Project "Chaos" - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project "Chaos"

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #46
bluwtrsurfr

just out of curiosity, how do you plan on putting the pin in for the receiver or taking it out? There doesnt look like there is much room for doing that in the pics.

81 Jeep CJ5 4" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires.
bluwtrsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #47
tsujeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwtrsurfr View Post
just out of curiosity, how do you plan on putting the pin in for the receiver or taking it out? There doesnt look like there is much room for doing that in the pics.
I don't have any pictures from a good angle to show you but it's fine. The bottom lip of that bumper/spring hanger is about a 1/3 of the size of the top lip. There's about 4" to get my hand in there. Not a problem at all.
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #48
tsujeeper

Well I've gotten a few things done since my last post. I got the skid plate put on my crossmember. The frame got topcoated and the crossmember got a coat of primer and paint. I also added a few leaves to the YJ spring packs I had, cleaned and painted them. I probably did a few other things that I can't think of right now. Anyway, here's some pictures...

Unread 03-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #49
tsujeeper

Today I...
-assembled my bastard packs
-replaced some spring bushings
-hung the springs
-put the front and rear axles under the Jeep
-sat the engine/trans/xfer case between the frame rails and bolted it all up
-hung the steering box
and some other small tasks along the way.

Picture time!

Rear axle in place

The magic floating front end

Front and rear axles underneath

The engine/trans/xfer case in place!

I hope to have it running by Wednesday night or Thursday.
Unread 03-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #50
rclem

were did you get the steering arm for that? i need one for mine!
rclem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #51
tsujeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclem View Post
were did you get the steering arm for that? i need one for mine!
parts mike

It's for a 4" drop arm with a chevy rod end taper. I can look up the part number if you need me to.
Unread 03-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #52
tsujeeper

I realized I forgot to update this a couple weeks ago.

I got a lot of the engine stuff buttoned up. I never did get it started b/c I couldn't find my alternator bracket. Never did find it. Spent about 8-10hrs cleaning the garage and looking for it and never did find it. I'm going to the junk yard this Friday in search of one. Here are some pics...

This is my little balloon I made out of a latex glove to help me find the compression stroke for TDC. I was having trouble feeling much of anything with my finger when I was trying to turn the engine over by hand. It was rough work even with a couple feet of cheater bar.

And here are some other shots of junk... sorry some of them are kind of dark

Unread 04-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #53
tsujeeper

It's Alive!

I'm guessing maybe 5% of you will actually read this once you see pictures and video below but oh well, I'll still tell the tale. Went to the junkyard this weekend and scored the alternator bracket that the garage gremlins stole from me. Got the exhaust put on and all the other crap I needed to get done before starting it. Got all the 'temporary' (read booty fab) wiring done to start it and it wouldn't run. I finally traced it down to an MSD 6AL box that would work randomly and about 10% of the time. No biggie I got it for free b/c the guy didn't know if it worked. Obviously it didn't.
This morning I went to O'Reilly's and got a Street Fire CDI box for about 2/3 the price of a new 6AL. It's an MSD product and from what I've read it's the same thing without being the 'red box' that everyone knows. Got it all hooked up and had some problems getting it to run right. I fooled with the timing and got it running long enough to get a light on it to get the timing where it needed to be. After that it purred like a kitten, a very mean kitten. Only one slight problem... that god awful knocking noise. It wasn't a lifter, didn't sound like a rod, felt the bottom of the oil pan and could feel it thumping. Put 2 and 2 together and decided that the crank was hitting the dent in my old crappy oil pan. So I dropped the oil pan and hammered it, put new Rotella T in it and was ready to go. I ran it for about 25 minutes at 2000rpm to break-in the cam and now I'm as happy as a clam! Here's the pics and a video if it works...

The high temp exhaust paint didn't do so hot. haha Looks like I'll be pulling them and trying paint again! Oh well, I've got a bit of a header leak anyway.

The booty fab wired ignition system!

I had a small leak around the valve covers from a gasket that moved during install. It didn't leak more than a pint of oil during the 25 minutes I had it running. Just another thing to fix next weekend!

And finally the beast running! It's got a bit of an exhaust leak that you can hear in the video if you're paying attention.

Unread 04-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #54
tsujeeper

Some specs on the engine...

AMC 401 bored .060 over to 418
Holly Truck Avenger carb 670cfm
reman Motorcraft distributor with MSD larger cap and rotor
MSD 8mm wires
Street Fire (MSD company) CDI box
Flowkool (I think that's the name) water pump
Completely rebuilt with Sealed Power pistons, Clevite bearing, valve job, RV cam
Hedman fenderwell headers
stock 3 core radiator
running Rotella T 15W30 oil for now

That's about all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask questions!
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #55
tsujeeper

Oh I also forgot to mention oil pressure was about 50-55psi at 2000RPM during cam break-in. Temperature stayed right around 190. Besides the slight oil leak around the valve cover and the high temp paint contracting Leprosy I'm pretty happy with how things went. I'm hoping I can get it rolling down the road by August.
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #56
Trimble1
1983 CJ5 

Looks great, keep the photos coming. Nice work.
Trimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #57
tsujeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimble1 View Post
Looks great, keep the photos coming. Nice work.
Thanks! I try to remember to take pictures but find myself forgetting to a lot of the time. You're welcome to browse my photobucket account. Most of the pics I have are on there.

On another note, has anyone had a good experience with any header paint? I'm not sure what went wrong with mine. Maybe it was too humid the day I painted them? I'm not sure, it was about a year ago when I painted them.
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #58
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

love this build.... doing the exact same axle swap , only swapping a 360 though

keep up the great work

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #59
JeffMcBusa
1979 CJ7 

TSU I see you have a smog pump/power pulley still attached to the power steering pump. I really need one of those badly due to having to replace my old smog pump for the CA emissions testing. If you are going to leave your smog pump off and you want to replace your double pulley for a nice new shiny chrome one, let me know casue i will certainly buy that one off you!!!!! BAD A** build too. I wish I had the know how and tools to do something like this.
JeffMcBusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #60
tsujeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
love this build.... doing the exact same axle swap , only swapping a 360 though

keep up the great work
Thanks! I was originally in the market for a 360 until I came across this beast. If you need any advice/ideas on the axle swap feel free to ask here or PM me. I've learned far too much since I started this not to share! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMcBusa View Post
TSU I see you have a smog pump/power pulley still attached to the power steering pump. I really need one of those badly due to having to replace my old smog pump for the CA emissions testing. If you are going to leave your smog pump off and you want to replace your double pulley for a nice new shiny chrome one, let me know casue i will certainly buy that one off you!!!!! BAD A** build too. I wish I had the know how and tools to do something like this.
As much as I'd love to help you out I'm going to keep the double pulley. I've got plans on running dual belts to the PS pump for safety. I'd hate to try to turn the wheel on this thing without power steering. I'm going to have a ram on the axle too which will make it even worse if I did lose the belt.

If you really can't find one I saw a few at the junkyard the other day. I don't make it out there very often but I could probably pull one if you can't find one. I'll also look around the garage, I know I've got an extra pump but I can't remember if I've got an extra pulley or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.