project flatty...follow along - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > project flatty...follow along

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

project flatty...follow along

well came home sick today from work...cough cough...and was looking at the parts cj I have and decided to start a flat fender project..It will be an ongoing project,so feel free to critique or ask any questions...

I like the flatty look but dont care for the cut off wheel and leave it look..for a few reasons..
1..lets face it those edges are damn sharp..I wouldnt want anyone including myslf getting cut on the trail cuz of those fenders
2..no support..In the winter if I'm stuck I usaully climb out the window along the hood and onto a fender to hook up a winch or strap..
3..they just plain look better to me..

parts and tools used so far
1/2 inch thick walled conduit..bends easily and welds nice
handy dandy hand conduit bender..
4 or 5 inch cut off wheels on an angle grinder..be sure to use eye protection!!!!
projected tools and material
welder
1'' by 3/16th x 2foot flat stock
pipe notcher..can also notch or birdmouth pipe with a grinder
angle grinder

I have been studying PSC and a few other bolt on flat fenders for Ideas
first I basicly sat back and stared at the fender for a while and kinda got an idea of the lines I wanted..I drew lines with dry erase marker at the cuts I wanted...I was pretty happy with the firts attempt,but the good thing about dry erase markers,they just wipe off...
the cut off wheel makes short order of the sheetmetal,but DO NOT bind the blade or it will come apart and take and eye out or worse...

the bending went pretty easy..I did them by eye and lucked out without ending up with a scrap peice..There are plenty of formulas to get the proper radius's and bends,but I dont have time for them..At least not for these...If it were a cage,with 6 dollar a foot DOM,thats a different story..
I still need to trim back the fender to fit the pipe a lil better,as most of the edges are jagged...
heres a few pics of what I ended up with within an hour..and what look I'm going for..

"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

Last edited by Mr.Crowley; 05-15-2007 at 07:14 PM..
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
c17load83
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you gonna stick with the duct tape or throw some welds in there? J/k let us know how it turns out. Looks fun so far.
c17load83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Lostj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cool project.
lx015oɹd uǝpıun 'ɥɔuıʍ ql0009ɟɥ ؛ɹǝıɹɹɐɔ ǝɹıʇ pol 'sɹǝpuǝɟ ǝqnʇ pǝɹɐlɟ"5˙4ʇuʇ :˙ɔsıɯ ؛sɹǝpıls sʞɹoʍʞɔoɹɥs 'pıʞs ǝuıƃuǝ ɔıpǝɯdǝǝɾ 'pıʞs ɹoʇɐıpɐɹ s,ʎʇsnɹ 'ʞuɐʇsɐƃ puɐ xoq ƃuıɹǝǝʇs ʇɥƃıɹuǝƃ :spıʞs ؛pɐoɹɟɟo ɹoɟ sɹǝƃƃoq"53 'ʇǝǝɹʇs ɹoɟ s,ʇ/ɯdɯoɔoɹd"53 :sǝɹıʇ ؛lɯɯ"1 'lq"52˙1 'spq "2 :ʇɟıl ؛ɹǝʌoɔ uǝɯʞoɹ 'loods-ıuıɯ 'sǝʞɐɹq ɔsıp 'sʎollɐ ɥʇıʍ 44p ؛ɹǝʌoɔ ɹǝɥsnɹɔʞɔoɹ 'slɐǝs ǝlxɐ ɹǝʇno 'ɹǝʞɔol ǝıssnɐ 'sʎollɐ /ʍ 03p '6ı :ɾʇ,00
44p '03p '6ı :5ɾɔ,37
s,ʇ/ɐ ƃɟq"23 '44p '03p '8ʌ063 :5ɾɔ,47

The Swamp Things 4x4 Club Jeep Talk HomeGrown Offroad
Lostj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c17load83
Are you gonna stick with the duct tape or throw some welds in there? J/k let us know how it turns out. Looks fun so far.
lol..if I can find the right color The tape will do...

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Unread 05-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Looks good - From a strength stand point, wouldn't pipe be stronger than conduit? Not as easy to bend, but in the long run...???

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmonist
Looks good - From a strength stand point, wouldn't pipe be stronger than conduit? Not as easy to bend, but in the long run...???
your absolutly correct...If I was a rock hound I would certainly look into a 1''and1/4
hrew pipe..I still may go that route...just using the conduit as a jig to bend the other to...

Unread 05-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

getting a lil closer..bouncing between these and tube doors..
ended up keeping the 1/2 inch pipe..seems pretty strong for what they are...deffinately not rock proof,but dought i'll see rocks with this jeep..

After cutting the opening the rear if the wheelwell was opened up,after a push and a bunch of welds it was in place.I deffinately will do a few things different on the passenger side..This ones going to need a lil bit of plastic to get it smooth on the side

Unread 05-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
high51977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambled1
I deffinately will do a few things different on the passenger side..This ones going to need a lil bit of plastic to get it smooth on the side
ever worked with lead filler? it is just as easy to use as bondo but it doesn't crack and flake off.
Unread 05-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by high51977
ever worked with lead filler? it is just as easy to use as bondo but it doesn't crack and flake off.
accually yes..I took a few years of auto body and used it alot on a few old cars of mine...Its not that bad,though it looks in the crappy pics to warrant lead...maybe an 1/8,if that..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.