Project 23's Paint - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project 23's Paint

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #76
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Ya, I want to see if I can bring the original set back to life first. I did look at them on EBay and for the price, this might be an option.

PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #77
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
Now that they're all cleaned up I need to bring them back to life as they are dull and a bit faded. Anybody have any suggestions to bring them back to life?
If your flares are a fairly rigid plastic, I highly recommend Krylon Fusion!!! They'll look new and stay that way. Be SURE to clean any wax, oil, etc off (I use Sherwin Williams Automotive Surface Cleaner) before you spray them.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #78
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

The paint shop called to let me know the mounting bolts they forgot to paint are ready for pick up. Now I can get my hood, windshield frame and tailgate installed. I have to find somebody to put the windshield back in because I'm not going to risk breaking it.
I also called the powder coater this morning to see if they found my spare tire carrier hinge and they did. It got mixed up with somebody else's order. I will be able to pick that up tomorrow.
I bought some black Krylon Fusion paint for the wheel flares. Looking to spray the flares this evening after work. I also found a can of brilliant silver metallic Krylon Fusion paint. It's almost the same color as Project 23. I will use it to paint my wiper arms since I forgot to drop them off with the rest of the Jeep. I sprayed one of the headlight buckets real quick before work and it turned out nice. So I will be painting the buckets after work as well.
So it's coming along slowly. Once we are done moving I will be able to get this thing back together.
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #79
1983 CJ7 

The paint will probably pop where the bolts contact the hinges and and will probably pop off the bolts too, you might consider stainless. I used stainless bolts for this reason but I was sad to see the paint on the hinges pop.
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #80
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243
The paint will probably pop where the bolts contact the hinges and and will probably pop off the bolts too, you might consider stainless. I used stainless bolts for this reason but I was sad to see the paint on the hinges pop.
Not sure what you mean regarding the paint "popping"? With the stainless, are you suggesting that I use plain stainless bolts with no paint to match the rest of the Jeep? If so, that isn't going to happen on Project 23. I don't like the look of stainless on silver rigs.
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #81
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had that problem with my TJ after installing new door hinges. I used vaseline on the bolt holes after "popping" the paint on the first two bolts and it didn't happen on the rest of them. Just smear a little all around the hole where the bolt head will contact it, tighten the bolts, then wipe off the excess. May have just been a coincindence that the rest didn't do it, but it is worth shot.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #82
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
Not sure what you mean regarding the paint "popping"? With the stainless, are you suggesting that I use plain stainless bolts with no paint to match the rest of the Jeep? If so, that isn't going to happen on Project 23. I don't like the look of stainless on silver rigs.
Yes, I was suggesting using stainless bolts but not because your jeep is silver, because the paint on the bolts will probably crack. I used anti-sieze on the bearing surface of the bolts but still cracked the paint on a few hinges.

I was only passing on what happened to me and you didn't ask for my advice so I will keep quiet.
Unread 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #83
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243

Yes, I was suggesting using stainless bolts but not because your jeep is silver, because the paint on the bolts will probably crack. I used anti-sieze on the bearing surface of the bolts but still cracked the paint on a few hinges.

I was only passing on what happened to me and you didn't ask for my advice so I will keep quiet.
Oh stop it silly boy : )
I appreciate your input and would consider stainless if my Jeep was a darker color. I was actually able to get approx a pint of touch up paint from the painter. This will come in handy as I'm sure I'll crack some of the paint. Let's just hope it's only on the bolts......
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #84
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I put a bubble on my favorite Harley tanks, even though I let it set/dry/harden for 3 weeks. When I tightened the dash down, it bubbled in 1 spot on the edge, w/no cahance of touch up. You're farther ahead than I am. Maybe just finger tighten the light stuff, until you're ready to roll? Or go slowly when you start putting the bolts in, and keep an eye out for bubbles/cracking. Hate to see all that good work spoiled.
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #85
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

Came across this today on ebay. Its a 7 with the hood stripes you were thinking about.
screen-shot-2012-04-18-12.04.11-pm.jpg  
Bobs85Reny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #86
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs85Reny
Came across this today on ebay. Its a 7 with the hood stripes you were thinking about.
I was actually considering that color, but kept it close to stock. Decals look nice. Deciding if I should have the Jeep wet sanded and polished prior to purchasing decals.
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #87
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

About to start the process of putting the Jeep back together. What should I use when reinstalling bolts into the tailgate, windshield frame, etc (Lock Tight)? Should I apply some kind of sealer between the parts and hinges?
I want to do this right the first time. Also, need to figure this windshield install because I got a quote of 125 bills to have it done.
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #88
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Does the $125 include new glass?
If not, that's about $50-$75 too much!
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #89
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Nope, I have the glass, new seal and epoxy. Guess I need to call around some more...
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #90
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Around here I got prices of $100 for new glass, seal etc...
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.