaded for 1/4 20 machine bolts with cover plates. Will prob put some silicone or something to seal them. I notched the mount length way so the rear panel will have room to fold under to match the factory lip. Figured that bracket would make a good mounting point for rear pannel to sturdy it up.
well I finally decided this weekend that enough was enough and it was time to move forward with painting the jeep. Every day I waste not painting is one less day of nice weather. We are fast approaching winter here in the PNW and I needed to make sure I at least had some primer on this jeep before it gets to cold. So with that said lets take a look at this weekends progress shall we.
Made another trip to the local paint shop for some last minute supplies I was missing.
Then I pulled out the HVLP and made sure it was ready for service, this would be the first time ever using a spray gun mind you.
After running some errands and getting all my supplies in order, me and a few buddies started chiseling out all the old seam sealer from inside the tub and sanded everything with 60grit paper in prep for the POR.
I bought a black and decker mouse sander at sears a week or so back and I can't say enough good things about that little guy. Made getting those hard to reach spots a breeze.
Once we were all satisfied with the sanding I sprayed a generous coat of Prep and Etch on the inside of the tub and let that sit for 25 minutes. The label said 15 minutes for paint prep but we were occupied masking things off and didn't get it rinsed off right away. This stuff is pretty impressive though, sure does make a difference.
After taking the pressure washer to the tub, masking everything off, and toweling everything as dry as we could, we all took a break and let the jeep bake in the sun for a while to make sure it was good and dry.
After our intermission we degreased the tub and got to laying down the POR.
6hrs later the POR was barely tacky to the touch and apparently just the right amount of dry to lay on the primer.