Project IOH - 79 CJ5 Refresh - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project IOH - 79 CJ5 Refresh

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #61
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgcoug View Post
I found that the key thing with that HF spot blaster is to only use fine grade sand/media. Anything close to medium grade and you will be having issues. Once I started using window screen material to sift the sand I no longer had any issues with the blaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Wow, that's pretty fine. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.
Ya that window screen idea sounds like a winner, I'll have to try it out this weekend. Got a few more sqft to blast so anything to help it clog less would be great.

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #62
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgcoug View Post
I found that the key thing with that HF spot blaster is to only use fine grade sand/media. Anything close to medium grade and you will be having issues. Once I started using window screen material to sift the sand I no longer had any issues with the blaster.
Quote:
Wow, that's pretty fine. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsAndaGuy View Post
Ya that window screen idea sounds like a winner, I'll have to try it out this weekend. Got a few more sqft to blast so anything to help it clog less would be great.
That is REALLY fine!

Are you guys talking about THIS unit? I have one exactly like it, except rebranded under Tractor Supplies name. I too can't get it to work worth crap...clogs every 30 seconds if not more and its a real battle.

I have a heavy duty moisture filter but still don't have alot of luck...though some people on this forum swear by that unit, which is why I picked it up. I'm using the HF aluminum oxide media which is already pretty darn fine, but I'll give the screen a shot. If it works I would love you! Only problem is the stuff I need to blast is too big to fit in the cabinet and that aluminum oxide is beastly expensive to shoot out in the grass.
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #63
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

I just had an old screen with the frame still on it laying around the house. It's not super tight knit screen material by any means. The play sand sifts through it great. I just set the screen over a bucket, put a shovel full of sand on the screen, and shake the screen from side to side. I kind of feel like I'm panning for gold or something.
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #64
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

so some of you may know that I've been searching for a while for a wagoneer doner that I could steel some parts from. Well yesterday I was out surveying for a buddy of mine and he had a 89 wagoneer sitting at the back edge of his property. The 360 is shot and would need a rebuild as he said the oil pump went out on it and before he noticed it he had done some damage to the engine, so it's been sitting ever since. Now here is the big rub I'm having with this rig, I was set on getting a cheap parts rig and this one is being sold for $500 so it does fit into the price range I'm looking at but this thing is imaculant! Take a look at these pictures and tell me if you think I'm crazy for wanting this beast. I imagine it hauling all my camping gear up to camp with the cj in tow behind it.
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  

David
Unread 06-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #65
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

That Cherokee does appear to be in great shape, and would definitely make a nice camping rig. It would make a nice project too, and for $500 I don't think you could really go wrong.

+1 for the old Seahawk logo/sticker on the back window. I lived in Washington state for 30 years. Go hawks!!!
Unread 06-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #66
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

yep gotta love them Seahawks Adam! Still haven't decided one way or another yet what I'm going to do with the waggy.

While I pondered the thought of hauling that rig home I decided I better get back to work on my own rig so I started tearing parts off of her in preperation for the powdercoater. I managed to pull the grill, most of the heater box, and tcase skid. Here are some pictures of the fun this weekend.

grill-removal.jpg

grill-removal1.jpg

grill-removed.jpg

Moving onto the skidplate, we decided to throw a ratchet strap around the tranny and give a little additional support while the skid is out.
removing-skid.jpg

Here you can see my brother-in-law across the street scraping 20 years of crud from my skidplate.
scraping-skid.jpg

Got enough gunk off of this skid, now its loaded in the truck and ready for a trip down to the powdercoater.
scraped-skid.jpg

and the oily mess that was exposed underneath the skidplate
oily-mess.jpg

Onto the heater box.
heater-box.jpg

This is as far as we were able to get then we got stumped as to how to get it the rest of the way out. It almost seems like the blower motor is seized in place or something, any idea's on this one?
heater-box-removal.jpg

Just a pile of parts ready to head down to the sandblaster/coater. The hood and grill will be coming back after a sandblast, the rest will be staying for a powdercoating.
loaded-truck.jpg

David
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #67
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Not real sure on the heater assembly, as mine came out with very little effort. I do know that there are 4 threaded studs with nuts on the back that secure the whole thing to the firewall. Did you get all 4 nuts off?
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #68
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

There were 4 small nuts on the firewall, if those are the ones your talking about then yes. I'll have to snap a few pics of the other side of the firewall and see what you guys think.

