Project 23's Paint - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project 23's Paint

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #106
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Sorry mate. Rust.

gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #107
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Going to attempt to remove the current roll bar to make room for the YJ family bar. Any tips or tricks I should know about prior to starting this? I really need to get this out since the family bar is taking up space in the new garage (specifically my wife's parking spot)
Unread 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #108
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
You realize you'll have to clean up that brake master and booster before you show off the finish product.

Just watchin' your back.....

Matt
That's easy to hide. Once I get the hood back on nobody will ever know ; )
Unread 04-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #109
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

A helper to lift it out. And blankets to protect the paint!

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #110
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
Going to attempt to remove the current roll bar to make room for the YJ family bar. Any tips or tricks I should know about prior to starting this? I really need to get this out since the family bar is taking up space in the new garage (specifically my wife's parking spot)
I did the same swap and I had to remove most of the torx bolts with my 4 1/2 inch "wrench". Once the factory bar was out I found the floor pretty much gone under all four mounting points due to rust. Fairly easy and straight forward fix though, cut,patch,prime,paint. Then sit your new bar in place and mark and drill your new holes,bolt it up and your done. I would recommend adding some backing plates on the under side at the least. And even better would be to go ahead and tie into the frame. Nice job so far its looking good.
chopki1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #111
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Steve,

If your roll bar is anything like mine, expect to twist the torx heads off about half of the mounting bolts. You'll get to know the drill/extract/re-tap technique well.

Also, expect to see some rust under the mounting plates, especially the ones on the floor. AMC chose to install the roll bars before the tub was painted, so there's bare metal under those plates.

In hindsight, I wish I had noticed that you didn't pull the roll bar before painting. I would have suggested you do so.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #112
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

My understanding is that the family bar should mount with the existing mounting holes from the stock bar. I shouldn't have to drill new holes. If I do need to drill new holes, I will have a family bar listed in the classifieds because I'm not drilling additional holes into my tub.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #113
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

There is a "soft spot" behind the passenger side front roll bar mount. I am expecting worse case scenario and I have my welder buddy on standby to work his magic. Hopefully the rust and rot didn't make it's way under the roll bar mounts. Other than that we should be in good shape.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #114
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
My understanding is that the family bar should mount with the existing mounting holes from the stock bar. I shouldn't have to drill new holes. If I do need to drill new holes, I will have a family bar listed in the classifieds because I'm not drilling additional holes into my tub.
Umm, that's your call. What I was talking about are the existing torx bolts that are holding the factory bar on. Most of those are probably rusted stuck. I twisted four of the torx heads off of mine. Those required drilling the old broken bolt out, then re-tapping the holes.

Matt
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #115
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7

Umm, that's your call. What I was talking about are the existing torx bolts that are holding the factory bar on. Most of those are probably rusted stuck. I twisted four of the torx heads off of mine. Those required drilling the old broken bolt out, then re-tapping the holes.

Matt
Matt,
I totally understand that some drilling and tapping will take place. What I was asking is does the existing mounting holes from the stock bar line up with the family bar mounting holes? I want to utilize the stock mounting holes to install the family bar.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #116
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I can't answer the bolt pattern question, but I bet a little searching would.

I don't know if you saw my tub repair thread, but this is what mine looked like under the roll bars, and then the subsequent repairs.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Matt
rollparpatch1.jpg   rollbarpatch2.jpg   rollbarpatch3.jpg   rollbarpatch4.jpg   paintfinal6.jpg  

Unread 04-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #117
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
The reason I said drill new holes is in my case I ran into rust under the mounting points. So the original mounting bolt holes got cut out and replaced with a blank piece of sheetmetal. Therefore I had to drill all new holes. It really wasn't that bad I would say total job from start to finish including removing the old bar,cutting out and patching the sheet metal,dropping in the new bar and drilling holes,bolting it up probably took me 5 hours total. And thats with no help. If you run into rust (good possibility) you will find it worth the trouble to remove and repair it. Here is a link to my thread. I covered my rollbar swap on the very first page. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my-1981-cj7-1263545/
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #118
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

It looks like me and Matt went down pretty much the same road. If you run into the same issues we did which are very common. You will need to cut out and replace. If you are lucky enough to have no rust then yes I'm pretty sure all but 1 bolt hole will line up on the yj bar. The one that doesn't line up isn't off by much from what I understand. From what I read during my swap all you would have to do is wallow out one of the holes in the bar mounting foot to make it work.
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #119
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

FINALLY!!! I will have some time to work on Project 23 as the wife is working 2-10 PM on Saturday. First up is removing the old roll bar. Hopefully that will go fairly well. If it turns out to be a disaster I will change my focus to getting the hood, tailgate, windshield frame, windshield installed. That way it will at least look like a Jeep again.
I have all the neighbors wondering what's under the cover in the garage. We just moved in and just about everybody that walks by asks what I'm hiding. I tell them that they'll find out in due time. Maybe I'll throw on some Cherry Bombs when I finally fire her up for the first time. That should get their attention
Progress pictures to come this weekend......
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #120
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Dude, you don't have that thing back together, yet? What's the hold up?

If you're pressed for time, I'd definitely start with the body, and skip the roll bar, for now. If your roll bar is like mine, it's going to take the better part of a 1/2-day to get it off. Save that for when you're not rushed.

I think you'll be surprised how quickly the rest of it goes together.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.