Project IOH - 79 CJ5 Refresh - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project IOH - 79 CJ5 Refresh

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #76
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

rear patch

next it was onto the rear end again, this is another portion of the project that just seems to go on forever. I think once I get my gas tank mounted and buttoned back up though this panel will take shape in a hurry.

Here is the little patch that I put in this weekend...

rear-hammered.jpg
cut out about 5" strip by 3ft across. Then took the hammer and dolly and straitened things out just a bit.

rear-cut.jpg
headed into my shop and cut a piece out of some 16g scrap.

rear-fitted.jpg
rear-marked.jpg
made sure it was going to fit nice and snug and marked the ridges so that I could beat them in to the metal just a little.

rear-tacked.jpg
rear-weld.jpg
got everything where I wanted it, layed a few tacks down to hold it in place and then burned it in.

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #77
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

door frame supports

since I was already cutting and was in a groove I figured I'd spend a bit more time up front at my first patches. Took the cutting wheel and removed a bit of metal from the door support channels. They were in my way and I need to weld up the back side of my patches and do a bit more grinding. I haven't figured out how to go about strengthening them back up yet but I've got plenty of steel so I'll come up with something.

driver-support.jpg
pass-support.jpg
still have a bit of welding, grinding, and just overall cleaning up to do to these two spots but now I can at least get to them.

parts-powder-coat.jpg
another small batch of parts ready to head off to the powdercoater. Spoke with them on Friday and they told me their sandblasting motor had burnt up on them early last week so they haven't even touched my stuff yet.

progress.jpg
Here is how she sat Sunday afternoon catching some sun before I rolled her back into my carport.

David
Unread 06-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #78
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

When the non-connoiseur looks at a Jeep they have NO IDEA what goes into it. Keep going David. You're doing great.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #79
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
When the non-connoiseur looks at a Jeep they have NO IDEA what goes into it. Keep going David. You're doing great.
Ditto to that!!!
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #80
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Hello fellow jeep'rs, sorry it's been so long without an update in here. I've been at a pretty solid standstill for quite some time now on the jeep. My powdercoater took forever to get my parts done and it really slowed up progress on the jeep. I needed the gas tank skid in order to set that back in place, and I wanted to get the tank back in before I welded the rear panel back together. Long story short I've just been waiting and taking a break from the ole girl for a while.

I got a call from the powdercoaters last Thursday letting me know that finally my parts were blasted and would be getting coated that day. I would have been able to pick them up on Friday but as murpheys law would have it I was going to be out of town for the weekend and couldn't pick them up till today. So hopefully tonight after work I'll be swinging through to grab all my freshly coated parts, and let me tell you I'm exited!

Another main reason why the jeep work has really come to a halt is due to this weekend away that I just briefly mentioned. I headed out of town Friday morning at 4:30am for the Mt. Adams ranger station picked up a cascade volcano hike permit and set out on my first ever attempt at summiting a mountain. It was a two day climb, first day was a trip up to high camp or the lunch counter. Different people call it different names but either way it is a large outcropping of rocks at about 9300ft. We made camp ate some dinner and rested for day two. Saturday morning we set out to summit the mountain and reached 12,400ft at around 10:00am. It was one of the most spectacular views I've ever seen, and the experience was amazing. An incredible amount of work but well worth the pain and exhaustion.

Here are some pictures from the trip...
mountain.jpg
mountain-1.jpg
Looking up at what lie ahead

tent.jpg
Nice little shelter to set up camp for the night

sunset.jpg
Watching the sunset at 9300ft was breathtaking and a sight I will not soon forget.

ants-marching.jpg
Got up in the morning to a view of ants marching up to the false summit.

false-summit.jpg
false-summit-1.jpg
The false summit is another great place to stop and enjoy the view, although once you get to this point you see why it is called the false summit. Another massive climb awaits you once you are done slacking.

heading-up.jpg
Here I am all bundled up, it was cold windy and hailing for a good portion of the climb.

top.jpg
once I reached the summit the weather broke and opened up to some pretty spectacular views.

summit.jpg
Proof that I made the top!

