Project IOH - 79 CJ5 Refresh - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project IOH - 79 CJ5 Refresh

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Project IOH - 79 CJ5 Refresh

I figured it was as good a time as any to start a build thread on this tired old girl of mine. I've got several threads scattered throught the forum some have some decent information in them, while others just show how clueless I am.

Here's a quick cheat sheet of some of my threads
Body work
tube fenders
Manifold swap
Column swap
Steering Box
Double D Dash

A little background -
I've owned this jeep for going on six years now, it replaced a 1963 scout 80. That was just to much project for me to handle at the time. I got part way through the rebuild on the scout and realized that I was screwed, so I sold it for what I could, licked my wounds and started looking for something else. I looked at a lot of jeeps before I stumbled onto this one and was very happy to be able to make a deal on it. Purchase price at that time was $3100. So I made the deal drove it home and started my ongoing love affair with it.

For the first year or two of owning it I really didn't do much to it other than run it how it was the day I bought it. But as time passed I started to gain back some confidence that I had lost on the scout debacle, so I slowely started doing some little tweaks here and there. I purchased and installed a weber carb (but kept the old single barrel intake) replaced valve cover gasket, ect ect.

The real meat of this story however didn't start until recently. The main thing that got me going in the right direction with this jeep has been the purchase of my welder. That has been the single best purchase of any tool I've ever made, and has given me a lot of motivation to work on my jeep.

Ok so enough of the boring history, I'll just say sorry in advance for that. Lets get to some pictures...

Here is how she looked when I first bought her.
s2400006.jpg
s2400002.jpg

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
SKT
1981 CJ7 

In early on this build thread!

Looking forward to following along!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

I've managed to tackle some projects under the hood in the time I've owned the jeep, but have never paid much mind to the body damage. It is time for that to change, and since I have zero experience with body work this is all new to me. But I'm up for a challenge.

Lets first look at the rockers and hood...
front-left.jpg
front-right.jpg
left-side.jpg
grinding through 1/4 thick layer of bondo is really fun. Make sure you have a respirator for this part. To my surprise the steel is in better shape here than I thought it would be. Very banged up but not to much rust.
passenger-side.jpg
same thing again, more bondo... more fun.
tailgate.jpg
Now this is a mess, I've got issues all over this panel. The corners are banged up as well.
rear-supports.jpg
my rear supports are not in the best of shape either

David
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

so now that I have all my fillers and primers in hand as well as the tools needed to apply them, it is time to start prepping this jeep.

Lets just say removing all that old glue from the original carpet is a bit of a chore....
grinding.jpg
grinding2.jpg
dash-shot.jpg
right-front-floor.jpg
left-front-floor.jpg
post-pressure-wash-close.jpg

So there you can see that we tackled the front half of the jeep and I feel like we made pretty good progress considering the amount of beer breaks we took.

Next will be the back half of the tub, and then onto the patches.

David
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

So does anyone have any advice or suggestions on repairing my rear body panel? Should I try and salvage the mount or rebuild something from scratch?

David
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledochawk View Post
So does anyone have any advice or suggestions on repairing my rear body panel? Should I try and salvage the mount or rebuild something from scratch?
I would remove all the rear panel pieces with a spot welder remover bit, like shown:

*Use a wire wheel on your grinder to help expose the spot welds.

After you have each of the pieces apart, you can evaluate their condition and either repair each on it's own, or get new. If you are repairing, then spot weld it all back together once each of the pieces has been fixed.
acgcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

By far the best bang for your buck tool:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...ter-95343.html
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

as far as I know acgcoug the back panel is one piece. Maybe I'm wrong here?
Doesn't the rear panel just connect to the two corner panels via a small lip?

David
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
as far as I know acgcoug the back panel is one piece. Maybe I'm wrong here?
Doesn't the rear panel just connect to the two corner panels via a small lip?
Yes, it is one piece. However, you can remove the two vertical interior rear supports and the long interior horizontal support, and also the the single horizontal support piece on the exterior.

From there, you are left with 5 pieces to evaluate on how to fix/replace.
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

ok that makes sense, seems that will be the next logical step then. Still have a fair amount of grinding to do, but I will need to take a look and see if I can find those spot welds.

David
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

More goodies showed up.

