This weekend I had a few friends over and we decided to go to town grinding on this ole girl. Brought some extra grinders home from work so that we could work a little faster. This was just to much grinding for my little lonely 4" dewalt.
As you probably already have noticed I like pictures, so lets get started with the slideshow why dont we...
Saturday we spent the better part of 5hrs grinding and we were able to get everything done but the hood and top cowl section.
Here is my brother in law and neighbor working away.
After most of the grinding work was done, we changed our focus to the back panel. First order of business was getting the body mounts off. The right one came off no problem, couldn't say the same for the left however. As you can see in this picture there is a massive dent in the corner and if you look at the rear crossmember it is also tweaked. This pinched the bolt and was not allowing it to slide out.
Another pretty nice side dent in this corner as well. You can see my brother in law here troubleshooting this stupid body mount.
This looks like it was doing a lot of good.
We burnt a lot of time on this bushing, gave us a nice break however after all that grinding. So we refilled our drinks regrouped and decided it was time to break out the sawsall. Don't know why we didn't think of that earlier.
with the bushings out of the way and not much holding the panel on it was time to start planning our assault on this back piece. I drew some lines and figured out my gameplan.
Here is the piece that was cut out. The top red line in this picture was also cut off and will be replaced with new 16g steel.
after the main portion of the panel was out we had a little bit more to remove so we took the chisel to the back side of this little piece and she popped right off.
All that I left attached to the tub was this small center section. I chose to leave this little piece in place as it will act as my template to build back from. It remains centered and gives me a bottom line as well. The top piece will also be salvaged and will act as the upper portion of my template. So essentially I will only need three rectangles cut and welded back in. Sounds easy enough right.
Sun was starting to set and this is how she was left for the night, got everything cleaned up and rolled her back into the carport.