Project 23's Paint - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project 23's Paint

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #31
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Well, the time frame that we agreed upon is three weeks so I'm not going to push them. They have other vehicles that they are working on as well so I have to stick with the agreement. I am also VERY impatient, but don't want to piss the guys at the shop off so they don't start cutting corners. Hell, the day it was dropped off at their shop, I showed up with a dozen bagels and some cream cheese and those guys were loving it. I even had the owner joking around with me which is not like him as he is a very serious person.
So with that, I will let them take the time agreed upon. If they start to yank my chain after three weeks, then I will will start to push a bit. Plus, this willl give me time to order my carpet, second amplifier and purchase a new soft top. It will all work out in the end

PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #32
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

3 weeks seems like a loooooong time to paint a CJ, to me, especially since you did the prep. But, if that's what you agreed to....

You're correct, it will work out. Somehow, I bet you find time to put it back together, when you see it with fresh paint on it.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Well, I thought the prep work was complete and to an amateur it probably was. When I went to check on progress today I was wrong. They fixed a few dents and dings and filled in areas which I thought were fine. So my amateur eye is exactly that.
I know three weeks is a long time, but I have to deal with a whole new world with packing up the house and possibly a divorce. So Project 23 is not really a priority in my life right now. It will eventually be finished, but not any time soon.
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Body was primed today. Full steel doors are being welded at the infamous weak spots these doors are known for. The doors, hood, tailgate, grill, rocker guards, windshield frame and dash are going out to the sand blaster on Monday. Those will then get primer and prepped for paint.
No pictures of this stage as I was too lazy to run back out to my car to get my iPhone.
Unread 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #35
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

So, I sanded down the family roll bar today since I have no way to get it to the paint shop. I am either going to paint it black or use some roll on bed liner. Not really sure yet, but I have time since I probably won't finish it till we are moved out of the house since we sold it the other night.
Other than that I haven't done much to Project 23 since I've been packing the house.
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #36
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Took 90% of Project 23's parts over to my brother's house. It will be stored over there with the parts currently in the paint shop until I get into a new place to live and everything clears with the house we just sold. I still need to take the windshield, sound bar, dash pad and the bottomless box of old parts I have over to my brother's.
Anyways, we should have paint on the vehicle sometime this week. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but with the sale of the house and packing, I have no time to think or sleep.....
Unread 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #37
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

Hey, it's looking good. I can't wait to see the new paint!
BeesJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #38
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Picked out the color today. Its actually a GM silver with cute little sparkles. The shop should be painting it next week as they are still waiting for the hood, doors, dash, windshield frame, etc to come back from the media blaster.
Either way I am in no hurry to get it back since most of my time is spent packing up a house to get ready to move.
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #39
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

If you don't mind, what was the tab to get the CJ transported to the paint shop?
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #40
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444
If you don't mind, what was the tab to get the CJ transported to the paint shop?
$75 round trip. My storage garage is about 30 minutes away. Not sure if they gave me a "deal" since they're raping me on the body work.
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #41
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
$75 round trip. My storage garage is about 30 minutes away. Not sure if they gave me a "deal" since they're raping me on the body work.
Well, Hopefully the final product will be a quality job... and the CJ won't slide off the back of the truck on the trip home!

Last edited by Ken4444; 03-22-2012 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: If I had 10 cents for every typo...
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #42
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

No real updates except that this is the longest three weeks of my life. I have not been to the paint shop since last week when I picked out the color nor have I heard from the shop. Either way it was promised to be done within three weeks which we are creeping up on.
I did drop a few more parts off at the powder coater though which should be done tomorrow. I also ordered a few small parts....
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #43
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I just called the paint shop and Project 23 is getting painted as I write this post. Should be getting clear coat later this evening and then left to bake and dry. I should get it back early next week............ Crap this is this going to be a long weekend
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #44
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Like a kid on Christmas eve....I love it.

Which parts are you powder-coating, bumpers, mirrors, hinges, or.....?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #45
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Mirrors, spare tire carrier, spare tire carrier hardware, mirror hardware, front light protectors and some other small stuff. I am actually thinking about getting new bumpers from that dirtworx cat so the bumpers weren't powdered.
I guess this weekend will be spent trying to find a good deal on some wheel dollies. This will give me the flexibility to move the Jeep into the middle of the garage when working on it. I also need to find a nice tool box for the garage since my tools are currently in 5 different places in the house. We just moved into a temporary townhouse until we figure out our next step. The garage at the townhouse is much smaller than at the house. It will be nice to have all my tools in one location for a change
I also need to get my family bar painted and some new carpet ordered.....This is going to be an expensive weekend and upcoming week....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.