Got home from work last night and my UPS driver had dropped off my new seats. Now if only I had no job and countless hours of freetime on my hands I could start getting some of this body work done.

seats.jpg
ollie-approved.jpg
My dog Ollie seemed to like them.

paint.jpg
thought I'd also throw in a quick shot of my paint supplies. I've got the acid etch for any material that I have to take down to bare steel, then I'll be laying down the body filler followed by glazing puddy. Once I have my tub looking fairly straight I'll be laying down several coats of high build primer with sanding inbetween each coat. Finally a sealer will be sprayed over all of the base layers to give my single stage a nice even primer layer. I've got two quarts of high build and one quart of sealer, the lady at the local paint shop felt that should be enough. We will see. Sounds so easy on paper doesn't it.

David
Unread 04-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

slow going...

Man grinding off all this bondo is a pain in the rear. There has got to be an easier way to do this no?

Good news though is that as I expose more and more bare steel, I'm finding that my repairs might not be as bad as I though on this panel. But is is seriously dented up.

img_3042.jpg

David
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Man grinding off all this bondo is a pain in the rear. There has got to be an easier way to do this no?

Good news though is that as I expose more and more bare steel, I'm finding that my repairs might not be as bad as I though on this panel. But is is seriously dented up.

Attachment 388091

I'm not sure what kind of rear panel that is, or where it came from, but it is definitely different than the one on my '79 CJ5.

Unread 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

grinding, grinding, and more grinding

This weekend I had a few friends over and we decided to go to town grinding on this ole girl. Brought some extra grinders home from work so that we could work a little faster. This was just to much grinding for my little lonely 4" dewalt.

As you probably already have noticed I like pictures, so lets get started with the slideshow why dont we...

Saturday we spent the better part of 5hrs grinding and we were able to get everything done but the hood and top cowl section.
grinding1.jpg
Here is my brother in law and neighbor working away.

2-dent.jpg
After most of the grinding work was done, we changed our focus to the back panel. First order of business was getting the body mounts off. The right one came off no problem, couldn't say the same for the left however. As you can see in this picture there is a massive dent in the corner and if you look at the rear crossmember it is also tweaked. This pinched the bolt and was not allowing it to slide out.

3-dent.jpg
Another pretty nice side dent in this corner as well. You can see my brother in law here troubleshooting this stupid body mount.

4-bodymount.jpg
This looks like it was doing a lot of good.

5-stuckmount2.jpg
We burnt a lot of time on this bushing, gave us a nice break however after all that grinding. So we refilled our drinks regrouped and decided it was time to break out the sawsall. Don't know why we didn't think of that earlier.

6-cutting1.jpg
with the bushings out of the way and not much holding the panel on it was time to start planning our assault on this back piece. I drew some lines and figured out my gameplan.

7-cutpanel.jpg
Here is the piece that was cut out. The top red line in this picture was also cut off and will be replaced with new 16g steel.

8-panelremovedpass.jpg
after the main portion of the panel was out we had a little bit more to remove so we took the chisel to the back side of this little piece and she popped right off.

9-backpanel.jpg
All that I left attached to the tub was this small center section. I chose to leave this little piece in place as it will act as my template to build back from. It remains centered and gives me a bottom line as well. The top piece will also be salvaged and will act as the upper portion of my template. So essentially I will only need three rectangles cut and welded back in. Sounds easy enough right.

10-groundfinishback.jpg
Sun was starting to set and this is how she was left for the night, got everything cleaned up and rolled her back into the carport.

David
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Sunday

Sunday was a little less eventful, but there were some small accomplishments made. Saturday I ran out of gas for my welder while I was working on my fenders, so I wasn't going to be able to work on any patches. I decided to bust out my body and fender kit that I picked up at harbor freight a while back and see if I couldn't figure out how to use it.

Here was the condition of the corners before I started working on them...
leftcor.jpg
rightcor.jpg
leftcorinside.jpg
rightcorinside.jpg

And here they are after about an hour of whacking away at them...
leftcorafter.jpg
rightcorafter.jpg
fairlystraight.jpg
fenderwell.jpg
backend.jpg

I also worked on a few other dings here and there on around the jeep, after I figured out how to use the pieces correctly it was really quite easy to shape things up. I typically would beat a section out past where it needed to be, then would take a radius block to the backside and tap everything back in to match the rest. Pretty slick really.

David

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.