Project: Fabreeze Air-Freshener (1985 CJ7) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project: Fabreeze Air-Freshener (1985 CJ7)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #31
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarwall View Post
Ok, not a whole lot done this weekend, I completed some more house work. I now have a new workshop in the basement for my guns and such! I was able to get the rear axle wirebrushed down to bare metal and primed. I am hoping to finish painting it tonight and move onto the springs. Any pointers on replacing the main Eye bushing in my factory leafs? They are all dry rotted...so I got replacements. Per typical rubber bushing sets I am sure these will be a bear to remove. I have the torches and press ready but want to know if there are any slick tricks to remove them.

On a side note, to save money I just ordered up some steel brake line and fuel line. When I added up the cost of running all pre-bent stainless line, well I was around 500 bucks (all lines on the jeep, both fuel and brakes). So I decided, since this jeep wont see daylight in the winter time for here on out, Ill be fine with the regular steel. I also went with the will wood adjustable proportioning valve. I am hoping that will all be here by Wednesday and I can start plumbing.
i use a big drill bit and drill several holes through the rubber and break it up a bit. much easier when you remove some of the rubber.

Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #32
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

If anything, remove enough rubber to get a saw in there, cut thru the sleeve and then grab and twist the sleeve to fold it in some. That should shrink it enough to tap it out if it doesn't fall out. Just avoid nicking the spring, and avoid heat to the spring.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #33
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the input guys, I will work on them tonight and this weekend.

I did decide to change plans, I am no longer going with the stainless steel pre-bent lines, one they are very expensive and two this jeep wont see winter time ever again...so i will save a boat load of cash and put it into the restore in various areas. I am going to get the Teflon coated lines tonight and start working on plumbing the rear end. My dad hooked me up with his snap-on flaring and bending tools so the job should turn out great, not to mention my OCD. The super cold temps is somewhat slowing me down I am hope for temps higher than teens soon so I can heat the garage and paint up the rear end and springs as well as the tank skid plate. Ill post some pics of the progress sometime this weekend.

On a side note, Krogers started carrying a decent selection of craft brews, this should help the garage time be more enjoyable.
kbarwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

Found these gems at my moms. Going through old pics and found some of my 79' I had in high school! I am not sure why these are rotated, they are normal in photobucket...

Unread 01-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #35
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

its been a minute since updating. Over the holiday break I was able to get the frame complete (including gas tank/skid, rear suspension). All rebuilt/painted etc. I was hoping ot get the chassis done but the holidays and coldness dampened my motivation from time to time. Will update with pics later today or tomorrow,
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #36
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

Well, to say the least I haven't been doing a good job at updating this thread. Life has been beyond hectic and this semester in grad school has kept me rather busy, not to mention, I transferred to a new job so I have been learning that as well...

Ok Jeep news. Pretty much all parts have been purchased to put the jeep back together except for the paint needed to finish the body post body work. To date I am ready to put the top coat on the frame, I have been holding off while I did a bunch of other work just in case I got some scratches etc. The only thing left to get the frame back to a roller is I need to press out the old main eye bushing and put new ones in...Ill try to get that done this week. Next on the to do list is fuel lines/ brake lines and get to roller status. Here are some updated pics. My goal is to have in a roller by March 1 so i can get going on the body work. I had a more aggressive timeline in mind but life isn't letting that happen.

How she sits now:

Rear Axle, done (minus brake lines)

Motor! Dont worry, I am replacing the thermostat housing. thermostat as well as fuel pump and motomounts. I was waiting until the chassis is a roller to do the motor mounts and such. Trying to make room for the cherry picker.

New Exhaust gaskets! cant wait for a smooth quiet exhaust.

Front Axle is done! need to install steering linkages (Paper wrapped fresh delivery)

Tank is done and ready to go back in, just waiting to finish the topcoat! Tomorrow project.

It will likely be a couple weeks, but ill try and get more regular updates.
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #37
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It's coming along.

