Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project "Cage"

83K views 186 replies 66 participants last post by  thedetn8r 
#1 ·
Ok, so the tub posts (on my part) are going to take a vacation.
We have to fit up a few things before the tub comes back off.

Ordered a Kentrol Inc. Sport Cage. The kit came with L & R floor plates, the front sport bar 0.125, and a pair of pre-bent "kicker" tubes also 0.125. As well as some instructions.

So we put the bar in moved it around and decided on 3/4" off the windshield

Oh, we put the windshield frame in place and cleaned up the old brackets, I have new black stainless everything waiting for the after paint party. Also installed the stock "show" bar

Added some oak plank to keep the gap equal, checked the angle on both sides and marked the floor.

Placed the plates and found the pre formed plate angles needed about 7* more, so some massaging with the press and we have a nice fit

Cleaned up the plates, and measured up the bar for the needed cuts, leveled, measured, repeat, repeat, repeat, ..... cut!

BTW, I'll just show one side as the left and right work is almost the same thing. Just remember to line up the tube based on the body location, not the plate location.
Left:

Right:

Fooled ya!

Next we measured out the tube for the dash bar. Super Friend let me borrow this awesome tool:

Dash bar held in by compression, need to put in old dash and cut the dash pad to check height

More pics and details to follow shortly

See less See more
#3 ·
To bring this up to date,
After putting on the old dash panel, we cut the dash pad with a sawsall and used a belt sander to shape the sides of the pad:

put some JB Weld on the drivers end where it became a little frayed:

I'm looking for a product that I can paint on or dip the pad in to get a nice simi-hard finish over the foam again.

Pad installed and dash bar height adjusted

Put the seats in so we could check the fit of the diagonal lateral bar

Me and my son. First time we have sat in the Jeep since November

We bent two bars out of 2" 0.225 to match the ones that came with the kit. We'll install those shortly along with the lateral and a few grab bars.
Of course the lateral goes behind the seat but you get the idea.

Random shots:

Will stop this afternoon and pick up the 3/16" for the front and center frame tie in's. Need to order some isolators for the rear tie ins and cut out the rear quarter panel supports

#9 ·
Pretty cool looking stuff so far. We are definitely not doing things in the same order though.

Does that upper radius on the front bar bother you at all? I never really saw one from the angle you showed, and it looks like it takes out a decent chunk of your windshield- not that the upper corners will let you see much other than incoming aircraft, I guess.

#10 ·
84MSRB said:
Does that upper radius on the front bar bother you at all? I never really saw one from the angle you showed, and it looks like it takes out a decent chunk of your windshield- not that the upper corners will let you see much other than incoming aircraft, I guess.
It's not so bad, lil bit-o trade off

#12 ·
Well I was not able to pick up any steel Friday so I just did some small tasks to get ready for the frame tie-ins.

Cut up the last of my 3/16 plate.
Drivers front plate:

Drivers center, drilled out and ground off the old tie in nuts:

Plate is not enough, frame is going to hang up on the tub lip. Made isolators:

One plate was not enough to get out from the lip, used the right side plate I cut and looks like we're there.

Went back and put isolators under the front tie-ins:

Patterns are cut for the frame tie ins, will cut & install in the next few days.

#16 ·
jatepper said:
Looks good fatman. Looks like you two are having a good time with the rebuild. It seems like you guys have everything you need to do the job right.

Do you guys have any room for a foster adult to come and stay for a while?:laugh:
Hell yeah, just so long as we get to spend the winters in AZ with you! Lived in CO for 3 years, miss living out west.

#17 ·
My friend Eric came over Saturday and helped me prep stuff for the cage.
I spent a good bit of the day cutting up 4' of plate for frame tie-ins.

cut all of my pipe

made somw grab handles out of 1"

tube in place

cutting more tube

cutting plate

Eric prepping bar

Dash pad in place, need to sand, dash bar welded up

Oh yea, built an overhead, see Technical Articles & Write-Ups Section for full write up. Came out great.

Enjoy

#18 ·
Looks real good! You are inspiring me to get a tubing bender and break out the welder...

I thought you looked familiar. Were you in the service out at Buckley AFB? Maybe a contractor? I've been out there since late 98... Small world.

#19 ·
Totallymetal said:
I thought you looked familiar. Were you in the service out at Buckley AFB? Maybe a contractor? I've been out there since late 98... Small world.
That's was my brother, I'm the older, much smarter, and WAY better looking one! I got out of Ft. Carson, CO in 87.

Here's another pic of the cage as it is now.

Still need to tie into the frame (6 points),
Add grab bars,
Take it off and finish up the welds,
Paint it

#21 ·
You gonna paint it or have you thought about powder coating it?

#22 ·
My thoughts are POR15 through the sprayer. I believe that's what Eddie used on my bumpers.

Finally got some time to work on things tonight.

Removed the fuel line and prepped the frame on the right side center

shot of weld thru zinc

inside support welded in place

outside plate

Tac welded

Marked the left side center, I'll try to get the fuel return lines and rear brake line moved so I can get these welded in tomorrow.

Left and right fronts are cut and should be a snap to install......

#24 ·
Fatman said:
My thoughts are POR15 through the sprayer. I believe that's what Eddie used on my bumpers.
Yes Sir.. a couple coats of POR 15 followed by a couple coats of POR 15 Chassis Black. I spray the Chassis Black with a low psi and sort of "spatter" it on.. gives it a textured finish. Probably not the best finish for a frequent mudder but for everything else it looks pretty good. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
jpfaris said:
Fatman, your sig says 1" body lift but the pictures look like more than that, what gives????
LOL, yeah it's a 1" BL. The overall on the pucks = 1 3/4". Stock Rubber crap isolators = 3/4". So the net BL comes out to 1" over stock ... It's that new math stuff, heck I don't even understand it! :cheers2:

BESRK said:
Yes Sir.. a couple coats of POR 15 followed by a couple coats of POR 15 Chassis Black. I spray the Chassis Black with a low psi and sort of "spatter" it on.. gives it a textured finish. Probably not the best finish for a frequent mudder but for everything else it looks pretty good. :thumbsup:
Cool! I was wondering how you did that. I really like the look and texture of the bumpers and it should be a good finish for the cage and the console.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.