Project "Chaos" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project "Chaos"

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 02-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #16
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Lookin' good...keep at it. You're at the fun/easy part right now where everything you do makes an obvious impact...gets a little tougher to stay motivated when you get down to the little details that you don't really see.

jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
tsujeeper

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate View Post
Lookin' good...keep at it. You're at the fun/easy part right now where everything you do makes an obvious impact...gets a little tougher to stay motivated when you get down to the little details that you don't really see.
My biggest issue right now is not motivation but rather deciding how much to do now. I'm building/mocking everything and eventually I'm going to tear it all back down and send the frame to be galvanized. The main debate is do I drop the engine/tranny/x-fer case in it and break in the engine and get the steering all finished before the tear down? I haven't quite decided. I just have to make sure everything is welded to the frame that is going to be before galvanizing including building the 6pt tied in cage. I'm looking forward to that weekend!
tsujeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
tsujeeper

Weekend Update!

Not a whole lot of exciting stuff to report. Spent most of the weekend cleaning brackets, pulleys and other engine components to get them ready for paint. Used the pressure washer, simple green cleaner, and a whole lot of elbow grease and still don't feel like I got very far. I think there were 5qts of oil in the old 304 and 6qts on it. I also pulled the dana300 off the back of the spare T4 tranny I had and started tearing it apart and cleaning it up. So here are some pictures to help tell the tale...

Put the front fender on to figure out where to put my F250 shock towers.

Pulled the old 550cfm edelbrock off the intake. Cleaned up the intake to get it ready for the 670cfm Truck Avenger. I'm saving fuel injection for next winter's project. The edelbrock is for sale!

Pulled the oil pan off the 304 and look what I found. No wonder it had a new dipstick! I also got about half a tube of gasket maker out of the oil pickup. The pic was taken when it was only about 1/2 way cleaned out.

Random pictures of brackets that aren't exactly fun to clean. I've got a new high flow PS pump so I just the need brackets and pulley off this one. I've gotta stop at Autozone next weekend to get a pulley puller. You can also see the dizzy in the back. I think I'm just going to buy a new one instead of trying to clean that one up, it's pretty rough. I also bought a set of MSD dizzy and camshaft gears so I hopefully won't have any problems there.

Draining all the oil out of my 'free' dana 300. I'm 99% sure it's the 1980 short shaft version as well so thats a plus. It'll sit behind the NP435 that I've yet to buy very nicely I think. You can also see the painted oil pan in the background. It's pretty beat up and I'm debating on buying a new one.

The T4 that I pulled the Dana 300 from. It's for sale too!

So that's about it! I also worked on the steering but no pics of that. I got a lot done but nothing really exciting to report. Mainly just tedious tasks that have to be done. I hope to start tearing it all back down in about 4 more weekends so I can send the frame to the galvanizer. Then I can start doing things a little more permanently instead of all this 'mock up' crapola. Let me know if you've got any questions or if you need any parts. I'm collecting quite the inventory so if you need it I might just have it!

Last edited by tsujeeper; 03-02-2008 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: wrong pic
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Hey man, looking great! Do yourself a favor, get a new oil pan. I just got through with an engine swap myself and my oil pan looked perfect. I cleaned it out and put it on the new motor only to have a pinhole leak on one of the welds that holds the skidplate on. Couldn't even see the hole. I must have moved around some dirt or crud that was in the bottom of the pan and freed up the hole.

Save yourself hours of aggravation and disappointment! Just get a new pan.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #20
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujeeper View Post
Draining all the oil out of my 'free' dana 300. I'm 99% sure it's the 1980 short shaft version as well so thats a plus.
Can't tell because your pic is showing the right side of the output shaft housing
But this is the diff, courtesy of JB Conversions:
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p.../rear_out.html

Last edited by Fatman; 01-16-2009 at 05:59 PM..
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #21
tsujeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
Can't tell because your pic is showing the right side of the output shaft housing
But this is the diff, courtesy of JB Conversions:
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p.../rear_out.html
Thanks for the pic, that was exactly what I've been looking for. Looks like I don't have the 1980 b/c my speedo thing-a-ma-jigger has a bolt. Bummer. I thought the PO told me it was from a 1980, I guess I heard or remembered wrong.

As far as the oil pan, I think I'm going to use it for mock up, decide how much clearance I'm going to have, and then order a larger capacity pan.
Unread 03-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #22
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Looking real good. What are your plans for the frame when it is all done with repairs/mods? Are you going to galvonize, powdercoat, etc.?
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #23
tsujeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Looking real good. What are your plans for the frame when it is all done with repairs/mods? Are you going to galvonize, powdercoat, etc.?
Thanks!
I'm going to have it galvanized and then I'll probably give it a few coats of spray paint.
Unread 04-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #24
tsujeeper

Update Time!!!

I'm sure there are few that have noticed but I haven't posted an update in a while. I think I've only worked on it two weekends since the last update but here goes!

Here's the engine with the new flywheel and Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch.

NP435 mated to a Dana 300 with new seals and other fun stuff all around!

Engine meet chassis!!!

Time to start the crossmember/skidplate....

Decided to do a little angling and some welding and grinding for a 'smoother' look

All bolted up!

You'll notice that there's no skid to the crossmember, that'll be coming shortly!
Unread 04-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #25
tsujeeper

A few overall shots as it sits today.

Unread 04-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #26
tsujeeper

Here's where I really need help. I'm trying to figure out how to to frame tie-ins for my cage and still keep the side pipes. Any bright ideas? I've got a few but I'm not sure they're so bright...

Unread 04-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #27
tsujeeper

Anyone have any ideas for the cage tie-in and the side pipes?
Unread 04-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #28
tsujeeper

So I'm considering not using frame tie-ins on the cage. I know they're a good idea and maybe if I go with in-frame headers down the road I'll go back and tie it in. I've yet to find anyone who has pictures of where a non-tied in cage punched through the floor.

I'm really going back and forth on this one...help?
Unread 04-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #29
jereader
1974 CJ5 

I can't really offer any help with your fabrication issues, but I can offer some encouragement. I've really been thinking about starting a frame-off rebuild/modification to my rig, and seeing threads like this one always make me want to do it even more. Keep up the excellent work, and keep posting pics!
jereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #30
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Excuse my weak paint brush drawing..

If you have about 2.5"-3" of space above the header collector, you could probably squeeze something like this in there. Use 1.5" YJ spring bushings inside 1.75"x.120" DOM tube for the isolator.

If you're not concerned about solid mounting, just do a "J" bend in a piece of tubing. Cut the tubing mid bend.. kind of like a "bologna" cut in an exhaust pipe..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.