David
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #81
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

picked up a bunch of powdercoated goodies last night.

A few teaser pic's for your enjoyment...
batt-tray.jpg

gas-skid.jpg

rollcage.jpg

small-parts1.jpg

sandblasted.jpg

Now that I've got my gas tank skid back I should be getting back to work on the rear panel this weekend.

David
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #82
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That powder coating looks suhwweeeeet!
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #83
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Fabulous pictures, David! That is so cool. Glad you had a good time and you are safe. Now get back to work!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #84
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

long time no post

Hello again everyone, I'd like to welcome you all back into my build thread and hope that none forgot about me durning my fairly long absence from jeep work.

Things have been quite a whirlwind in my life the last month or so, finding out that your going to be a father does that to you I guess. But my jeep doesn't care that I'm going to be a new dad, or that I'm trying to sell my house, or that, or that, or that.... you get the point. My jeep has been crying and whining that it has been getting no attention so I thought it best just to shut her up and get back to work.

So without any further ado let me just lead right into the photo's...

gas-tank-prep.jpg
gas-tank-painted.jpg
This has been a ongoing battle between me and my gas tank but I think I might have finally come out on top of this one. Seems like every time I tried to get this thing re-istalled it stopped me for one reason or another. Here it was with a nice cleaning and some fresh paint, then into the newly powdercoated skid it went.

driver-floor-not-welded.jpg
driver-floor-welded.jpg
A before and after picture of the driver side patch that I installed months ago. If you look back a bit in my thread you would see that this was a project that was never fully welded, it is now and as I expected it was a massive pain in my .....

pass-floor-welded.jpg
This was the passanger floor same issue as above, just never got it finished. I spent a little over 4hrs welding on Saturday, burnt my leg really bad but finally finished some nagging projects that were holding up the show.

weld-pass-side.jpg
weld-driver-side.jpg
I also went ahead and put another pass on the outside of the tub on both the driver and passanger side as I wasn't happy with my first attempt.

weld-driver-crack.jpg
This was a crack in the body that ran down the door opening, I cleaned it up a bit with some weld.

More to come...

David
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #85
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Long time no post cont...

Ok so all that little ticky tack crap was nice to get out of the way and feels nice to not have to stare at it anymore knowing that I'm just putting it off but the real meat of my weekend progress took place on the back of my jeep. I'm sure most of you remember how mangled the rear of my jeep was when I started this little escapade. Well that is all behind me now, the back end of my jeep isn't show quality strait by any means but it is night and day different from what I started with.

gas-tank-set.jpg
Here I've got the gas tank set in place and all of my surface prepped for welding.

back-panel-first-tacks.jpg
Here the panel I cut and shaped months ago finally sitting in it's intended location, only by a few tacks of course but it's still exiting.

back-panel-tacking.jpg
back-panel-tacked.jpg
back-panel-tacked2.jpg
After a bit of tacking, shaping, and more tacking things are looking pretty strait.

rear-right.jpg
rear-left.jpg
a look down the body line from the left and right side. I'm not seeing anything here a little body filler can't help me with. Again night and day from where I started. So either way I'm thrilled!

pass-side-panel.jpg
driver-side-panel.jpg
A look at the overall progress of the body from both sides. Really starting to look like something now.

happy-dog.jpg
how did this picture get in here, I think she was happier to see me working on the jeep than anyone.

That's all I've got for now, hopefully it wont be another month before you see another update from me.

David
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #86
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

any progress is good progress

Another small step in the right direction. It baffles me how much time I've spent on the back end of this jeep, and I still have a ways to go. Spent some more time this weekend stitch welding and filling burn through spots.

Here is what I came up with for the corners, you will see in the pictures that I was able to finish out the right side seam line. However the left side is still in pretty tough shape and still needs some serious help even after sticking a 1/4 thick gusset in the gap.

gusset-left1.jpg
gusset-left.jpg
gusset-left-tack.jpg
left corner... yes it looks just as rough in person as in these pictures.

gusset-right.jpg
gusset-right1.jpg
gusset-right-tack.jpg
right corner... this side all along has cooperated with me from day one, no surprise that it would be going together smooth now.

