Project 23's Paint - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Project 23's Paint

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #136
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Last night I added the Jeep and CJ7 emblems to the rear quarters. I also installed the tailgate rubber seal and the rubber stops on the spare tire carrier. I worked late so I didn't have much time to tinker around.....

cj7-emblem.jpg   jeep-emblem.jpg  
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #137
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Started the dreaded removal of the roll bar. One torx bit came out fine, one I had to grind down from stripping it and right now I'm taking a break.
Has anybody ever used a hand impact driver kit? I can't figure out how this thing works. Seen the guys on one of the Saturday morning shows use one, but still can't figure it out.
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #138
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

I used a lot of WD-40, let it sit for a few days and then take a hammer and chisel. Cut a good edge in the side for the chisel to fit in and start hammering. It took me a about a week, but they all came out. It would turn a little and I would spray some more WD on it and let it sit. In the meantime I worked on other things.
BeesJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #139
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

So, I finally figured out the Hand impact driver. I was able to get four of those stupid torx bolts out before the wifey pooh put a halt to my progress. I plan on getting the rest out tomorrow and if not by Friday evening.
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #140
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23
So, I finally figured out the Hand impact driver. I was able to get four of those stupid torx bolts out before the wifey pooh put a halt to my progress. I plan on getting the rest out tomorrow and if not by Friday evening.
Ya the torx were a pain on my cage as well, used up a whole can of PB blaster on those stubborn suckers. Good luck!

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #141
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Roll bar is out and we have ourselves a bit of rust and rot. Oh well, it was to be expected. Going to call my buddy to get his azz over here with his welding equipment. Shouldn't be a difficult fix....
image-2063966506.jpg   image-3801473672.jpg   image-161650483.jpg  
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #142
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Whelp, I figure since the dash is ripped out, interior is out, battery and tray are out and waiting till next week when my buddy can come over to fix the rust and rot, I;m going to proceed with the blower motor upgrade that I've been reading about. Along with this I will replace the heater core since I'm doing this.
Anybody have a good detailed break down step by step for this project? I looked under the sticky section, but nobody really has a good break down.
Anyways, here are the replacement parts I intend on going with. The parts will be purchased from NAPA.

Blower Motor
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...039_0365959607

Heater Core
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...(P_RecType%3aA)
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #143
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

This weekends plans are to work on replacing the key cylinder, turn cam, turn lever, add some back up lights and start going through the dash wiring. I have to order the blower motor and heater core so that will probably be next weekends project.
Along with the above, I will probably start putting the dash insturments back into the dash panel. I just remembered that I need to purchase a new speedometer as the original has cracked glass and the fuel sensor is inop. I would like to possibly try my hand at refurbing the original speedo, but the parts to do so would cost a little bit south of just buying a new one.
Who knows, but with this nice weather, I want to get this thing on the road. I'm not going to rush and half azz things. I want to do it right the first time so I don't have to go back to redo something.
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #144
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

So much for the local Napa. Went there and they are no longer there. Oh well, went to Auto Zone which is about a mile down the road and got the blower and heater core. I will start the "upgrade" this weekend. I'm trusting you guys since I just dropped a 50 spot on these parts
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #145
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Here is the write up I used to rebuild my heater box. Very detailed. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-heavy-975999/
chopki1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #146
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopki1
Here is the write up I used to rebuild my heater box. Very detailed. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-heavy-975999/
Very nice write up. This will help me get through this project and I thank you for taking your time to not only document your experience, but for taking the time to send me the link.
I will take the original heater core in to get checked as well as the replacement does look cheap and poor quality compared to the original.
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #147
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Met a great guy this weekend named John Strenk as he came out to my place to pick up the old roll bar, padding, etc. We chatted for about an hour and he was very helpful with pointers regarding the dash wiring. Now I need to get in gear to get the wiring ready for the dash install.
Last night I decided to change out the turn signal switch and the ignition lock cylinder. Like a doctor with mad skills I was able to get the turn signal switch replace in no time, but then ran across an issue with the ignition lock cylinder. The replacement ignition lock cylinder that I purchased is the type that's held in by a clip and I need the one held in by a screw. Oh well, I will visit the local Auto Zone to see if they can get me the correct part as I cannot stand waiting a week for 4wd Parts to order it and get it in for me to drive 30 minutes each way to pick it up. I figure this part is universal so Auto Zone should be able to help. I'm also wondering if they can order parts like a wiper switch or heater switch?
Other than that, I didn't really do too much to Project 23 this weekend. I could break into the heater blower replacement, but I want to get other things buttoned up first (ignition lock cylinder, turn signal switch, replacing the rot under the roll bar mounts and getting the dash insturments put back into the dash panel.

Thanks again John for coming out to my place. Again, my wife also thanks you for getting one of the roll bars out of her parking spot in the garage. Now I need to get my new roll bar and all the other crap out of her parking spot
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #148
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Steve,

A few tips on your roll bar repair.

As you know, the step in the floor panel is actually two pieces of sheet metal with an overlapping seam at the inside corner. That seam is exposed to the outside where it collects road grime from the tires.

After you cut out the bad sections, consider making the patch out of one piece of sheet metal, instead of matching the factory design. This will eliminate the grime-collecting seam in that area. See my pictures a few pages back.

Also, the u-channeled rail directly under the roll bar has an open end in the wheel well. This is another area that collects road crud and contributes to the problem under the roll bar. My solution was to fab some simple end caps for the rail.

Hope this helps.

Matt
rollbarbrace1.jpg   rollbarbrace2.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #149
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I'm already tired of all these wires in the dash. I have most of it sorted out, but still have some to figure out. Trying to figure out the tach wiring right now on the schematics I have. Guess its kinda hard to figure things out when you're 20 miles away from the Jeep (I'm at work).
Anyways, my buddy should be able to stop over this evening to start the repair of the rust and rot under the roll bar. I told him that I'm on a schedule and this is a important part. I really want to get the floor fixed so I can proceed with the installing the audio cables to the rear of the tub (amp will be installed under the rear seat), installing the carpet, installing the family roll bar, install the new Tuffy stereo center console, seats and so on.
I'm getting my new windshield tomorrow afternoon. I got a smoking deal since I know a guy from high school that installs them.
I'm going to wait on replacing the heater core and blower. That will happen later in the summer so I will be ready for the cool fall nights.
So right now I'm estimating 2 more weeks until Project 23 is back on the road. I am so stoked......
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #150
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

This project is all over the place. Instead of working on the wiring, I decided to sand around the edges of the tub (since the painter decided to paint over the bed liner that I told them not to paint over). Along with sanding I taped and papered around the tub so I don't have an accident with getting bed liner on the fresh silver paint.
So my buddy also bailed on me with welding new pieces of metal where the rust and rot is under the front roll bar mounts. I decided to call around to places I found on Craigslist. Waiting for a few guys to call me back to set up a date and time to get this done. Once this is done I will be able to get cracking on the new roll bar and interior.
image-4053284186.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.