problems with the howell tbi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > problems with the howell tbi

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 01-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
joe johnson

problems with the howell tbi

Well I put the entire system in as per the instructions except that I put the coolant temp sensor into the block because my offy has no spot for it. It runs down the highway nicely but idles like the choke is stuck on, every time I pull up to a red light and push the clutch in the engine drops to a few hundred rpm and trys to die, then it catches and somewhat smooths out but still trys to die while idleing at the light.
Then when taking off from the light it will bog down (again like the choke is stuck)
I thought the system doesn't have a choke so what is the problem?

joe johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

You should call Howell and speak to them. They have the best customer service and they're willing to walk through everything with you. It was pretty straight forward for me, but I didn't have any aftermarket manifolds or intakes.

The system doesn't have a choke. Seems like the ECM is fighting to compensate something... Maybe Howell will know from a previous issue and it could simply be burning you another chip.
Unread 01-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
joe johnson

can anyone tell me how to read the check engine lights and what codes are representative of?
Unread 01-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

A SERVICE ENGINE SOON light, should be built into your harness.
Turn ignition key on-engine off, using a common paper clip, jump the A and B terminal on the ALDL connector.
The Check Engine/Service Engine Soon light should begin blinking out trouble codes. To read the codes, you count the flashes of the light. The light will flash a number of times corresponding to the first digit, then pause, then flash a number of times corresponding to the second digit, then a longer pause before the next one.
"For example, code 12 would be flash, pause, flash flash"
Additional stored codes will flash out in ascending order by number.
Each code will be flashed 3 times.
When finished, remove the jumper to exit diagnostic mode.

SYMPTOM: Engine starts but runs poorly at idle or dies.

Check: System voltage at ECM fuse block. Must be within .5V of battery voltage while running.
Possibly poor connection through Jeep firewall to Jeep fuse
block, or inadequate wiring to ECM fuse block.
Temporarily run a bypass 14 gage wire from battery to the
ECM fuse block to see if that improves running.
If so, supply ECM fuses power from battery through an ignition-controlled relay.
Your switched 12v power must come from a terminal that is hot with key
on, and during cranking, and goes off when the ignition is turned off.

Check: For possible rich condition and black smoke at idle and low speeds. Test for
excess bypass return pressure causing TBI fuel pressure above 12 PSI.

ECM CODE LIST:

13 Oxygen sensor voltage stays between 0.35 and 0.55 volts for 60 seconds. Engine was at normal operating temperature and had been running for at least 2 minutes after start with a throttle angle above 5%.
14 Coolant temperature sensor signal indicates a temperature of over 275? F for 2 seconds.
15 Coolant temperature sensor signal indicates a temperature colder than -27? F for 30 seconds after the, engine has been running for at least 30 seconds.
21 TPS voltage was above 2.5 volts for 8 seconds when the MAP sensor signal showed manifold vacuum to be 15 pounds or more.
22 TPS voltage was under 0.2 volts for when the engine was running.
23 Inlet air temperature sensor signal showed an air temperature below -22? F after the engine has been running for 5 minutes.
24 When engine speed was between 1200 and 4400 RPM and throttle position angle was less than 3%, the MAP signal showed low voltage (high manifold vacuum) for at least 5 seconds.
25 Inlet air temperature sensor signal showed an air temperature over 302? F after the engine has been running for 5 minutes.
32 EGR open command did not change the fuel mixture when the command was given during off idle operation. EGR opening should cause the mixture to be slightly richer because of the low oxygen content of exhaust gas.
33 MAP sensor signal voltage was too high (low vacuum) for 5 seconds when throttle opening was under 4%.
34 MAP sensor signal voltage was too low (high vacuum) when engine speed was over 1200 RPM, or the throttle angle was above 21% when engine speed was over 1200 RPM.
42 The EST signal did not change when the ECM applied bypass voltage to the ignition module.
43 The ECM did not detect a knock signal during near wide open throttle operation with coolant temperature above 194? F or the knock signal was present for 5 seconds or more during normal engine operation.
44 Oxygen sensor voltage was under 0.25 volts for 50 seconds of closed loop operation.
45 Oxygen sensor voltage was over 0.7 volts for 30 seconds after engine had been running for 1 minute with a throttle angle between 2% and 20%.
51 PROM error.
52 CALPAK error.
54 Fuel pump voltage was not present at fuel pump sense line for 2 seconds after the ECM has sent the fuel pump on command.
55 ECM error. Replace ECM.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know how LT1CJ7 knows so much about the Howell, but it sure is good that someone does know the code and how to read them. Cudos....
Unread 01-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
John N
1981 CJ8 

Start with their customer service, it's good. If that doesn't seem to get you where you want, PM me. I had to work through some issues when I put mine on and have the email for someone else who did too. Their customer service got us both straight.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
joe johnson

what exactly is the aldl? is it the diagnostic port?
by the way thanks for the info I am sure that I will use this alot in the future.
Unread 01-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Yes, it's the diagnostic port
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link (ALDL)
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2005, 07:02 AM   #9
MudMonster

same problem for a while, check the return line first...

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.