David
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #87
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

so as I cussed out the left corner for not wanting to cooperate with me I decided I better just focus my attention on the right side as at least that way I could make some headway without raising my blood pressure to much.

pulled out the ratchet straps and started tugging things into place...
right-corner-tweak.jpg
right-corner-tweak1.jpg
right-corner-bottom-tweak.jpg
right-corner-bottom-tweak1.jpg

Once I was satisfied with how strait things were I pulled out the welder and started filling things in.
right-corner-welding.jpg
right-corner-welded.jpg
right-corner-welded1.jpg
All in all I am very pleased with the right side, yes there will be some body filler required no doubt but I never intended for there not to be. The left side however is another story, not to happy with what is happening over there, but I'm going to keep working on it and see if some magic doesn't happen for me soon.

Till next time -

David
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #88
AKINGSTON241
1977 CJ5 

Hey, I feel your pain on that rear pannel. I have been doing the same on my 77 CJ5. I also removed and rebuilt the area behind the valance where my body mounts bolt. It's a boxed in area that wasn't so much in the shape of a box with all the rust. On your rear panel, did you tab the sides like the bottom and weld on the interior too like factory, or just welded where they met on the corner pannels? Instead of using tabs like factory, I'm thinking of using some angle welded to the corner panel tab area, then welding the rear panel to the. Prob reuse the top section as you did, but remove that spare tire brace, mine is crap. Not sure yet. Welding directly to the corner panel doesn't seem that bad either. I was thinking about getting a shop to use a metal break and bend up a direct replacement then spot weld it in like it came. So many choices....
AKINGSTON241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #89
81CJ7V8
1981 CJ7 

Doing good work on that 5. So did you summit Adams, Hood or Rainier? I loved going to Rainier even though I never climbed. I'd usually go up to Moses Lake and hang out for a while there. I was stationed at Fort Lewis and enjoyed driving out to Yakima to play golf at the Apple Tree Resort as well. I'm from the south but I'd prefer to be back at Lewis over Louisiana.

R.I.P SPC James Lee Adair
R.I.P SPC Camy Florexil

We Will Never Forget.
81CJ7V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #90
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKINGSTON241 View Post
Hey, I feel your pain on that rear pannel. I have been doing the same on my 77 CJ5. I also removed and rebuilt the area behind the valance where my body mounts bolt. It's a boxed in area that wasn't so much in the shape of a box with all the rust. On your rear panel, did you tab the sides like the bottom and weld on the interior too like factory, or just welded where they met on the corner pannels? Instead of using tabs like factory, I'm thinking of using some angle welded to the corner panel tab area, then welding the rear panel to the. Prob reuse the top section as you did, but remove that spare tire brace, mine is crap. Not sure yet. Welding directly to the corner panel doesn't seem that bad either. I was thinking about getting a shop to use a metal break and bend up a direct replacement then spot weld it in like it came. So many choices....
on the rear corners I cut out the goofy notch on the sides and just welded straight to the corners. Mine were pretty beat up to begin with and after all the hammer and dolly work it was just best to cut the edge off. Just welding up the corners without any additional support seemed a bit weak so I put a plate on the back side of the seam and spot welded that in and then welded it solid from the other side. Turned out very sturdy doing it this way. Angle welded in would be another good idea, I think no matter what though you need to have some support behind it or you will not be very strong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81CJ7V8 View Post
Doing good work on that 5. So did you summit Adams, Hood or Rainier? I loved going to Rainier even though I never climbed. I'd usually go up to Moses Lake and hang out for a while there. I was stationed at Fort Lewis and enjoyed driving out to Yakima to play golf at the Apple Tree Resort as well. I'm from the south but I'd prefer to be back at Lewis over Louisiana.
Summited Adams, haven't done Rainier yet but have it on the books for next year and I can't wait. Thanks for your service, and if you ever make it back towards Yakima look me up I'll treat you to a round of golf!

David

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.