David
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #69
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Does it wiggle around but won't come out?? Heater hoses disconnected?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #70
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Dude that waggy is way to nice to pirate--I'd park it around back and save it as a rainy day project.

I'm diggin that roll cage. Did you have the tubes made somewhere locally or is it a kit or what? I looked through the thread again to see if I missed it but I didn't see it. But then again I have trouble seeing things right in front of my face. xD
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #71
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Does it wiggle around but won't come out?? Heater hoses disconnected?
Not much wiggling going on, seems pretty solid to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
Dude that waggy is way to nice to pirate--I'd park it around back and save it as a rainy day project.

I'm diggin that roll cage. Did you have the tubes made somewhere locally or is it a kit or what? I looked through the thread again to see if I missed it but I didn't see it. But then again I have trouble seeing things right in front of my face. xD
Noticed that I hadn't said much about the cage in this thread, That project was completed a bit before I decided to start a build thread. However I did take some pictures of the process. The A pillar hoop, grab handles, and gussets were purchased from Extreme Custom Fab. The dash bar, spreaders and the bar behind the seats came out of one of our scrap bins at work and I bent the two upper spreaders and the bar behind the seat with a cheapo HF kinker. The little tab in the center top of the cage was cut out of some scrap and will be used to mount my rearview mirror so when the windshield is down I can still see behind me. All the floor supports were made out of 3/16 scrap as well. Kinda funny looking back at these pics now, this is going back a bit.

Attempting to get the A pillar hoop aligned correctly, I used a chop saw to do all my copes so this was a bit tricky. The measurement from the B pillar to the windshield on the passenger side was different than on the driver side so that didn't help either.
roll-cage1.jpg
roll-cage4.jpg
roll-cage5.jpg

Here I have tacked the main components of the cage together and pulled the ratchet straps out as they were no longer needed for support.
cage_side1.jpg

Getting a visual reference of how the grab handles are going to look, this was taken before I coped them.
grab-handle.jpg

Grab handles and rear spreader tacked in place. The rear spreader bar was bent with a HF kinker, I was able to get those bends without kinking the pipe but much more of an angle and they surely would have kinked.
ca.jpg

I put a gusset at all 4 inside corners of the cage.
gusset-weld.jpg

Next it was time to replace the old mounting plates that were used on the stock roll bar, I went with 3/16 steel and had them cut out of some scrap laying around at work.
footplate-strait.jpg

This is how I bent them. Clamped to table, marked, cut, and beat with a hammer. Once the angle was right I welded the seam back in and called it good.
footplate-cut.jpg
footplate-bent.jpg

David
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #72
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Killer work on that tailgate section! I think down the road I'm going to cut mine out and do the same thing after seeing what you've done. Mine's not straight at all, but i'm hoping the tire will hide most of it.
Nice FSJ score, too! I agree with what another poster said; don't go molesting that one; it's appears to be in great shape.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #73
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman
Killer work on that tailgate section! I think down the road I'm going to cut mine out and do the same thing after seeing what you've done. Mine's not straight at all, but i'm hoping the tire will hide most of it.
Nice FSJ score, too! I agree with what another poster said; don't go molesting that one; it's appears to be in great shape.
Thanks pman, is that your waggy in your avatar?

David
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #74
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Got my cage from Mike at extremecustomfab too. Great guy and a great product. Your cage look great. I tried bending my grab handles with the HF kinker, and I was barely able to make a bend, so ours are shallow. But enough to get a hold of. Rock-n-roll baby!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #75
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

progress

another weekend down and I am now close enough to spraying raptor I can almost taste the stuff. Ya I know you guys aren't buying it are you.

Did some more cutting shaping and welding this weekend. Add to that though was some wire organizing, pulled the column and finally got that stupid heater box off the firewall. The PO really liked silicone and it was a bear to break free. Spent some time on the grinder as well, I can tell you all with 100% certainty that is my least favorite thing to do on this jeep and it seems like that portion of the project is never going to end.

firewall.jpg
here is the firewall, still much to do up here before I can spray my liner. But it is getting closer.

lower-heater-otu.jpg
Got the heater core out and drained, as you can see in this pic there is a healthy size crack up the front of this thing.

lower-heater-rear.jpg
backside with lots of silicone stuck to it. Something doesn't look right here to me, at the bottom left of this picture there is one hole just below the blower motor, but on the firewall there are two at this spot. Am I missing something here?

heater-core.jpg
something made a nice cozy home here. I didn't even get to collect rent on this freeloader.

heater-inside.jpg
just a bit of debris here, not as bad as I thought it would look inside.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.