Project 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project 7

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
jeffkeenan123

Project 7

New member here from northern Co, cj7 with ford 302, np435......looking for help with the wires

jeffkeenan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
CSP

What wires and what kind of help? The info you gave is pretty useless.

Details, man, details!
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
jeffkeenan123

Sorry, I was figuring out how to make a thread. I have purchased a cj dash wire harness used and ir is kind of intimidating. I really don't know if this is a good starting point or if I should buy a new universal fuse box and start from scratch. I have the motor wired up temporarily with the ford engine harness and hooked to an aftermarket key though would like to hook the two harness together with someone looking over my shoulder.

image-1663521847.jpg
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Look closely at the harness and wiring diagrams and you will see that AMC designed it in 4.5 sections:

Engine
Front End Lighting
Instrument panel
Rear Body (mainly the rear lights)
Transmission (little bit that goes down to the tranny and transfer box for reverse and 4WD switches, not vital)

If you have purchased the Instrument panel harness it will start at the bulkhead connector, do everything for the instrument panel and dash and end in a much smaller connector under the dash that connects to the rear body harness.

To marry this stuff together you will need:

Ford engine harness
NP435 harness
CJ Lighting harness
Engine side of the bulkhead connector
Instrument panel harness (which you have)
Rear Body harness

It then becomes very simple, you install all the CJ stuff as God intended and then solder your engine and transmission harness wires into the tails coming out of the bulkhead connector on the engine side. You will need the wiring diagram to understand what each wire does but there are not very many.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
jeffkeenan123

Making progress

Ok things are coming along. I now can turn the key and the engine will fire but when I let of the key it doesn't run. I think I am missing a wire either to the selinoid or ignition or?
image.jpg  
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Your jeep is upside down. You need constant 12volt power source to the dist when the key is in the run position. Apparently you are pulling your power from the start position
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
jeffkeenan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5huntingrig
Your jeep is upside down. You need constant 12volt power source to the dist when the key is in the run position. Apparently you are pulling your power from the start position
Yeah, lucky I wasn't in it this time. Thanks for the input, I traced the wires and found a connector had come loose from the ignition module. It had been wrapped with tape. So after the untapeing process, I rewired the entire engine compartment. I was able to drive it today in the driveway, I installed the windshield frame and a drivers seat which looked like a very large person had sat in it for a very long time,I'll get a new one. Thanks again.
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Im sure you have your hands full and pockets empty by now but I would like to recommend going to hei distributor. Its one of the single best upgrades you can make.
Best. E

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.