Project 23's Paint - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project 23's Paint

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #151
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

This jeep is so Cool. I got to see it in person. There are not to many mods left to do on it that the PO hadn't done already.

By the way Steve, did you get my emails?

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #152
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the kind words John. The PO did take care of the Jeep and I thank them for all the money they saved me on the mods he or she did. They could have at least got the tach working before selling it
I did get your emails and the wiring is coming along, but I'm still nervous about burning Project 23 to the ground the first time I turn the key.
How's the roll bar going to work out for you?
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #153
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Hey, that's what fuses are for.
As far a your speedo goes, I got a couple of gauges that match the paint scheme of your speedometer needle (faded) or would you like it painted?

Those gauges that were in there are useless without some type of adapter to mount them. Did your PO leave you a bag of parts with something like this in them?

See the big white plastic mounts with the resistor thingie inside? .
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #154
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

John,
The adapters are actually still hanging onto the dash wiring in my Jeep. I guess you need those so the gauges are secure within the speedo casing
I can either send them to you or I will pay you if you have a few laying around.
As for painting the needles, I say while the casing is cracked open I wouldn't mind having them painted. Unless it will throw off the overall look of the speedo? NOt sure if everything else is faded? I would say use your judgement with painting them. I trust you
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #155
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Mail them to me. Don't forget any screws.

PM coming
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #156
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

"Don't forget any screws"
Dammit, I'm already missing a few screws and you want me to send you some? Time to up the medications to stay at least half way normal
I know, piss poor attempt at being funny.....
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #157
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

i lol'ed
Unread 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #158
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Windshield installed
image-285149674.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #159
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

So, I bought a set of used roll bar pads off Craigslist for 20 bucks. The PO did a little mudding which in turn got some mud on the fabric. How the H E double hockey sticks can I get this mud cleaned off? I used soap, water and a scrub brush and it's still in the fabric.
Has anybody ever used fabric paint on something like this? I'd rather have the shiny black instead of this denim crap. For 20 bucks these might be a good guinea pig to try some fabric paint.
image-495807158.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #160
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Getting some rust and rot removed from my baby : )
image-1404538628.jpg  
Unread 05-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #161
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Just got back from my lunch break at Home Depot and 4wd Parts. I picked up some odds and ends at Home Dopot (nuts, bolts, speaker wire, etc) to get this project closer to being "done".
From 4wd Parts, I picked up my new Tuffy stereo center console, antenna, air duct pieces, steering column parts, tailgate washers, wiper linkage clips and some other stuff.
Oh, I also picked up a pint of Herculiner to "patch" the floorboard where I had the rust and rot removed.
Anyways, the wifey pooh works most of the weekend so I will have tons of time to work on Project 23. Now I need to stop at the drive thru to get a case of beer
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #162
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Not much to report for progress. Had a busy day yesterday and then Mother's Day today. I managed to sand down the lip of the tub to add bed liner (since the numb nut painter painted over the original bed liner that I applied). I also cleaned up a few amps that will be installed to make the music sound a little better.
Other than that, I installed the visors, defrost duct work, bikini channel on the windshield and a few other small parts.
image-3108697518.jpg   image-122722287.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #163
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I started the process of installing the family bar since I couldn't find anything on TV. Word of advice, get somebody to help you put it in or taking it out of your rig. Those darn things are heavy and awkward.
Anyways, got all the floor mounting bolts installed (loosely) as the next step is to drill some holes in the windshield frame for the spreaders. Gotta pick up some nutserts tomorrow so I can finish this portion of the project.
Not sure why I keep avoiding the dash wiring. Eventually I will need to face the demons and figure out the wires.
If everything goes as plans, I might fire this thing up this weekend.
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #164
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Looking better and better every day. Can't wait to see it all together, now go get to work on that dash. Lol

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #165
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
So, I bought a set of used roll bar pads off Craigslist for 20 bucks. The PO did a little mudding which in turn got some mud on the fabric. How the H E double hockey sticks can I get this mud cleaned off? I used soap, water and a scrub brush and it's still in the fabric.
Has anybody ever used fabric paint on something like this? I'd rather have the shiny black instead of this denim crap. For 20 bucks these might be a good guinea pig to try some fabric paint.
id get some degreaser like purple power or simple green. if that doesnt get the stains out, then yeah, rattle can that sucker! krylon fusion or rustoleum fabric should do nicely and i bet it'll look pretty darn good too!
carefull not to get paint on the zippers. you might not be able to get them back off/on if they get coated.
keep the pics coming!

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.