Project advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project advice

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
atlshaun
1983 CJ8 

Project advice

Specs:
1983 Scrambler
Original 258 with 124k miles
BBD Carb
T5 Transmission
AMC 20 Rear / Dana 30 Front

I will post pics this weekend.

I bought it a few weeks back from the SW USA and it arrived 2 weeks ago. I have an '83 Scrambler with minimal to no rust. The tub has some surface rust and that will be the first thing I will want to take care of.

I sold the original wheels and tires that were on it and replaced them with MT Sidebiters (See my other thread for that debacle) and 33's. Now that those have been machined and fit perfectly I want to begin on my project.

My plan is to remove the tub and treat the underside to prevent it from rusting. While I have the tub off I am going to treat the frame, inside and out to do my best to withstand the rust there too.

The PO had installed a 4” Rough Country Lift and I have already bought a 4.5” Rubicon Express Lift with Monotube shocks to replace it. It’s sitting next to the Jeep as I type this.

My ultimate goal is to do ALL of the following, and I would like help organizing the order in which I do it and any other recommendations for additional items to attend to during the process.

Replace the Rough Country Suspension with the RE
Remove the tub and apply undercoating
Treat the frame, inside and out and also paint the axles
Treat the tub surface rust and then Line-X the inside of the Tub
Paint the Exterior (My plan is to do this at the very end)
Replace the BBD, it stalls at every single stop – with a Motorcraft 2150 kit from ebay
Team Rush Upgrade
Nutter bypass and removal of excess wires
Fix the issue with the Jeep shaking to pieces when starting in first gear
Upgrade to 1 piece Axles on the AMC 20
Regear the AMC 20 (Currently has 3.31’s) to 3.9 or 4.1
Potentially install a painless wiring kit
Replace differential fluids
Replace Dash Pad
Upgrade Brakes?
A/C install / upgrade
New half top and bulkhead

My budget is $15k

What say you?

atlshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
mike_bfdr
1981 CJ8 

what r u planning on doing with the jeep?
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
atlshaun
1983 CJ8 

Besides making sure I can keep it viable for the rest of my life...

60% on road driving and must be capable of interstate travel as I will use it 20% for hunting within a 3 hour radius of my home and 20% off road fun....none of which will require me to "rock crawl"...mostly light to mid level trail riding
atlshaun is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.