Project "Build Take 2" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project "Build Take 2"

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
Hybrid AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
What about the 203/205 doubler.....get that super low range... I just have this phobia/dislike of chain driven TCases... And I'm pretty sure NP205's are pretty easy to come by and you can probably find one that actually came behind a 700R4 to begin with if not already mated to a 700R... The 203 doubler just sounds awesome to me...
That might be an option. Ill have to do a bit more research on it. I assume the 203 is a passenger drop correct? I found this info online:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD
GM TH700 R4 / 4L60E Automatic Transmission:
The TH700 has the same bolt pattern on the back of the transmission as the TH350 and uses a 27 spline output shaft. Since the TH700 only came with the NP208 or later alum t-cases, it's shaft stickout is a little over 2" in factory form. One difference to be aware of is that the TH700 uses 4 metric bolts to secure the adapter to the transmission case.
There are two ways to bolt to the NP203. They are very similar to the TH350 mounting mentioned above.

1: replace the output shaft in the TH700 with an aftermarket output that sticks out of the case by about 7/8". This makes the output identical to the TH350 and you use a TH350 version NP203 with the 27 spline input and a TH350 to NP203 factory 1" thick adapter plate. This is the shortest method. The output shaft cost is $160 and it is available from ORD.

2: use the factory TH700 output shaft and the factory TH700 to NP208 adapter housing with a TH350 version NP203. You will have to re-drill and tap holes in the NP203 gearbox to be able to bolt it to the original NP208 adapter housing. You may also have to do minor machine work on the input bearing retainer on the NP203.
Option 1 seems like the best choice for me since I need to replace the output shaft anyways. Now the question... the cost of doing a doubler. 4:1 would be good for my needs imo.

Hybrid AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
Lifesgoodhere

hey where you at in VA?

This looks like an interesting project. I know 205s can be had for cheap. I think the local junk yard said they would let me have one for about $80, and it had only 110k miles on it. I told my fiend and he picked it up the next day for his 4X4 Chevy truck.
*The Homestretch ---- Finishing the Hammer. It's on!!
Lifesgoodhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #18
jeepsta
1983 CJ5 

As far as suspension goes, If it were me, I would go with coilovers in the front and a 1/4 elliptical setup in the rear. While you are at it, I say stick with the D60 and 14 Bolt. Sounds like you want to head down some harder trails.

1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions and neither do we.
jeepsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 05:11 AM   #19
Hybrid AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
hey where you at in VA?

This looks like an interesting project. I know 205s can be had for cheap. I think the local junk yard said they would let me have one for about $80, and it had only 110k miles on it. I told my fiend and he picked it up the next day for his 4X4 Chevy truck.
I'm located in Newport News, Va. I am going to check Pick-N-Pull whenever I get a chance to head over to Virginia Beach. Hopefully they have what I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsta View Post
As far as suspension goes, If it were me, I would go with coilovers in the front and a 1/4 elliptical setup in the rear. While you are at it, I say stick with the D60 and 14 Bolt. Sounds like you want to head down some harder trails.
Coilovers up front I could justify but I'm not sure about the 1/4 elliptical rear setup. Any idea on how it performs on the road? In no way am I intending the Jeep to be a trailer queen, I want to be able to drive it to the beach and back without headaches
Unread 04-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #20
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

K.I.S.S. You're drifting off the rails again...
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #21
Hybrid AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate View Post
K.I.S.S. You're drifting off the rails again...
haha. Found a FF Dana 60 for $150 locally... hopefully this guy comes through as the guy who was supposed to give me his extra got rid of it -_-

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.