I hope you free up a little more Jeep time, soon.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #38
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

any pointers on cleaning up the transmission and transfer-case? I was just going to pressure wash it on my driveway...right before i pressure wash the entire driveway
Unread 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #39
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Simple Green and a toothbrush or two. (after the power wash) Soak it with SG before the power wash too.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 03:49 AM   #40
Always2L8
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
any pointers on cleaning up the transmission and transfer-case? I was just going to pressure wash it on my driveway...right before i pressure wash the entire driveway
Oven cleaner. Cuts through years of grease and sludge. Spray it on, let it set awhile, brush. Rinse, lather, repeat. Not the most user friendly stuff, recommend using rubber gloves and a mask. I get the off brand stuff at the Dollar store, much cheaper than "Easy Off".

Edit: If using on aluminum - do not let it set long or use something else.

Good Luck
Always2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 04:14 AM   #41
dsfd722sts
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Yea I am for sure trying to reuse every factory part I can. My dad can fix the dents in the fenders, probably won't be perfect, but they'll better than they are now. The only rust spots on the tub are where the fender wells and floor meets right behind the driver and passenger seats. There is also a small spot of bondo right under the jeep stamping on the driver-side, all else seems to all metal (fingers crossed) We will see once i get out the wire brush and sanding disk..

Also. Anyone know what these two connections are. PO had them Unconnected.

These two are part of the same wire, the plug on the right is/was just zip-tied right up by the clutch linkage as you can see and the other end was laying up in the engine bay...I haven't exactly tried to lay out my new wiring harness to see the match.

Second, the connection is on a pink wire coming from the fuel sending unit, this was also just zip-tied to a vent hose and laying there unconnected to anything.

The connector looks like this:
that thing between your gas tank and tank skid plate, where can I get one for an 80 cj7? I knew they existed! 4wp and quadratec think I am "misremembering" my own jeep.
dsfd722sts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #42
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

I am not really sure. That was on the jeep when I bought it, honestly they are about the same as a bike inner tube. See if you could by thin rubber sheet of some sort of semi truck tire tube and make it....
Unread 02-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #43
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

well I ended up measuring for the correct shocks last night. Keep in mind my only suspension "Mod" if you will is 1" Boom Shackles.

Front:
Static Length - 18"
Min - 15"
Max - 21"

Rear:
Static Length - 21"
Min - 18"
Max - 24"

The mind was measured by getting the springs to sit FLAT with the suspension articulated.

I forgot the part numbers at home but I can get those for anyone that needs them.
Unread 03-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #44
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

Well, today was very productive. I need just a few more hours to finish up the chassis. I ordered some new u-joints, shocks and a few other small odds and end.

Today I was able to finish plumbing the brake lines, getting the chassis into a roller (now siting on all fours!) trans/transfer-case are securely bolted in, new fuel pump/stainless lines, thermostat/housing, all brake lines are in, power steering pump is back in place and the gas tank is back in place. On top of that I was able to get the snow blower running, we are expected to get anywhere from 3-12"...some range huh...no thanks weather man.

In the mean time im prepping the place for body work, my goal is to get the body work done in two-three weeks and paint within one week. I plan to start body work next weekend. My end goal is to have the jeep back together and drivable for a local Willys rally coming up in late may.

Here are some pics for today.

I went ahead and tried to pretty up the welds from the PO on the exhaust, it looked like a bunch of boogers, after that i went ahead and painted with high-temp black, I ran out of paint, to be continued tomorrow. tomorrow I plan to go get some rubber isolators to hang the fuel/brake lines.

Unread 03-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #45
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

Well, originally I was going to try and do all the body work myself, which is still the case, but I have decided to drop the jeep off and have it sand blasted. I think this will save me a ton of time and allow me to focus on the little things while the body is getting done. I should be dropping it off next Tuesday after work.

In the mean time I pretty much finished the chassis, now I am fine tuning the fitment ont he exhaust, install the steering (drag link/ track bar) and just taking care of the little things.

I think this is the most up to date pic I have. I put the grill on for motivation. I also picked up some 2.5" BDS lift springs that need rebuilt for cheap (see pic) and a HVLP spray gun kit (both jam gun and body gun).

Next up is working on this guy

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.